#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
ZLE Track Prep

Hi!

Haven’t had my zle for very long, and although I was planning on waiting to track it next year, I got a potential opportunity to get the car out pretty soon here without much time to get the car ready.

I know I will for sure change to the high temp brake fluid, change to the recommended track oil, and swap the diff fluid as I am not sure if that has ever been done.

My question is mostly on alignment. The car has pretty new ps4s tires. If I do one track day on the stock alignment is this going to totally shred the tires or will the negative impact be mostly from a loss in performance, which I am ok with. I haven’t been on track in a long time so no issues taking it easier. Is everyone going with the track spec in the manual?

If I can get a track alignment done, does everyone just swap back to the street setting and let the toe be as is? My plan is to do 3-5ish track days this next year and hopefully more in the future as my kids get a bit older.
The car doesn’t get driven a ton just fun weekend drives otherwise.

Also going to pick up some track armour or similar.

Any other must need items?
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
When are you potentially going out? There’s a 9/4 event a Thunderhill I’m attending. You should join!

And someone is selling a good set of SC3rR’s for $450 locally if you want
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
1) Congrats on returning to the track!
2) I did my first event with the ZLE with the street alignment - no issues whatsoever. I always like to experience before making changes so I know what the changes result in.
3) I have done all events since then with the track alignment. The car really comes alive with the track alignment, no way am I going back to the street alignment.
4) I run the track alignment on the street and track, its not a daily driver so i am not that concerned about the increased wear on the street.
5) The key changes for the track for me were the ones recommended in the manual - engine oil, differential fluid, rain deflector, alignment, and air pressures. I switched to Castrol SRF (not in manual) and also got a jack pad in case I needed to jack the vehicle while at the track. Everything else was my usual track preparation/tools.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:08 AM   #4
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572903

^^^ has really good info
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Official track prep guide -

https://camarosofmichigan.com/2018/2..._guide-min.pdf
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
When are you potentially going out? There’s a 9/4 event a Thunderhill I’m attending. You should join!

And someone is selling a good set of SC3rR’s for $450 locally if you want
That is my birthday! But I am helping my sister move that day unfortunately.

I might try to do a SpeedSF event on 10/02 or 10/03.

I would be interested in those SC3Rs but doing all this prep isn't going to be cheap!! I am going to buy those ZL1 add ons jack pads, and probably a self bleeder/pump contraption since I dont have anyone to help me with bleeding the brakes. maybe if they are still around next month lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexslayer View Post
2) I did my first event with the ZLE with the street alignment - no issues whatsoever. I always like to experience before making changes so I know what the changes result in.
3) I have done all events since then with the track alignment. The car really comes alive with the track alignment, no way am I going back to the street alignment.
4) I run the track alignment on the street and track, its not a daily driver so i am not that concerned about the increased wear on the street.
5) The key changes for the track for me were the ones recommended in the manual - engine oil, differential fluid, rain deflector, alignment, and air pressures. I switched to Castrol SRF (not in manual) and also got a jack pad in case I needed to jack the vehicle while at the track. Everything else was my usual track preparation/tools.
This was my mentality on starting with the street alignment as well, but I am reading a lot of similar feedback that the track alignment makes for a much more enjoyable time out.

I was wondering how bad the track alignment would be on the street. The PS4S are not a horrible tread rating tire, but my next tire will probably be the r888r, and I know these wear quite a bit faster. I don't want to have to realign all the time, or potentially ruin them street driving them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
Thank you, I have read that thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
Thanks, I will save this to reference.

Who else runs track alignment all the time?? Are some of you swapping the plates back and forth between track/street or is there really not that big of an improvement in wear?

And did you all go with the track alignment per the track prep manual? Is that deemed to be the best spec to run?
Old 08-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexslayer View Post
I agree with everything above, except spending big $ on 2 days of track events + track insurance, tires (!!!), etc with street alignment on a ZLE. Set alignment to factory reco for track on day one and learn to drive it like that, then add more camber (3.0+) adjust toe, etc.

Definitely use SRF or Brembo Racing, Motul 660 cooked in mine and SRF/Brembo did not.

Start the SC3Rs at 26-27 PSI cold going out and adjust to 34-35 PSI hot coming off.

Start in Track mode with PTM off, then try PTM in different modes working your way up to Race. Race is awesome and still gives some protection, great drivers go faster with system in FULL OFF, but I stay in Race.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I agree with everything above, except spending big $ on 2 days of track events + track insurance, tires (!!!), etc with street alignment on a ZLE. Set alignment to factory reco for track on day one and learn to drive it like that, then add more camber (3.0+) adjust toe, etc.

Definitely use SRF or Brembo Racing, Motul 660 cooked in mine and SRF/Brembo did not.

Start the SC3Rs at 26-27 PSI cold going out and adjust to 34-35 PSI hot coming off.

Start in Track mode with PTM off, then try PTM in different modes working your way up to Race. Race is awesome and still gives some protection, great drivers go faster with system in FULL OFF, but I stay in Race.
Thank you! I don't have the SC3Rs. On pretty new PS4Ss.

Looks like I wont be able to get an alignment for two weeks so this track day I had planned either wont work or will be on street alignment.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Thank you! I don't have the SC3Rs. On pretty new PS4Ss.

Looks like I wont be able to get an alignment for two weeks so this track day I had planned either wont work or will be on street alignment.

oof you not gonna have a good time ps4s and no track alignment lol i would just cancel that shit
Old 08-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #10
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
oof you not gonna have a good time ps4s and no track alignment lol i would just cancel that shit
lol that bad huh!?
Old 08-30-2021, 04:22 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
haha i wouldnt go back to them and without the track alignment especially with those tires unless its your first time out its not gonna be fun
Old 08-30-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
SFV1LE

Quote:
lol that bad huh!?
Yes I agree, order some new 3Rs. Isn't there someone in this thread that had a line on some good condition used 3Rs for local pickup in your area for $450? If yes, PM him and get those asap, great price and I've run some used ones before and they were great.

As long as they haven't been tracked and fronts still have tread grooves on the inside and outside edges they will be almost as good as new. Fronts wear ~2x faster.

If you run the PS4S you may destroy those, at $1600+/set not worth it.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #13
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Yes I agree, order some new 3Rs. Isn't there someone in this thread that had a line on some good condition used 3Rs for local pickup in your area for $450? If yes, PM him and get those asap, great price and I've run some used ones before and they were great.

As long as they haven't been tracked and fronts still have tread grooves on the inside and outside edges they will be almost as good as new. Fronts wear ~2x faster.

If you run the PS4S you may destroy those, at $1600+/set not worth it.
How many track days are people getting on their 3Rs?

I probably need to get a set of wheels for the track...
Old 08-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #14
SFV1LE

Quote:
How many track days are people getting on their 3Rs?

I probably need to get a set of wheels for the track...
Depends a lot on driving style, alignment quality and how fast you're lapping. Best drivers get 2-3 days of fast laps with ~3 10-15 min sessions/day, beginner to intermediate who isn't sliding and spinning tires too much 4-5 days (maybe more).

The rears will last at least 4 days of fast laps, the fronts only 2-3. I use Hot Lap Victory Lane treatment before and between events to extend life, it works. And if you buy new from Tire Rack have them heat cycled.

APEX makes some good affordable track wheels for ZLE.