Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #1
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Rear License Plate Mounting

My rear license plate is only mounted by the top two screws and the small amount of movement has caused some wear on the bumper cover.

I want to avoid further damage, and add two screws on the bottom of the plate as well. I will polish the bumper cover to see how much that will help, and maybe get a license plate cover if needed.

I would like to get some new license plate screws (the factory screws look horrible) I am planning on finding some washers to slightly get the plate off the fender cover.

I know there are little pilot dimples on the bumper cover for the bottom screws. My question is, is there a clip/nut/something to retain the screws behind the cover at all the dimples, or what does the dealer do to get the screws tight?

Should I drill a small pilot hole or use the self tapping screws? I am leaning on using a small drill, but just want to confirm.

Any recommendations on a hardware set and/or a flat black frame to match the ZLE trim?

Thanks!
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
mosaic6

Drives: ZL1 1LE M6, Pontiac TransAm 400-T10
I had the same issue. My solution was to just get a black silicone rubber license plate holder. It's durable but soft & solves the problem for me.
mosaic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosaic6 View Post
I had the same issue. My solution was to just get a black silicone rubber license plate holder. It's durable but soft & solves the problem for me.
Your holder is only attached with two screws still? Like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Silicon...14708541&psc=1
Old 07-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
mosaic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Your holder is only attached with two screws still? Like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Silicon...14708541&psc=1
Yes it's very similar to that one. The silicone is thick enough and fits the license plate very tightly so the top screws seem to be enough to keep it in place without movement.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #5
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
I tripped over this bracket at Walmart a couple of years ago while shopping for something else. I haven’t seen anything I liked better.
Attached Images

Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosaic6 View Post
Yes it's very similar to that one. The silicone is thick enough and fits the license plate very tightly so the top screws seem to be enough to keep it in place without movement.
This is good to know. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkure View Post
I tripped over this bracket at Walmart a couple of years ago while shopping for something else. I haven’t seen anything I liked better.
I think I would prefer the no frame look if I cant see the frame wear, but this frame looks awesome! I would consider not using the 4 holes if the frame is a 2 hole frame like this.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #7
mosaic6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkure View Post
The RedHot looks awesome!
Old 07-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #8
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
food for thought.....

2 people have had plates stolen out of our parking lot in the last 1.5 months. we are in an industrial area that only has us and one other building working at night but well lit and cameras everywhere. both were taken around 11pm. vid of both being lifted but neither car had plates(duh) so no way to figure it out.

going to replace all of our personal license plate bolts this weekend with torx to make it a little harder. heard stories it's happening in other areas as well. both plates were std but heard some personalized are hotter targets....

f'n thieves!!
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:03 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
My rear license plate is only mounted by the top two screws and the small amount of movement has caused some wear on the bumper cover.

I want to avoid further damage, and add two screws on the bottom of the plate as well. I will polish the bumper cover to see how much that will help, and maybe get a license plate cover if needed.

I would like to get some new license plate screws (the factory screws look horrible) I am planning on finding some washers to slightly get the plate off the fender cover.

I know there are little pilot dimples on the bumper cover for the bottom screws. My question is, is there a clip/nut/something to retain the screws behind the cover at all the dimples, or what does the dealer do to get the screws tight?

Should I drill a small pilot hole or use the self tapping screws? I am leaning on using a small drill, but just want to confirm.

Any recommendations on a hardware set and/or a flat black frame to match the ZLE trim?

Thanks!
I put these on all of my cars: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
This, 100%. I curse myself for not buying this on day 1 and putting up with the frame that eventually scratched my paint.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #11
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This, 100%. I curse myself for not buying this on day 1 and putting up with the frame that eventually scratched my paint.
Do you guys have this mounted with all 4 screws or just 2? If just 2 did you remove the frame after some time to check if there is any scratching on the bumper cover?
Old 07-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Adhesive felt pads (furniture type) behind the plate keep it from scratching the paint.

Metal plate cover from Walmart and some FIFTY badges from Ebay completed the look.

If you want it to match the Mosaic Black Metallic trim, you'll need to get a spray can of GB8 WA834A from somewhere like this:
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ch.../buypaint.aspx
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #13
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This as well here, it mounts with all 4 screws (left off the little screw covers that come with it) and keeps everything stationary and protected
Old 07-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Adhesive felt pads (furniture type) behind the plate keep it from scratching the paint.

Metal plate cover from Walmart and some FIFTY badges from Ebay completed the look.

If you want it to match the Mosaic Black Metallic trim, you'll need to get a spray can of GB8 WA834A from somewhere like this:
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ch.../buypaint.aspx

I would be concerned that wit the felt pads, if there is ANY movement, they would wear the clear. If the plate is attached with 4 screws it would not move obviously, but then I think I would rather use something else like nylon washers on all the screws to keep the plate off the clear.

I have a 1LE so I would need the flat black. Any idea what would match that if I go that route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
This as well here, it mounts with all 4 screws (left off the little screw covers that come with it) and keeps everything stationary and protected
Any experience with drilling the two additional holes? Just trying to get some more info on that.

I think I might just order this frame/cover anyway.

I might call or stop by the dealer and ask them about how they drill the two bottom holes as it sounds like everyone here had them done by the dealer.

EDIT: Just ordered it. Now just need to figure out the 2 bottom hole mounting process.