Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #1
cdubbs

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro 2SS
*Update!* Got into an accident last Friday... Do you think its totaled? 2020 2SS

So.... I was minding my own business in the middle lane of a 3 lane interstate and someone in a white sedan decided they really wanted to be in my lane. Basically dive-bombed into my lane without looking, about parallel with my vehicle.

I instinctively swerved into the left lane, clipping a Fusion and both the Fusion and I went into the concrete barrier with the person causing the entire accident jetting off.

So now my 2020 Camaro 2SS has significant damage on the right side of the vehicle, hit the concrete barrier at a bit of an angle somewhere between 40 and 60 mph. Side airbags deployed on both sides, plus the driver's seat airbag. Radiator was cracked as well below the right headlamp, leaking coolant on the ground.

What do you guys think? Is it a total? I know the market is crazy right now and values are way up, If I wanted to buy a similar 2SS (2020, 10,000 miles) I would be paying $50k or close to it in my area.
Attached Images

Last edited by cdubbs; 05-15-2022 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Updated the title.
cdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Yes
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:13 PM   #3
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
My bet, yup. Had a similar one years ago and they wrote it off. You’ve got nearly the entire side of the car, plus front and rear plus hood plus airbags. I’d say its done.

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yep it’s a total. I would say if it’s not then I don’t know if I would keep it if repaired. That’s a lot of body damage.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Ugh… that’s a nice car (or was a nice car). Glad you’re OK. No idea whether it’s totaled or not…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #6
cthulhucaller

Drives: 2022 1SS Team Joe and Becky
Yikes. Glad you're okay, but you probably want to get all your personal belongings out of that car as it looks like the insurance company is buying it.
cthulhucaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
cdubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Ugh… that’s a nice car (or was a nice car). Glad you’re OK. No idea whether it’s totaled or not…

Yeah, thanks. I really liked my car, had it just the way I wanted it..

Im doing fine, no injuries except for a small bruise on my left pectoral from the seat belt. Really impressed with how well the car absorbed the impact tbh.. didn't feel a whole lot, but it was over rather quick without much time to take it all in.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:36 PM   #8
Cptchris

Drives: Camaro 2019 2SS
Everyone makes it sound that these cars are just totaled if they get in accidents.
Looks like it’s a lot but the car doesn’t looks like it should be totaled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cptchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:39 PM   #9
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
You’d be surprised how little it takes to total out these cars. It’s not a matter of if it can be fixed, everything can be fixed. But, I’d pretty surprised if that car is repaired by insurance.

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:43 PM   #10
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptchris View Post
Everyone makes it sound that these cars are just totaled if they get in accidents.
Looks like it’s a lot but the car doesn’t looks like it should be totaled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The chassis is most likely warped beyond repair. It will never drive the way it once did. Tons of stuff needs straightened, repaired, or replaced. Easier to write it off...
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:46 PM   #11
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Once airbags pop out, I would actually fight to get the car totalled, as much as that would hurt me emotionally.

Too much potential for troubles down the road.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:49 PM   #12
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
The chassis is most likely warped beyond repair. It will never drive the way it once did. Tons of stuff needs straightened, repaired, or replaced. Easier to write it off...

Correct. I hope they total it. They have to give fair market value so you can replace it with a similar used model.

This is why I wonder if they will total it. Companies don't want to be paying bigger $$$ for totaled cars in this market right now. They'd try and repair it.

I would be p*ssed if they didn't total it and want it repaired. The thing is beyond tainted now.

If you get a good payout I would keep the money in a savings account or something for a few months. When prices drop on the used ones go pluck one up and used the extra cash towards some mods.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:20 PM   #13
prod

Drives: HHR
I hope it is totalled, but honestly it may not be. In my experience insurance companies look at the bottom line. If it takes $49k to put it back together instead of $50k to total it, they will do whatever is cheaper.
Another thing in your favor though is parts availability, right now the industry in general is having supply issues. If there are no parts, they cant fix it.
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:44 PM   #14
cdubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prod View Post
I hope it is totalled, but honestly it may not be. In my experience insurance companies look at the bottom line. If it takes $49k to put it back together instead of $50k to total it, they will do whatever is cheaper.
Another thing in your favor though is parts availability, right now the industry in general is having supply issues. If there are no parts, they cant fix it.

Hopefully they don't try to fix it and it gets delayed to hell. It would suck to wait over a 2 or so months to have my car back in a condition that would never be the same to what it was before.

But I think it would need a steep repair bill to get totaled out, unless they take future safety concerns into consideration. Some damage may not be found and cause issues later down the road that could add liability to the insurance company.

Tags
2ss, accident, camaro, total, wreck