Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
Bubbafire88

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss A6 "Chief"
High flow cats?

Hi, I just bought my 2010 camaro 1ss/rs auto a little over a month ago and It came with a borla axle back, h-pipe and an afe power intake, I bought an sct tuner for a a couple weeks ago from rdp store and I’m getting some speed engineering headers and I was wondering if I should just spend the extra money on some high flow cats because I live in Texas and they don’t allow cat less cars, and I’m not sure which high flows to go with or if I should just stick with the stock cats.
Bubbafire88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
If you live in an area with emissions inspections or smog testing, then yes, get the cats.

But if there is no chance you will be tested, visual or probe, you can likely safely run catless. Just beware it will be a little louder/raspier and a LOT stinkier. Personally, I love that smell though, but it sticks to your clothes. The horsepower gain from going catless with long tubes is negligible. Some people run high flow cats just because it can clean up the exhaust sound a little bit onb long tubes, depending on your exhaust of course.

And just for the record, NO state allows removing the cats or tampering with emissions equipment. It's just a matter of enforcement and how your state handles it. I live in Florida where it's a no mans land and inspections are unheard of. If we had safety or emissions inspections we would probably lose 30%+ of the cars on the road down here.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Bail the stock cats for high flows for sure. Bunch of universals out there that are fine. Many in the $100 range. Does Texas actually have emissions or any kind of checks?
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
If you live in an area with emissions inspections or smog testing, then yes, get the cats.

But if there is no chance you will be tested, visual or probe, you can likely safely run catless. Just beware it will be a little louder/raspier and a LOT stinkier. Personally, I love that smell though, but it sticks to your clothes. The horsepower gain from going catless with long tubes is negligible.

And just for the record, NO state allows removing the cats or tampering with emissions equipment. It's just a matter of enforcement and how your state handles it. I live in Florida where it's a no mans land and inspections are unheard of. If we had safety or emissions inspections we would probably lose 30%+ of the cars on the road down here.
Posted at the same time lol and thats where I was going. Mine are gone as its not enforced here
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
If you need high flow cats you should get high flow cats. Smog tests will definitely rat you out, but if you don't have a sniffer test you'll fail the visual test.

If you have long tube headers you cannot utilize the stock cats. Check out Texas Speed for high flow cats. Most people who have bought Speed Engineering headers and need cats go with their high flow cats.

Side note, for those who are considering budget friendly long tubes but need high flow cats, you can't beat OBX.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
If you are buying from Speed Engineering...why not get their cats too?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
saluki

Drives: 2017 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
If you need high flow cats you should get high flow cats. Smog tests will definitely rat you out, but if you don't have a sniffer test you'll fail the visual test.

If you have long tube headers you cannot utilize the stock cats. Check out Texas Speed for high flow cats. Most people who have bought Speed Engineering headers and need cats go with their high flow cats.

Side note, for those who are considering budget friendly long tubes but need high flow cats, you can't beat OBX.
texas speeds offroad pipes look just like high flow cats if he only has the visual inspection.

'13 SS @ Burkhart Chassis
saluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #8
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
If you are buying from Speed Engineering...why not get their cats too?
Because Speed Engineering doesn't sell cats.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:53 PM   #9
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

Some people run high flow cats just because it can clean up the exhaust sound a little bit onb long tubes, depending on your exhaust of course.

Exactly why I went with high flows. Haven’t fired it up yet but, hoping it also will help with possible drone issues at certain rpm’s.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #10
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Wtf... I thought Texas didn’t have emissions. If they do, then I have to rethink moving down there.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:01 PM   #11
Avenging Orange

Quote:
Because Speed Engineering doesn't sell cats.
How dare they make their mid pipes look amazingly like high flow cats!

https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...ion-pipes.html
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Old 02-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #12
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
How dare they make their mid pipes look amazingly like high flow cats!

https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...ion-pipes.html
They may look like them, but they aren't. It's an attempt to let their end users fool the visual inspectors. However, a tap on them will indicate that they are hollow.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #13
Avenging Orange

Quote:
They may look like them, but they aren't. It's an attempt to let their end users fool the visual inspectors. However, a tap on them will indicate that they are hollow.
Sneaky little devils. Whatever gets the job done.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:45 AM   #14
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Here in Texas there is no sniff test. As far as a visual inspection, they don't really do anything except plug into the obd port and as long as you don't have any codes your good USUALLY. Now if you have an exhaust that is loud as hell they might take a look but probably not likely. I would say if your worried about it I would go with cats but I'm not going to worry about it. The shop that I'm going to get to do my tune asked me if I was going to run cats or not and I told him no and alls he said was that will sound good. So I think it just depends on where you go.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote