#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-27-2022, 09:02 PM   #15
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Is it possible that a good tuner can squeeze more performance out of our cars AND remain legal and within the boundaries of Federal laws? I mean, why do things have to be done illegally in the first place. Sure it was the way to do things in the past. But why can't tuners just do things the legal way? We have HF cats that can support 1200+ RWHP these days. And there are plenty of cars making crazy HP legally and even at that, they're making much faster and faster cars legally. So why is everyone soo stuck on the old silly illegal ways of doing things without even considering that we might be able to make the same or better performance legally? Not for nothin but companies like Roush, SLP, Calloway, Lingenfelter, and many others have been doing things this way for a long time. Even dealerships like LFP and others have been offering fully legal full warrantied brand new 700+ HP supercharged GTs for years. It can be done properly.

In any case, my ZL1 is already tuned to where I want it. I could go for more performance with more displacement and boost, but at this point it's not even worth it. My tuner/builder can get my GT500 to some pretty decent numbers while keeping it legal. My HC has the stock cats but I can get HF cats and LTs and squeeze a little more out of it. So none of this really bothers me too much.

It is a big deal because it is not going to stop here. You think they are done now? Anytime we give them an inch they will take a mile. If they get their way when they are done it will be illegal to put different mufflers on.

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:10 PM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtie View Post
It is a big deal because it is not going to stop here. You think they are done now? Anytime we give them an inch they will take a mile. If they get their way when they are done it will be illegal to put different mufflers on.

It's not even specific people that are pushing these extreme viewpoints one inch at a time, but that negative, downward spiraling, controlling mindset that sucks them in... and then many of them even believe they are doing the "right thing" and they provide a "service to society". However, time to stop right here before this thread gets shut down, too.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:44 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
It's disgusting how limited we are without having to do work arounds or know a guy.

If my family and friends weren't here I'd be so out of here in a heartbeat. The politics kills it for me.
+1

I ain't staying longer than I need to.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:08 AM   #18
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtie View Post
Well it's a different world than it was even 10 years ago. So you better get used to it. Personally, none of this bothers me one bit.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:44 AM   #19
Metal_AF

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Well it's a different world than it was even 10 years ago. So you better get used to it. Personally, none of this bothers me one bit.
I don't know man, not being able to tune your car can be kind of crippling to the hobby.
Metal_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:37 PM   #20
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
This could turn out to be sage advice…

If someone was really smart, they’d start a tuning company based in another country, then sell tuning to Americans…

This is already happening on the diesel side of the world.

If you have a Dodge 1500 or Wrangler EcoDiesel, you buy a PCM, ship it to a company in Canada, they bench flash it and send it back.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #21
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_AF View Post
I don't know man, not being able to tune your car can be kind of crippling to the hobby.
You gotta remember tho that the vast majority of people out there couldn't care less about modding cars. These are people who drive their Toyota Camry to work and back and have no idea that an entire hobby is out there. So when these decisions are being made, unless there are some hardcore enthusiasts present to speak on behalf of the industry, like there are for gun owners, then nothing is going to be done to prevent these things from happening.

And the thing is, they're not saying you can't tune your car. You just can't touch anything that could be used to alter the detection of emissions. There are still plenty of tables that can be changed to increase performance. It's just time for the tuners to hit the drawing boards again and figure this stuff out. Like I said, there are many aftermarket companies that offer high HP and high than stock performance packages include blowers and they're doing it completely legally and emissions friendly. So it can be done. Plus there are all kinds of methods available these days...like using spark plug defoulers or filtered spacers etc etc.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #22
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Or, and hear me out here, the government could maybe focus on the multitudinous issues that are actually severely negatively affecting the average American's daily quality of life, and **** off with this shit...but then again I'd prefer they **** off on focusing on ANYTHING so I'm probably not the best voice to fight this.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:44 PM   #23
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
You gotta remember tho that the vast majority of people out there couldn't care less about modding cars. These are people who drive their Toyota Camry to work and back and have no idea that an entire hobby is out there. So when these decisions are being made, unless there are some hardcore enthusiasts present to speak on behalf of the industry, like there are for gun owners, then nothing is going to be done to prevent these things from happening.

And the thing is, they're not saying you can't tune your car. You just can't touch anything that could be used to alter the detection of emissions. There are still plenty of tables that can be changed to increase performance. It's just time for the tuners to hit the drawing boards again and figure this stuff out. Like I said, there are many aftermarket companies that offer high HP and high than stock performance packages include blowers and they're doing it completely legally and emissions friendly. So it can be done. Plus there are all kinds of methods available these days...like using spark plug defoulers or filtered spacers etc etc.
This is false, depending on where you live. IT IS illegal in California to have any tune on your vehicle, not just emissions parameters altered.
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:45 PM   #24
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
doesn;t bother you yet because you havent been inconvenienced, or had your behavior changed yet (much). its going to get way worse but at that point it will be too late.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:24 PM   #25
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
doesn;t bother you yet because you havent been inconvenienced, or had your behavior changed yet (much). its going to get way worse but at that point it will be too late.
Amen!
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #26
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
It might take a while, but someone will find an alternate solution. I have a lot of confidence in peoples ability to circumvent government regulations.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:08 PM   #27
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post

Too late for what? To be inconvenienced some more?
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #28
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded4SS View Post
Too late for what? To be inconvenienced some more?
inconvenienced at a minimum. trying to deal with jumping through hoops, etc.

at worst be required to be all stock 100% of the time, or most mods the juice is not worth the squeeze. CA is probably a good preview of what is coming, or CAN come.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote