#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-12-2022, 12:20 AM   #15
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I’ll post up what my final numbers are and all the modifications for the California peeps that are interested. I’m going for what radz has going since his car from what I believe is a monster. The CARB tune as you may already know leaves a lot to be desired in the 2650, it’s still an unbelievable upgrade with the CARB tune, but I feel like I’m missing “something” by not having a tune that utilizes all of the horsepower that may be available. After i get it dynoed and tuned, I’m going to learn how to drive it again, and than go with a bigger snout and throttle body, and than learn how to drive it……again…..haha
I am planning on just running the carb tune until I get a good feel for it also, and go from there. I know i will want to eventually get all the support mods i can get that will allow me to go back to carb legal. i dont mind spending some hours swapping rotofab, tb, tune, flex sensor, etc. for smog to get more power. i am mostly concerned with too much/unusable power at the track, driveability issues, overheating, etc.

I am also concerned about when they will finally issue the carb eo for the kit! I reached out to Magnuson last year and they said they expect it in q1 of 2022.....

about 3 years ago, i was deciding between a gt350 whipple build... whipple kept saying they would release the carb eo kit for the gt350 very soon! they still do not have a carb eo kit for the gt350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
The frustrating part is not knowing how the carb tune will be acceptable when the state of CA has an inane new smog statue that ANY tune will be an auto fail.

I've still got to speak to my smog guy on this. But then again we have years to go to worry about it.
if the tune is carb approved, you dont have anything to worry about. it will pass. or i should say, it wont fail at least because of the tune

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...or-tuned-cars/
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:33 AM   #16
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
I am planning on just running the carb tune until I get a good feel for it also, and go from there. I know i will want to eventually get all the support mods i can get that will allow me to go back to carb legal. i dont mind spending some hours swapping rotofab, tb, tune, flex sensor, etc. for smog to get more power. i am mostly concerned with too much/unusable power at the track, driveability issues, overheating, etc.

I am also concerned about when they will finally issue the carb eo for the kit! I reached out to Magnuson last year and they said they expect it in q1 of 2022.....

about 3 years ago, i was deciding between a gt350 whipple build... whipple kept saying they would release the carb eo kit for the gt350 very soon! they still do not have a carb eo kit for the gt350.

if the tune is carb approved, you dont have anything to worry about. it will pass. or i should say, it wont fail at least because of the tune

Thanks. This does give me more insight vs another article I had read and posted here.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:21 AM   #17
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:

Just FWIW, I’ve been communicating regularly with Magnuson since 2019 about their carb tune and they’ve been saying “next year” since my initial email with them. With the current EPA crack down on all things automobile and petroleum, I don’t think this certification will ever happen. Just my 2 cents
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 10:02 AM   #18
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

I was also concerned with this^^ and I must say my worries quickly faded away on my first canyon run.....the car is so planted and stable it's mind blowing the way this alpha platform can put the power to the ground....can you roast the tires out of a corner?.....sure......but if you roll into the throttle like you're on a track and on your right line, than the power keeps coming.........and coming..........and coming........ it's amazing the force you feel in the higher rpms with this Magnuson
Old 04-12-2022, 02:24 PM   #19
serper3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Just FWIW, I’ve been communicating regularly with Magnuson since 2019 about their carb tune and they’ve been saying “next year” since my initial email with them. With the current EPA crack down on all things automobile and petroleum, I don’t think this certification will ever happen. Just my 2 cents
I am afraid of that, for sure. thats why i would not buy the kit with the hope they eventually get certification. in a year when by powertrain warranty is up, if the certification is not done, i will really have to decide do i just go the oem blower route, or keep waiting. I am not trying to make insane power (i think 700whp would be good), so i think i might be a good candidate for keeping the stock blower, especially if it wasnt for going back to stock for tune. It just seemed to be less hassle smog wise to go with the 2650r kit, and have the potential to make way more power down the road if I wanted, and not have to deal with overheating/heat soak as much.

keeping the stock blower, i think for going back to stock for passing smog, not being able to do LT, cam, pulleys probably also, would really limit the amount of power i would be able to make. ~e50, rotofab, ported blower, TB, plus whatever else fuel stuff so i can run e40-e50.. with that setup i would probably be around 650whp? maybe a tad more, i am guessing. not horrible, but i think i would want more.

Quote:
I was also concerned with this^^ and I must say my worries quickly faded away on my first canyon run.....the car is so planted and stable it's mind blowing the way this alpha platform can put the power to the ground....can you roast the tires out of a corner?.....sure......but if you roll into the throttle like you're on a track and on your right line, than the power keeps coming.........and coming..........and coming........ it's amazing the force you feel in the higher rpms with this Magnuson
thats awesome to hear. I have driven cars that had crappy partial throttle tuning that made it 10x worse too so hopefully with the tuning sorted it will be confidence inspiring.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:43 PM   #20
clg82

Quote:
I am afraid of that, for sure. thats why i would not buy the kit with the hope they eventually get certification. in a year when by powertrain warranty is up, if the certification is not done, i will really have to decide do i just go the oem blower route, or keep waiting. I am not trying to make insane power (i think 700whp would be good), so i think i might be a good candidate for keeping the stock blower, especially if it wasnt for going back to stock for tune. It just seemed to be less hassle smog wise to go with the 2650r kit, and have the potential to make way more power down the road if I wanted, and not have to deal with overheating/heat soak as much.

keeping the stock blower, i think for going back to stock for passing smog, not being able to do LT, cam, pulleys probably also, would really limit the amount of power i would be able to make. ~e50, rotofab, ported blower, TB, plus whatever else fuel stuff so i can run e40-e50.. with that setup i would probably be around 650whp? maybe a tad more, i am guessing. not horrible, but i think i would want more.

thats awesome to hear. I have driven cars that had crappy partial throttle tuning that made it 10x worse too so hopefully with the tuning sorted it will be confidence inspiring.
Which would require a tune and a smog fail if you don't flash back to the stock....just a reminder
Old 04-12-2022, 03:49 PM   #21
Mac7504

Quote:
Which would require a tune and a smog fail if you don't flash back to the stock....just a reminder
That's the unknown. Even if the stock tune is flashed back into the car, the cal I.D. and cvn have to match and since hptunes or whatever software would be used is not a carb compliant, might have changed those numbers.

I hate carb with a passion.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:48 PM   #22
serper3

Quote:

No, i understand. I would basically have to go back to stock.

Quote:
That's the unknown. Even if the stock tune is flashed back into the car, the cal I.D. and cvn have to match and since hptunes or whatever software would be used is not a carb compliant, might have changed those numbers.

I hate carb with a passion.
It is known. plenty people have already been smogged going back to the stock tune. just need to drive the car so all the monitors are ready.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #23
Mac7504

Quote:

It is known. plenty people have already been smogged going back to the stock tune. just need to drive the car so all the monitors are ready.
I'll have to take your word on that as I do not know of any personally and this law was just passed last year wasn't it?
Old 04-12-2022, 04:58 PM   #24
clg82

Quote:

Quote:
I'll have to take your word on that as I do not know of any personally and this law was just passed last year wasn't it?
LoL that's the weird part of all of this, some people have said they flashed back to the stock tune and passed smog and some have said they don't know anyone that has smogged since the new law came into affect and how the "count" affected it.