Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-03-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Exhaust Questions

I am sure this has been discussed at length, but I can't really find much on these specific questions when searching.

I am looking to get more sound out of my stock zle. I am in CA so unfortunately, it is very unlikely the car will ever see LTs.

I need to keep the NPP functionality as i often take the car out early, and otherwise will wake up my young kids..

my questions:

1. It seems like the Borla atak or s type are the most popular options for retaining npp as far as sound and quality. is that correct, or anything else that would rival these? I know AWE is popular, but I cant lose NPP.

2. Is there a difference in sound if doing the catback vs the axle back? I know and have seen power wise there are no real gains getting the cat back, and i will be limited with my stock exhaust manifolds anyway. so the only reason for me to go cat back is sound it seems like.

3. I have watched a lot of videos of the s type and atak. really hard for me to see the difference between these on the sound in videos. I know obviously the atak is louder, but is it the same sound, just louder? is there consensus on if the atak or s type sounds better than the other? I know people recommend the s type for LT cars.. I am just wondering if since I will not do LTs, if I should get the atak? I am good with more volume as the car is just a toy for me, but I want the car to sound good. I also dont want the car to be too quiet. I feel like if the car is too loud, I can close the valves. If it is too quiet, i would need a new exhaust.

Thank you all!
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
I am sure this has been discussed at length, but I can't really find much on these specific questions when searching.

I am looking to get more sound out of my stock zle. I am in CA so unfortunately, it is very unlikely the car will ever see LTs.

I need to keep the NPP functionality as i often take the car out early, and otherwise will wake up my young kids..

my questions:

1. It seems like the Borla atak or s type are the most popular options for retaining npp as far as sound and quality. is that correct, or anything else that would rival these? I know AWE is popular, but I cant lose NPP.

2. Is there a difference in sound if doing the catback vs the axle back? I know and have seen power wise there are no real gains getting the cat back, and i will be limited with my stock exhaust manifolds anyway. so the only reason for me to go cat back is sound it seems like.

3. I have watched a lot of videos of the s type and atak. really hard for me to see the difference between these on the sound in videos. I know obviously the atak is louder, but is it the same sound, just louder? is there consensus on if the atak or s type sounds better than the other? I know people recommend the s type for LT cars.. I am just wondering if since I will not do LTs, if I should get the atak? I am good with more volume as the car is just a toy for me, but I want the car to sound good. I also dont want the car to be too quiet. I feel like if the car is too loud, I can close the valves. If it is too quiet, i would need a new exhaust.

Thank you all!
If you don’t have LT’s and retain the cats the ATAK is a good pick. With long tubes/ no cats or aftermarket it’s going to be very loud. The ATAK has a bit of rasp to it, s-type is a fair bit deeper tone.

You won’t really see much difference if any at all if you do a full cat back.

IMO the S-Type will give you a good louder/deeper tone then what you have now.
If you want louder go with the ATAK.

Listen to Borlas exhaust video.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have the afe power exhaust on my car and long tubes but even with stock headers and exhaust it sounded awesome and the npp still works!
Old 12-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #4
Fifty_Tampa2
ZT Zoomin

Drives: A Slow ZL1
Corsa retains the npp

2017 "FIFTY" 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
ProCharger, Stage II Intercooler, LT2 Intake, Ported TB, Corsa NPP & Double X-Pipe, MRR FS06 20x10/11, Eibach Lowering Springs, MRC, GM Dark Tail Lights & More..RIP

https://www.youtube.com/c/ZTZoomin
Fifty_Tampa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
I have the Stainless Works Classic Axle Back and it sounds great! Love it! Louder than stock, retains the NPP and has a much deeper sound.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Corsa NPP has the biggest difference in SPL going from closed to open. It's a night and day difference...you won't see as many reviews on it because Corsa was late to the game releasing it. Also it takes 3-4 months to get one but they are really fast and responsive on warranty claim. I had a valve issue on one muffler shortly after installing. Filed and submitted a claim and they sent out a new muffler within 2 weeks. My second pick would be Borla Sport with some custom tips. Never cared for the tips on Borla stuff. Flowmaster NPP is decent for the price but it is heavy and you do get some drone with valves open in the cruising rpm range. No experience with Stainless works but they seem to have good reviews. I think they offer a couple different options now.

Either way you go if you plan on going catless headers look for the quietest exhaust options out there. These cars get really loud with no cats.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #7
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
If you don’t have LT’s and retain the cats the ATAK is a good pick. With long tubes/ no cats or aftermarket it’s going to be very loud. The ATAK has a bit of rasp to it, s-type is a fair bit deeper tone.

You won’t really see much difference if any at all if you do a full cat back.

IMO the S-Type will give you a good louder/deeper tone then what you have now.
If you want louder go with the ATAK.

Listen to Borlas exhaust video.
Thank you. This is helpful. Sounds like the ATAK is probably what i am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
I have the Stainless Works Classic Axle Back and it sounds great! Love it! Louder than stock, retains the NPP and has a much deeper sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Corsa NPP has the biggest difference in SPL going from closed to open. It's a night and day difference...you won't see as many reviews on it because Corsa was late to the game releasing it. Also it takes 3-4 months to get one but they are really fast and responsive on warranty claim. I had a valve issue on one muffler shortly after installing. Filed and submitted a claim and they sent out a new muffler within 2 weeks. My second pick would be Borla Sport with some custom tips. Never cared for the tips on Borla stuff. Flowmaster NPP is decent for the price but it is heavy and you do get some drone with valves open in the cruising rpm range. No experience with Stainless works but they seem to have good reviews. I think they offer a couple different options now.

Either way you go if you plan on going catless headers look for the quietest exhaust options out there. These cars get really loud with no cats.
it is really hard for me to decide because I havent heard them in person, and I feel like they all sound pretty much the same to me in videos. I have watched pretty much all of them. I am also super indecisive. Would be so much easier if I could hear them in person.

I am thinking maybe I will just try to find a used ATAK and that way if I do not like it, I can sell it for roughly what I paid for it, and try something else. Since i wont get LTs, I am more worried about it being too quiet or not sounding good.

if anyone got an atak and is looking for swapping it out to something quieter due to getting LTs or whatever let me know!
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote