Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #1
Bubbafire88

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss A6 "Chief"
Stripe removal

Hello, I recently bought a 2010 camaro 1SS A6 in white with orange rally stripes, I’m not a fan of the orange stripes and was wondering if and how I could take them off, as well as if I take them off with there be a “new” white stripe that’s been covered by the stripes to the white paint that has been exposed to the sun and elements for years? Will it show?
Bubbafire88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
Thunderstick

Drives: 14 Camaro LS
You can get them off with a heat gun or hair dryer.( Be careful with a heat gun or you'll cook the paint) and a 3M or similar vinyl remover wheel. I know when I took them off of my Red Hot color hood I could definitely see where they were in certain light. I think people have had luck with paint correction but each case will be different depending on where you live and what kind of love was given to the car. Maybe with your car being white it might not be that bad of a color fade?.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thunderstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:29 AM   #3
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
I removed mine with heat and patience. You can still see a hint of them even after a deep paint correction. Luckily I no longer have the factory hood and it’s very difficult to see on the trunk.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
When I took them off of my silver mustang I had them on for quite a while, I used a heat gun set on a lower setting and plenty of patience, it will take some time as they probably have been on there for some time, and maybe not, just take your time, took me 2 days to get everything off. After getting the stripes off you can use the adhesive eraser wheel mentioned but I didn't have that at the time. I used a whole bottle of Goo Gone and lots of isopropal alcohol to remove all the adhesive, but got it all off, just took some time and rubbing, and I did it in the sun to keep it warm. You might get lucky with the car being white and not see any "ghost" stripes, but I didn't with the silver. You could see them, but you had to really look to find them. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
BLU DUCE AKA=Spike III Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
When I took them off of my silver mustang I had them on for quite a while, I used a heat gun set on a lower setting and plenty of patience, it will take some time as they probably have been on there for some time, and maybe not, just take your time, took me 2 days to get everything off. After getting the stripes off you can use the adhesive eraser wheel mentioned but I didn't have that at the time. I used a whole bottle of Goo Gone and lots of isopropal alcohol to remove all the adhesive, but got it all off, just took some time and rubbing, and I did it in the sun to keep it warm. You might get lucky with the car being white and not see any "ghost" stripes, but I didn't with the silver. You could see them, but you had to really look to find them. Good luck.
I did all the same thing, but used a hair dryer-not as hot as a heat gun. My last to steps were. I clay barded it,washed it, then buffed it out. I have the Imperial Blue Metallic and the lines showed up but not to bad. But when all done a lot of elbow grease. But no lines or shadow left.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
I did all the same thing, but used a hair dryer-not as hot as a heat gun. My last to steps were. I clay barded it,washed it, then buffed it out. I have the Imperial Blue Metallic and the lines showed up but not to bad. But when all done a lot of elbow grease. But no lines or shadow left.
Very cool sir, that's awesome!! Nice and clean. I never did get around to buffing my hood out with compound, or I might have gotten rid of the "ghost" stripes. But I changed out the hood for a cowl hood.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Very cool sir, that's awesome!! Nice and clean. I never did get around to buffing my hood out with compound, or I might have gotten rid of the "ghost" stripes. But I changed out the hood for a cowl hood.
I can understand your situation. You were to busy on the computer ordering some more new mods.:noidea
Old 02-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
I can understand your situation. You were to busy on the computer ordering some more new mods.:noidea
lol, you know it!!! Nah, that Mustang never got modded like my Camaro. It wasn't worth it cause it was so cheaply made and I had it for about 6 years and it was slowly falling apart it was so cheaply built. But it was a fun car! Was a 2004 V6 coupe lowered 2.5 inches, Steeda street wing, 5 inch cowl hood and made to look like a Cobra even had the Eaton M112 supercharger on it with all the intake parts from the Cobra top end, was putting 332rwhp with 10.5lbs of boost, and a 4.10 rear gear. Got rid of it to buy my Camaro.. Best move I even made, car wise.. lol
Old 02-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #9
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Good info in here I have a imperial blue metallic one too with the frost white stripes. Looking to replace them soon since some parts are peeling but gonna put new stripes on. I love the look of it with the stripes but also like a 3” cowl hood. I really need like 3 camaros to mod all 3 differently lol.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Good info in here I have a imperial blue metallic one too with the frost white stripes. Looking to replace them soon since some parts are peeling but gonna put new stripes on. I love the look of it with the stripes but also like a 3” cowl hood. I really need like 3 camaros to mod all 3 differently lol.
Just a note, if you do go with a 3 inch cowl hood the normal Camaro hood stripe kits probably won't fit correctly, mine didn't. I have a 4 inch COPO hood and when we installed the gradient flame stripes from ACC we had to do some custom trimming to get them to lay correctly on the hood as they would not contour to the higher lines of the hood.

Name:  ruby 3.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  481.8 KB

Name:  dunkin 4.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  72.3 KB