Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-01-2018, 05:33 AM   #1
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Chin experience?

Looking for comparison between PDG and Chin. Have driven at Sebring and Daytona with PDG and had a fantastic time at both events, but they tend to run more at Homestead (I really like Sebring and it's much closer to home).

I hear Chin is more formal?

Intermediate level and this is simply a hobby to improve my skills and have some fun.

I'm sure both are great, just looking for insight from someone who has attended both.

Thanks

Tim
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Gatorac
Chin Event Manager

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Hi Tim

I am a Chef Instructor and Event Manager for Chin Track Days. Here are a few details about how we handle all of our events.

3 run group format. Green, Blue, Red.
Green group is novice with instructor, experienced drivers new to this particular track and recently solo'd drivers. Passing allowed on straights only with a point by.
Blue is intermediate drivers who have experience at this particular track. Passing allowed anywhere on track is allowed with a point by only.
Red is advance group. Pro teams (IMSA, MX5 Cup, PWC), instructors and drivers with 1000's of laps and lot's of experience at this particular track. Passing anywhere is required. A point by is also required.

All new drivers get an instructor. 1 instructor per car. Pairings are all handled days before the event. Novices can rest assured that when they get to the track, they will have an instructor. Classroom sessions are also provided. The novice works with an instructor until both the driver and instructor are ready for them to be solo. A check ride by a senior instructor confirms they are ready. Our instructors go through a vetting process as well. We don't just take an experienced driver and say, "you're an instructor now". Training is intense and we are the first group to have our instructor training program certified by the Motorsports Safety Foundation. I am in charge of our training program.

Drivers new to Chin are typically given a check out ride by a senior instructor to verify experience, assist with the line at a new track and make sure they are in the appropriate run group. Drivers that would not get a checkride have had their experience verified by other means.

Moving up from one group to the next requires a check ride by a senior instructor. This vetting process gives you the confidence that the drivers you are on track with have the skills to run in that particular run group. We want drivers to qualify for higher run groups when they are ready. We offer advanced coaching sessions and even have a pro driver at many events to offer advanced coaching. Our run groups are typically pretty darn fast. Especially in the Southeast where we have been doing events for over 15 years.

The weeks before an event each event manager spends countless hours on classifying drivers. Some are easy as we know the driver or they have had lots of history with Chin. Others are more of a challenge and we set them up with a check ride to verify. There are some drivers that are resistant to having their experience verified. While I can understand that to a degree, the safety and the enjoyment of every other driver at the event requires us to adhere to the process. Equal time is spent before the event on the pairing of novices to instructors.

We stick to the schedule throughout the day. This is nice as you always know when your group is going to be going out on track. Expect 3.5 hours of available track time.

I imagine all that we do could be considered to be "more formal". I prefer to think of it as "more professional". While our hobby is cars and racetracks, running an event is not. It's a full time job for 6 people to put on all of the events we do. It's a pretty awesome job that we all love.

I hope to see you at the track soon.

PS. We'll be at Sebring next weekend. Feel free to stop by and check us out. Spectators and guests are always welcome. I'll be at or near the Chin trailer most of the day.
2015 Mustang GTPP
2011 Duramax
Access to several Chin track cars...

Last edited by Gatorac; 01-01-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Invited Time to stop by the track next weekend.
Gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
As a National PCA, NASA and Chin instructor who has driven and instructed with clubs from Southern California to New York, I believe Chin is the best run HPDE organization of them all. The verification of experience Jim describes is essential to ensuring participants have a great experience. In my view, the other national HPDE organizations could learn a lot from Chin on how to run well organized and safe events that leaves all participants feeling like they got a great experience and value from their $$. Oh, and Chins 3 run group format means you get a TON of track time.

I’m signed up for Barber with Chin next month, a great way to kick off the 2018 Track season!
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Thanks Jim for taking time on a Holiday to explain your format & structure. Not sure I can make next weekend, but will check travel schedule, regardless will connect.

Provoste, also appreciate the context. As a 55 year old guy who now has the kids out of the house, having funds to do this right, with a solid car & safety gear was important.

Tim
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
I did a Chin event at Road America the summer of 2016. Very well run event. As I recall it was an incident free day. It was my first Chin event and I did not have a "check out" ride with an instructor. Although I have run at and instructed at RA for he local PCA and BMW clubs many, many times. Perhaps Chin checks out new for them participants by other means as well?
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote