Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 06-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #29
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Alright, so here's the scoop:

Take this away - the team at GM is awesome, and it's so cool that they're releasing stuff like this. They really care about the car, autocrossers, and it's amazing that they're giving us these options. I was getting messages from three separate people at GM before I had taken my third run asking for feedback.

On Saturday, we were at Optima's DriveAutoX in Peru, Indiana. It was a great, fun, laid-back event with gorgeous cars and some really fast drivers. I'd recommend going if you can make it - they have an event coming up at Gateway in August and Mineral Wells in October. The event was so cool, Brian Mason let us run a little testing while we were there.

Driver: Brian Peters - 8x SCCA National Champion and 1SS 1LE owner

Cars:

bishir 1LE - 1SS 1LE with 19x10.5 and 19x11 wheels and 305 square RE71Rs
Chris V 1LE - 1SS 1LE with 19x11 and 19 x 11.5 wheels, 305 square RE71Rs, Whipple, camber plates, 300 lb front springs, 1000 lb rear springs, DSC

Control run - Peters in Bishir's car: 49.719. This was disappointing to everyone who had a modified car, as FTD was in the 49.3 range on Saturday. FTD for the overall event got down to 49.0. The stock 1LE is really good.

Next we put the new diff calibration into Bishir's car: 49.533. Brian's comments on the diff calibration are as follows:

We then added the DSC Sport box from my car to Bishir's car, Brian ran that. He ran a 49.6, but said he botched a turn and would have gone faster with another run. He didn't expect it to add compression to the front under braking and it messed up his first turn. Brian's thoughts on the topic:

In my car, he went 49.6 both with and without the new diff calibration, but we were chasing what seemed like a feedback loop on corner exit that kept us from putting power down initially. We're looking into that, but we have a few working theories:

1. User Error - I forgot to re-zero the shocks when I put the new springs on, and they're lower than stock.
2. The eLSD uses a torque value calculated off the MAF, and my car is supercharged. We're looking into the torque tables to see if that's causing it to be wonky.
3. The car may be too low in the rear, causing it to be on the bumpstops too much.

This is what happens when you develop a new car and there's no knowledge out there. Once the car is sorted, it's going to be a rocket. This is why we test

TLDR: The stock car is great, the diff tune is noticeable, but may not be faster for some drivers. It's a great option. It's easy to test if you have a buddy with one and swap the module over (anyone at an event with me is welcome to try mine). Modifications take testing. DSC allows you to fix some of the bad behaviors of the car, and go faster still.

A great CAMC car would be a 1LE on 305s with camber, DSC, and Diff Cal, in my opinion. Those will gain you a lot more control over the car, without having to go crazy validating things like a blower tune and springs/ride height. I'm a little broken so I'm going further.
Thanks for the input!
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #30
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Alright, so here's the scoop:

Take this away - the team at GM is awesome, and it's so cool that they're releasing stuff like this. They really care about the car, autocrossers, and it's amazing that they're giving us these options. I was getting messages from three separate people at GM before I had taken my third run asking for feedback.

On Saturday, we were at Optima's DriveAutoX in Peru, Indiana. It was a great, fun, laid-back event with gorgeous cars and some really fast drivers. I'd recommend going if you can make it - they have an event coming up at Gateway in August and Mineral Wells in October. The event was so cool, Brian Mason let us run a little testing while we were there.

Driver: Brian Peters - 8x SCCA National Champion and 1SS 1LE owner

Cars:

bishir 1LE - 1SS 1LE with 19x10.5 and 19x11 wheels and 305 square RE71Rs
Chris V 1LE - 1SS 1LE with 19x11 and 19 x 11.5 wheels, 305 square RE71Rs, Whipple, camber plates, 300 lb front springs, 1000 lb rear springs, DSC

Control run - Peters in Bishir's car: 49.719. This was disappointing to everyone who had a modified car, as FTD was in the 49.3 range on Saturday. FTD for the overall event got down to 49.0. The stock 1LE is really good.

Next we put the new diff calibration into Bishir's car: 49.533. Brian's comments on the diff calibration are as follows:

We then added the DSC Sport box from my car to Bishir's car, Brian ran that. He ran a 49.6, but said he botched a turn and would have gone faster with another run. He didn't expect it to add compression to the front under braking and it messed up his first turn. Brian's thoughts on the topic:

In my car, he went 49.6 both with and without the new diff calibration, but we were chasing what seemed like a feedback loop on corner exit that kept us from putting power down initially. We're looking into that, but we have a few working theories:

1. User Error - I forgot to re-zero the shocks when I put the new springs on, and they're lower than stock.
2. The eLSD uses a torque value calculated off the MAF, and my car is supercharged. We're looking into the torque tables to see if that's causing it to be wonky.
3. The car may be too low in the rear, causing it to be on the bumpstops too much.

This is what happens when you develop a new car and there's no knowledge out there. Once the car is sorted, it's going to be a rocket. This is why we test

TLDR: The stock car is great, the diff tune is noticeable, but may not be faster for some drivers. It's a great option. It's easy to test if you have a buddy with one and swap the module over (anyone at an event with me is welcome to try mine). Modifications take testing. DSC allows you to fix some of the bad behaviors of the car, and go faster still.

A great CAMC car would be a 1LE on 305s with camber, DSC, and Diff Cal, in my opinion. Those will gain you a lot more control over the car, without having to go crazy validating things like a blower tune and springs/ride height. I'm a little broken so I'm going further.
Good info, thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #31
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Quote:
It should make a difference if you’re running a stock car with stickier tires too.

I have modified suspension.

Unfortunately, no. Given that the ZL1 1LE already has a different calibration, it wouldn’t be an improvement. Your car comes on 100 tw tires and has the stiffer suspension already.
The answer is no but this is not why. The ZL1 1LE has a spool valve suspension. NONE of the suspension functions change anything in this car. It IS NOT controlled electronically. Tour mode in ZL1 1LE rides absolutely no different than track mode. The ONLY thing that is. Changeable is the steering weight.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #32
SaphfireSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Good info, thanks for taking the time to post.
I also changed my springs to BMR lowering springs. I felt the rear bouncing through high speed turns with bumps in them. Never felt that before the spring change. It's kinda weird. So you're saying that you have comparable proof that the DSC box makes the car faster on autox? Have you done any road track comparisons yet?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #33
SaphfireSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5senna5 View Post
It looks likes from the description that this is intended for Autocross where full disabling of all systems is done? The way I'm reading, it wont offer any calibration change to "Race" mode in "Track" PTM setting since all systems aren't fully disabled?
Correct. You have to turn everything off for it to change anything. Hold TC button down for 5 secs. In track or sport.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #34
SaphfireSS

A great CAMC car would be a 1LE on 305s with camber, DSC, and Diff Cal, in my opinion. Those will gain you a lot more control over the car, without having to go crazy validating things like a blower tune and springs/ride height. I'm a little broken so I'm going further.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this except a couple more additions.
#1 gotta have a tune and E85 at least.
#2 not 100% sold on the lowering springs. I think they might throw a little unbalance in the system.
#3 Adjustable rear sway bar. Don't think a front one is necessary.
Any other comments or opinions on this?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #35
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
I also changed my springs to BMR lowering springs. I felt the rear bouncing through high speed turns with bumps in them. Never felt that before the spring change. It's kinda weird. So you're saying that you have comparable proof that the DSC box makes the car faster on autox? Have you done any road track comparisons yet?
This is the reason I have decided to stay with the stock setup. TBH, the ride height and wheel gap isn't terrible in this car, I have seen worse on the Lamborghini Hurican.

I want better handling, not worse.

I do plan to put the ZL1 1LE solid cradle bushing kit on my SS 1LE very soon.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #36
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
The answer is no but this is not why. The ZL1 1LE has a spool valve suspension. NONE of the suspension functions change anything in this car. It IS NOT controlled electronically. Tour mode in ZL1 1LE rides absolutely no different than track mode. The ONLY thing that is. Changeable is the steering weight.
This is all regarding the diff calibration, not the suspension calibration. The diff controller doesn't control the suspension.

The ZL1 1LE comes on stiffer springs and stickier rubber than the SS 1LE. It also makes significantly more power. As a result, the differential needs to have different responses to inputs, as it will have a different impact on the tire surface. So the locking and unlocking (rate and pressure) are different on the ZL1 1LE than they are on the SS 1LE.

The new diff calibration locks and unlocks faster than stock, which is really helpful in autocross because it frees up the rear wheels when you lift off the accelerator, letting the car turn in easier. It also helps to put power down earlier when coming off the apex.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #37
nolimits

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
How much are you guys paying to get this update done?
Just came back from the dealer and they told me that I have to pay $280 for them to buy the software from GM and pay $145 for labor.
Grand total = $425
nolimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #38
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits View Post
How much are you guys paying to get this update done?
Just came back from the dealer and they told me that I have to pay $280 for them to buy the software from GM and pay $145 for labor.
Grand total = $425
Labor seems high - the cal instructions I saw saw 0.3 hours with cal $280.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #39
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I just tried to get this done at my dealer and they couldn't get it installed. They said it got to a point and kept giving an error message.

Anybody tried to get this done and their dealer couldn't get it installed?
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #40
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post
I just tried to get this done at my dealer and they couldn't get it installed. They said it got to a point and kept giving an error message.

Anybody tried to get this done and their dealer couldn't get it installed?
Did they call the tech line in the memo above?

Quote:
When reprogramming the Chassis Control Module, please call Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC)
at (1-800-828-6860). The TCSC will provide programming requirements and instructions.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #41
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
FYI There will be a cal like this for the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE, too.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #42
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Did they call the tech line in the memo above?

Yep. Had them on the phone. They are looking into it. But yea, I was surprised.
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote