Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Brake swap out for SS 1LE cars (lots of pics)

UPDATE: Photobucket wants to extort money from me, so I had to remove the pics and add them to the bottom of the post (sorry)...

Also, at the end of this post I pasted my 3 month review of the pads (very nice)...

Folks,

Like many, I LOVE my SS 1LE but HATE the amount of dust these pads produce. I'm not going to go into some long winded brake pad analysis, let's just say that the stock pads are good, but I will go ceramic for street and a proper race compound for track days. Tonight I decided that it was time to clean these filthy brakes and change them out to ceramics. Car has 700 miles on it and the rotors are filth defined!

For this car I went with PowerStop Z26 compound pads. The part numbers were Z26-1718 for the rears and Z26-1405 for the fronts (exact part numbers for a non carbon rotor C7 Z06). I like the Carbontech stuff (have used them before on the C7), but have had a lot of success with Z26 pads on other vettes and frankly $110 for the entire set hit me right when ordering.

This will follow with a review of the pads in a couple of weeks. If they suck I will say. I suspect they will not.

OK first things first let's get the car off the ground. I do one wheel at a time since it is easy. I use a jack (on the ZL1addon permanent pads), and a jack stand for backup. Loosen the nuts before you jack, and be aware they are TIGHT from the factory (they were also not consistent).

Car on Jack

Look at that filthy front CALIPER!

These pads are about as easy as they get to change out, Just take a punch and tap out the top pin. It does not take much there HE-MAN, just tap it out (tap tap tap-a-roo). You tap from the outside in. Once the top is out the retainer spring will pop out. Tap the lower pin out. Use a small punch and don't screw up your paint.

Edit: User glamcem and X25 (post 15) updated with a link to a $15 Brembo punch designed for these pins... NICE!

https://www.amazon.com/RacingBrake-B.../dp/B01M03PHOF

Now remove the bolt (front brakes only). It's a 13mm and has a little thread lock on it. Easy to get out.

Here is a pic of the pins, bolt, and spring.

You can see here that the pads will slide right out. If you are strong like bull (or 1/2 as strong as me), you can grab the pad and manually push the pistons in. If you are not, you can buy a brake spreader (and maybe a weight set too there, Francis). Once you have some wiggle room pull them out.

Here is the old pad next to the new. I put some brake pad lube on the spots that the pistons hit, and on the pad sides where they ride the caliper.

Slide the new pads in being CAREFUL to put the pad side towards the rotor (this should be obvious, but I am old enough to have seen people screw that one up along with their rotors!). Put the bolt in with a little blue locktite (NOT RED), and tighten it down (C7 Z06 is 22ft-lbs, so I did that). Put the lower pin in through the holes, then the upper while pushing in on the retainer spring. Once done tap the pins in fully from the back. If you did it right it will look like this.

Take the time to clean your calipers. They are nasty.

Mount the wheel up and move on! I do a first pass of 100ft-lbs on the wheel lugs until all 4 brakes are done, then do a final pass of 140 ft-lbs. Yes, ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY foot lbs! wow.

The rear is very similar to the front, but there are only 2 pins and no bolt. Same same, other than that, see pics below (I am too lazy to type out the same thing twice).

HOPE THAT HELPS anyone who has not done this or was wondering!

Specs stolen from the corvette forum... If they are right, you are welcome. If they are not it's all on you...

Fastener Tightening Specifications

Brake Caliper Bleeder - J56 Front
13-15 lb ft

Brake Caliper Bleeder - J56 Rear
106 lb in-12 lb ft

Brake Caliper Bleeder - J57 Front and Rear
13-15 lb ft

Brake Caliper Bolt - Front
162 lb ft

Brake Caliper Bolt - Rear
89 lb ft

Brake Caliper Bridge Pin Bolt
22 lb ft

Brake Hose Fitting Bolt
30 lb ft

Brake Rotor Bolt
106 lb in

Front Brake Shield Bolt
89 lb in

REVIEW

STREET Performance (Grade B+): First off how do they perform? From a street use perspective they are great. They have a little less bite than the brembo pads, but certainly not an issue at all for street use. These pads will stop the car in a hurry, and will continue to no matter how hard you use them in any reasonable street setting. Compared to ceramics I have used on the C7, C6, C5 (yes, I have issues with cars that start with a "C") they work excellent. I've spent WAAAAAY more money on pads that don't feel any better than these do. They bed well, and the bedding lasts long. I recommend them for the street. I heated them up as much as any reasonable street drive would be able to, and there was no issue at all. These are in no way track pads, but they worked great.

DUST PERFORMANCE (Grade A++): This is where these pads really shine. They literally never dusted, even from break in. I go an incredibly long time between wheel cleanings with these pads. AMAZING performance there. There are no pads that dust less than these that I have ever used. Perfect. Even 1521's didn't dust less.

TRACK PERFORMANCE (GRADE N/A): I did not and do not intend to use these on a track. There are certainly better pads for them, even from Powerstop that are compatible with these. Since they are so easy to swap I will just swap them back and forth like I used to do with the C5Z.

Overall I'd absolutely buy these again. For the money it is shocking how little they dust. Love them.
Attached Images

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

Last edited by devnull; 11-29-2017 at 07:19 PM.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
V1LE8R

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Could you run into issues with proper bedding when it comes to switching back and forth between street pads with more aggressive racing pads?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1LE8R View Post
Could you run into issues with proper bedding when it comes to switching back and forth between street pads with more aggressive racing pads?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
If you're going to do it often I'd buy a a second set of rotors too (I used to do that in the C5Z06 days), but I'm not that serious and will keep the compounds in the same family.

Never had an issue with that.

Side note: check this out --> http://www.powerstop.com/product/pow...us-brake-kits/

These are the pads I'll try on the track and will allow for the swap back and forth (same family). Ultra hardcore? No, but pretty darn good!

Review of the race pads once I actually get miles on this car lol

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

Last edited by devnull; 04-09-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:13 PM   #4
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Forgot to add this critical picture...
Attached Images

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

Last edited by devnull; 06-01-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
Gilley

Drives: 16 Red Hot 2SS
Are the 1LE 6 piston calipers the same as on the C7 Z06 and GS vette? I have a friend looking for pads for his GS.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
devnull
Scientific negotiator

They are the same pad numbers between the 1LE and C7 Z06 (non Z07) brakes yes.

1718 and 1405 for powerstop.

http://www.powerstop.com/product/pow...Brake%20Rotors

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 04-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
FoCoCamaro

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE (Krypton Green)
Nice write up. I have a set of them awaiting install once my car arrives. After all the reports of how bad the stock pads dust I just went ahead and took a leap of faith that the Z26's will yield a reduction while still giving good bite and low noise for street driving.

I'd definitely love to hear your feedback over the next couple weeks. If they are less than stellar I my just return theses and go with Carbotechs.
FoCoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCoCamaro View Post
Nice write up. I have a set of them awaiting install once my car arrives. After all the reports of how bad the stock pads dust I just went ahead and took a leap of faith that the Z26's will yield a reduction while still giving good bite and low noise for street driving.

I'd definitely love to hear your feedback over the next couple weeks. If they are less than stellar I my just return theses and go with Carbotechs.
THANK YOU, and will do asap bud. Took the drive in this morning and did the requisite "look like a crazy person" bedding them in. Wound up being perfect as I got them really hot and was able to drive the 20 minutes in after that uninterrupted (that is rare)!

So it's on the thread, here is the bedding procedure --> http://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
Great write up! Thanks for sharing.
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #10
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
+1, excellent job!
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
+1, excellent job!
Appreciated fellas... THANKS

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #12
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Thank You for your time posting this!

Has anybody done low dust pads on the new ZL1. The dust is killing me!
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #13
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie Affair View Post
Thank You for your time posting this!

Has anybody done low dust pads on the new ZL1. The dust is killing me!
Those rotors are bigger. I bet Adam over at Amp'dAutosports would have the lead on Carbontech 1521's for the ZL1 (or call Powerstop directly if you want the Z26 stuff)

Adam --> https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ll-review.html

Adam Adelstein
Amp’D Autosport.com
Internet's largest retailer of Carbotech Performance Brake Pads.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

Last edited by devnull; 04-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #14
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
very nice!

thank you!
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote