#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 09-15-2016, 05:18 AM   #1
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Autocross Alignment Help

I know there are a couple threads on this already, but I am getting an alignment on Friday and was hoping for some guidance. I am new to this autocross thing (6 autocross days under my belt), but am having a blast and plan on continuing to do it next year as well. I've still got a few events left for the year, so I'm not too worried about getting it done this time of year. I finally found a shop in my area that charges a reasonable amount for a race alignment ($96) and also has reasonable hourly fees ($65), so they will install my Stranoparts front sway bar while they are at it (unless you can convince me that I can do it myself).

The car is my daily driver, but I don't care too much about street tire wear. I drive about 10-12k miles/year, but several pairs of tires per year is well within the budget. I am more concerned with having good results at autocross. I might also do 1-2 track days next year. Currently with stock alignment, I've got quite a bit of wear on the outsides of the front tires compared with the insides. I have 50+ runs on the stock tires. My plan is to get RE-71Rs mounted on 19" forged wheels in the spring.

That said, my question is: what alignment specs would you request? Here is what I am currently going to request:

Front:
Caster: 7.4
Camber: -2.0 desired with stock bolts
Toe: 0.1

Rear:
Camber -1.25
Toe: 0.1

Any thoughts on what you would request differently? I've been trying to read up as much as I can regarding setup. My goals are quick turn in, less understeer, and higher cornering Gs (275 width RE-71Rs will help a lot I think). I am currently pretty happy with turn in, but understeer and grip seem suboptimal. Most of that is my driving, but I have been working a lot on not overdriving into corners. I just want the car to be optimized for FS class in autocross.

Thanks for any help!
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

So I was able to only get -1.7 camber in the fronts, rear was -1.5 could have easily been more. Toe was 0.05 each side. The driver's side front could have been a little over -2 camber, but the passenger side max was -1.7. Stranoparts front sway bar was also installed on the softest setting.

More importantly, I'm glad I finally found a shop I can trust. The mechanic was a good guy, knew his stuff, was darn quick. Let me help him with the alignment too. Total price for installation of the sway bar and alignment: $164 + tax. I'd say that is pretty fair. Can't wait to try it out next weekend!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Good price and good to have a mechanic you can trust. Let us know how the car performs with the new set up.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:21 AM   #4
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I'm only at -1.3 degress of camber and it changed the grip of the front of the car considerable from where it was stock (roughly 0-degrees).

I've done one autocross with the car 100% stock. Definately a lack of front grip. I then did one track day with the cambered front alignment. The front grip was very good. A tad more, around -1.6, would be really nice. I'm doing an autocross this weekend, so im looking forward to finding out how well the car responds in autocross now.

The factory suspension on this car is very capable...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

So I'll try and give a review now that I've got 6 autocross runs in on the Stranoparts sway bar installed and race alignment. This is my first year with autocross, so take everything with a grain of salt.

First, some good hard data to support my subjective observations. I started autocrossing at the beginning of the year. Here are the dates of the events and my overall PAX position:
5/22/16= 21/64
6/26/16= 33/55
7/24/16= 22/60
8/21/16= 21/57
9/17/16= Alignment and sway bar installed
9/25/16=14/60

So as you can see, I had been consistently around 21st out of 60. With two inexpensive changes, I was able to move up quite a few spots.

Now, onto video data. Yes, our course is very small. Unfortunately, our region has lost a few locations to hold autocross, and the current one does no favors to the Camaro. Small, tight, and low speed. In comparing data on the Track Addict app, I don't really see too much of a difference in cornering Gs.

July 2016 pre sway bar and alignment
https://youtu.be/sAArViWamJE

September 2016 Post sway bar and alignment
https://youtu.be/vrq5rB5GV0w

Overall, I'm still not backsiding the cones as much as I would like. I also took a few lines that weren't the fastest. I think going to Evo school next year should help with that, and I do feel as though I have improved significantly since when I started. I got a little sideways at the end of my fastest run today... that was a bit fun!

Subjective Data:
On the softest setting, the Stranoparts bar feels less stiff than the stock bar. However, the car behaves in a slightly more predictable manner. It felt a bit more neutral at the limit, with understeer occuring if I entered a corner much too hot, and oversteer happening in a very predictable manner with throttle input. I had the car figured out by my 3rd run of the day. It felt more balanced than before, and less prone to understeer.

Overall, once I get tires and wheels, I think the benefits will really show up. I'm open to suggestions and comments, so thanks for watching/reading! My goal is to encourage some discussion of modifications, driving habits of the Camaro, and techniques I can work on. I am working on getting a gopro for wide angle views.

Last edited by fighting irish; 09-25-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Updated video link
Old 10-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
just got my car back today.

I got much more camber than you - but I also lowered it an inch. I think lowering it gives you more capability from a camber perspective.

2.5 front, 1.4 rear camber. 1/16th out front. 1/16th in rear - tow
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote