Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Magnetic shocks - How good are they??

What I mean by this is in terms of rear-end chassis control.

Or I guess put another way is rebound control. Say you are in a high speed sweeper at 110MPH with the suspension loaded up and there is a dip in the middle of the turn. Is the initial rebound from that dip neutralized immediately?

I had magnetic dampers on my old Audi TTRS a few years back and they were amazing on that car when driven in anger, you could not upset that chassis no matter what you did. It was truly as good as a coil-over suspension in that regard. However that car was a lot lighter than the SS 1LE.

Is the SS 1LE that solid when driven hard, do the magnetic dampers do that great of a job with body/chassis composure? As good as a coil-over would.

Again, I am just talking about composure here, obviously having a coil-over has other advantages.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Chassis stability does not just come from increasing low-speed rebound damping (shaft speed, not car's speed), it also comes from increasing low-speed compression, so I'd want the accelerometers to register that the car was in a g-out situation and instantly increase the compression damping. This would likely have the biggest effect actually at resisting that kind of movement.

As far as these dampers, well, GM has been a pioneer here and the chassis is very hard to upset at speed. I wouldn't say the feel is the same as coil-overs, but the different settings are dramatically different. I rarely, if ever, go to the "tour" setting, just because I feel there isn't enough damping to control the chassis movement. It makes it softer, but with the car bobbing and dipping more it kind of negates the setting IMO. I think it increases the chances of bottom-out too. So I'm mostly sport and that's nice and firm, but not too firm except for rare occasions.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Chassis stability does not just come from increasing low-speed rebound damping (shaft speed, not car's speed), it also comes from increasing low-speed compression, so I'd want the accelerometers to register that the car was in a g-out situation and instantly increase the compression damping. This would likely have the biggest effect actually at resisting that kind of movement.

As far as these dampers, well, GM has been a pioneer here and the chassis is very hard to upset at speed. I wouldn't say the feel is the same as coil-overs, but the different settings are dramatically different. I rarely, if ever, go to the "tour" setting, just because I feel there isn't enough damping to control the chassis movement. It makes it softer, but with the car bobbing and dipping more it kind of negates the setting IMO. I think it increases the chances of bottom-out too. So I'm mostly sport and that's nice and firm, but not too firm except for rare occasions.
Makes sense.

I'm just curious, as you know if you have read my other threads here or on Bimmerpost, I moved to Ohlin R/T coil-overs on the M3 because the stock damping was horrible.

The Ohlins are both good and bad. The are a little harsh over big bumps and will actually cause the traction control to activate on some big bumps and it will lift you out of your seat, however the faster you go, the better they get. 110-120ish feels SOOOOO stable and composed.

Was just wondering if the Magnetic dampers are that good at the high speed stuff, but without the harshness of a coilover. In the case of the Magnetic dampers I had in the Audi TTRS , the answer was a solid YES. Hoping the same is the case for them on the 1LE.

BTW, I should be flying down to the LA area next weekend and driving back home in my new 1LE.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Makes sense.

I'm just curious, as you know if you have read my other threads here or on Bimmerpost, I moved to Ohlin R/T coil-overs on the M3 because the stock damping was horrible.

The Ohlins are both good and bad. The are a little harsh over big bumps and will actually cause the traction control to activate on some big bumps and it will lift you out of your seat, however the faster you go, the better they get. 110-120ish feels SOOOOO stable and composed.

Was just wondering if the Magnetic dampers are that good at the high speed stuff, but without the harshness of a coilover. In the case of the Magnetic dampers I had in the Audi TTRS , the answer was a solid YES. Hoping the same is the case for them on the 1LE.

BTW, I should be flying down to the LA area next weekend and driving back home in my new 1LE.
First of all congrats on your new purchase. Enjoy and drive her safe.

I used to own an Audi TT (Gen.1 / 8N) and had a Koni FSD -Eibach springs setup which I liked a lot. Perfect (to me) for both DD Street and Autocross.
Had the TT in my possession for almost 15 years so it means something she also had about the same WHP as my 1LE today and was indeed by at least 1100 Lbs lighter - so you can probably imagine the far better Power/Weight.
However, in terms of handling, steering response and feeling "planted", the 1LE is by far superior (despite the TT was on sticky Toyo 888Rs). The 1LE feels larger (but not that much... surprisingly).
It would be interesting though, to see how the 1LE would handle on the same Power/Weight ratio as the TT.
This would mean upgrading to an FI motor in the range of 600 WHP and then comparing.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 AM   #5
Atlas24601

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Third generation magnetic shocks are as good as it gets for a dual use street/track car.

https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthori...echnology/amp/
Atlas24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
OP: congrats on the purchase!
I dont drive my 1le in anger, but i do track it, incl at Mosport, which is one of the fastest (if not the fastest still?) road circuits in NA. The venue has many fast sweepers with big elevation changes and compression zones including going from the fastest corner (T4) to the slowest (T5a) at about 120. Zero issues. No bottoming out ever. Excellent composure even going over a bump at the end of the back straight at 145. Another example would be the Glen, where my C5Z with LG race coilovers had a tendency to slightly step out in the esses...1LE however is superbly planted there.

Go to official track vids/photos thread and watch Provoste do a 2:10 at the Glen on street tires and then an absolutely ridiculous 2:04 on Pirelli scrubs. This is a stock car save for an alignment. Obviously Provoste knows how to wheel a car, but the recorded pace speaks volumes as to the stock suspension capabilities. Even with slicks on. Amen
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
TRZ06

UPDATE: I got my car on Saturday and have driven it 500 miles so far (including the 300 miles home from So. Cal, and my concerns are gone COMPLETELY gone.

F*ck, this car is solid and has super high limits. I was seeing 1.2G's on a few on/off ramps.

Now, my only issue (and this may be due to the new tires) , but I can feel a little flex in the rear. Now, my M3's rear-end was bolted directly to the subframe, and since this car has rear bushing, I am not sure if that is what I am feeling.

The rear takes just a split sec. to set, and then it is solid. I am already thinking about the BMR rear cradle lockout kit as well as their upper and lower control arms. I want to see if it is coming from the new tires though first before I do anything.

Also, Dry mode is perfect for learning the car.

I do wish the throttle was more direct. It has good tip in, but then there is a dead spot in the middle and then when you get deeper into it, it comes alive again.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #8
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Yeah. I rented a 1SS twice. Drove the twisties along pacific coast highway 1 PCH1. What a car! I got a 2SS specifically for the MRC. Its good, just dont expect a Lexus ride.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Makes sense.

It's a solid YES! That is the great part about MRC. They work at high and low speed unlike coilovers. Are they "as good as" coilovers at high speed. Not quite. Coilovers are still a little faster as they are designed to be. But that's what makes the 1LE an ultimate street/race car.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
SaphfireSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
OP: congrats on the purchase!
I dont drive my 1le in anger, but i do track it, incl at Mosport, which is one of the fastest (if not the fastest still?) road circuits in NA. The venue has many fast sweepers with big elevation changes and compression zones including going from the fastest corner (T4) to the slowest (T5a) at about 120. Zero issues. No bottoming out ever. Excellent composure even going over a bump at the end of the back straight at 145. Another example would be the Glen, where my C5Z with LG race coilovers had a tendency to slightly step out in the esses...1LE however is superbly planted there.

Go to official track vids/photos thread and watch Provoste do a 2:10 at the Glen on street tires and then an absolutely ridiculous 2:04 on Pirelli scrubs. This is a stock car save for an alignment. Obviously Provoste knows how to wheel a car, but the recorded pace speaks volumes as to the stock suspension capabilities. Even with slicks on. Amen
Provoste is an awesome driver. He was my instructor at Barber for a Chin event. Both of our cars where completely stock except he was using Hawk DTC-60 pads up front. He ran 4 secs faster than me after two days of driving there. Riding with him is definitely an experience I will never forget.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #11
SaphfireSS

Coilovers would definitely make the car faster around a track but you loose the streetability when you switch to them. DSC is about to come out with an MRC coilover kit and it's gonna be phenominal. Robert Weathers has been working the bugs out and it will soon be available from JDP Motorsports. The only thing is it won't be cheap. Lol
Old 07-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
Coilovers would definitely make the car faster around a track but you loose the streetability when you switch to them. DSC is about to come out with an MRC coilover kit and it's gonna be phenominal. Robert Weathers has been working the bugs out and it will soon be available from JDP Motorsports. The only thing is it won't be cheap. Lol
Before buying my Camaro with MRC, I was concerned about replacement costs, so I looked up the price of a new magnetic shock. Although I have now forgotten how much it was, I was happy about the price of an OEM replacement magnetic shock not being all that high.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #13
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Before buying my Camaro with MRC, I was concerned about replacement costs, so I looked up the price of a new magnetic shock. Although I have now forgotten how much it was, I was happy about the price of an OEM replacement magnetic shock not being all that high.
Do you remember at least the ballpark price of these shocks?
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Do you remember at least the ballpark price of these shocks?
Sorry, but I really can't.

Hang on. *goes and searches on google*

Here: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/auto-p...omponents-scat

A front magnetic damper is $367.25. Not exactly dirt cheap, but they do perform well.

By contrast a similar electronic shock for my BMW motorcycle is $1754.78.