Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #239
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab33 View Post
How many track days are people getting from the OEM front brake pads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
About 5 days here but i dont run at Laguna
After 5 days I have a backing plate's worth of pad material left on the front, I will retire them to street duty and put on a new set before my next event. I could run them longer but Id prefer to avoid changing brakes in the middle of a day.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #240
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I have 6 track days on the OEM pads, 3 at a big fast track and 3 at a smaller slower track and have about 6.6mm pad left on the fronts. New is about 9.8mm

Use the AcDelco number for the best price at Amazon, Wal-Mart, CarID, Rock Auto to name a few.
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #241
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab33 View Post
How many track days are people getting from the OEM front brake pads?
I was on the squealers for the front pads leaving the end of my most recent track day, which were used for 5 full days total (4 SCCA TNIA events and 3 full track days). Rears still have tons of life left. Picked up another set of fronts off of Amazon for ~$220 shipped with Prime.

I saw that the Raybestos pads seem to do pretty well with longevity, but what about other track pads you guys are using? A friend of mine has some Carbotech XP20s with a nearly identical caliper/rotor setup on his GTO and has run 10+ days on them, most of those days being driven in 2 different run groups, and still has over 50% of the pad material remaining. Wondering if it's cheaper to keep going through the OE pads at a faster rate but less cost, or spend a bit more for real track pads that last longer...
Old 07-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #242
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
20% off stock pads

Thought I would share.

tip: Make sure to place two separate orders for fronts and rears. If you purchase together, it will only take 20% off the cheapest item (20 bucks off the rear). If you purchase separately, it'll take $43 off the front's and $20 off the rears. Make sure to click the 20% box.

Fronts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rears:

Last edited by Move_Over; 07-09-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #243
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Thought I would share.

tip: Make sure to place two separate orders for fronts and rears. If you purchase together, it will only take 20% off the cheapest item (20 bucks off the rear). If you purchase separately, it'll take $43 off the front's and $20 off the rears. Make sure to click the 20% box.

Fronts:
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-171-1...words=171-1040

Rears:
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-171-1...words=171-1127

Links aren't working? For me anyway...
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #244
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Links aren't working? For me anyway...
Try them now that was weird...
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:54 AM   #245
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Try them now that was weird...
They're good now. Thanks!

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #246
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I used the PowerStop Track Day pads Friday at COTA for five 25 minutes sessions. Ambient temp was 96, a cooler day than what we had the week before.. I liked them once I got them hot and got used to them I could brake as late as I was brave enough to try. I could stop at a later braking points without any hint of fade. In one of the slower sections I got on the brakes hard and thought I felt the ABS for a split second, but that never happened again. I was running in the intermediate group and not pushing it to the max everywhere but did set a new personal lap time by 1 sec during the 5th session. Not sure if it was the pads or the fact that I had dialed in the tire pressures right or track temps had dropped or that I was trying to catch a GT350R, which I did. Based on my experience and the cost I would use them again without question. They also did not turn the Brembos into Brownbos. I have also used them once on a smaller track without issues.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #247
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I used the PowerStop Track Day pads Friday at COTA for five 25 minutes sessions. Ambient temp was 96, a cooler day than what we had the week before.. I liked them once I got them hot and got used to them I could brake as late as I was brave enough to try. I could stop at a later braking points without any hint of fade. In one of the slower sections I got on the brakes hard and thought I felt the ABS for a split second, but that never happened again. I was running in the intermediate group and not pushing it to the max everywhere but did set a new personal lap time by 1 sec during the 5th session. Not sure if it was the pads or the fact that I had dialed in the tire pressures right or track temps had dropped or that I was trying to catch a GT350R, which I did. Based on my experience and the cost I would use them again without question. They also did not turn the Brembos into Brownbos. I have also used them once on a smaller track without issues.
Awesome, I'm excited to try them out soon.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #248
Rutkowski

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Thought I would share.

Fronts:

Rears:
Thanks so much for sharing!!
I’ve just tested Ferodo DS 1.11 race pads and it turns out they’re actually too aggressive for the OEM discs. So this is really saving my ... for the upcoming trip to Belgium. They even ship to Germany and get here by Wednesday already!
Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #249
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
Thanks so much for sharing!!
I’ve just tested Ferodo DS 1.11 race pads and it turns out they’re actually too aggressive for the OEM discs. So this is really saving my ... for the upcoming trip to Belgium. They even ship to Germany and get here by Wednesday already!

Could you explain what you mean by the DS 1.11 being to aggressive for the disks?

From my experience rotors heat crack out before they wear down on heavy cars like these. Were the DS 1.11's wearing the rotor dramatically?
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:57 AM   #250
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
Could you explain what you mean by the DS 1.11 being to aggressive for the disks?

From my experience rotors heat crack out before they wear down on heavy cars like these. Were the DS 1.11's wearing the rotor dramatically?
They were doing okay at first, but had some pretty deep grooves after the final session (half hour of pushing). I was talking to some guys from a race taxi team there and they suggested that the pads seem to be too rough for the discs.
(They’re using mostly DS 2500 for that reason)
On the way back it smoothened out again with some highway braking, just like they predicted.
I only have 1 year of track experience, so I can’t tell for sure, but it looked to me like the discs were getting quite some beating. (New discs, new pads. Bedding in on the way and easy first session with good transfer layer all over)
With stock pads or DS2500 I was getting heat cracks but no grooves.
Any opinions?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #251
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
They were doing okay at first, but had some pretty deep grooves after the final session (half hour of pushing). I was talking to some guys from a race taxi team there and they suggested that the pads seem to be too rough for the discs.
(They’re using mostly DS 2500 for that reason)
On the way back it smoothened out again with some highway braking, just like they predicted.
I only have 1 year of track experience, so I can’t tell for sure, but it looked to me like the discs were getting quite some beating. (New discs, new pads. Bedding in on the way and easy first session with good transfer layer all over)
With stock pads or DS2500 I was getting heat cracks but no grooves.
Any opinions?
Usually it is the other way around: aggressive pads murder the discs when not up to temps such as in dd conditions.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #252
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Usually it is the other way around: aggressive pads murder the discs when not up to temps such as in dd conditions.
So as said after some highway braking on the way back the grooves were gone. Now I just brought them up to temps with some aggressive braking (basically bedding in process again), and the 2 grooves on the passenger side came back. Also directly noticeable when touching with the finger.
I would have liked to keep the pads on, but my tendency is now rather to opt for stockers for Spa and Hockenheim next week. Would have to switch tomorrow..
Attached Images