Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
2SSLOWW

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Aftermarket Seats?

Looking to get some different seats installed. The 1LE Recaro's are great and amazing but overpriced. Just wondering if anyone's gone any other route.

Just wanting to see what some set ups look like and how much they paid for it? I've seen a few other Braums and Recaro's but curious to see what other options there are. If you have pics, those would be great. Also if you're able to keep the same functionality as the stock seats?
2SSLOWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
dont do braums lol
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
i went with cipher seats, and planted brackets, great price, high end quality and comfortable, here are a few pics installed
Attached Images

bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
2SSLOWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
i went with cipher seats, and planted brackets, great price, high end quality and comfortable, here are a few pics installed
Ohh man. Thats a sweet set up, how much did that cost all together? and did you do the install yourself?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
bmbbl be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSLOWW View Post
Ohh man. Thats a sweet set up, how much did that cost all together? and did you do the install yourself?
thanks !

yes i did everything except the paint (rivercity)and the forming of the stainless.

i have about 75 hours in it,,, there is a wood template behind the stainless/painted part is 1/8 auminum i cut in,,,

here are some of the cost:
seats 650 for both/planted brackets 275 for both,, bought on carid.com
fire ext :450 i made the mount and had it hydrodippped,,,
the rear side panels are hydrodipped that cost alot due to smoothing them out :1200
seatbelts 4 point 450
brey krause harness bar 650
sheetmetal work 200,
and i had another 200 in misc stuff
Old 02-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
thanks !

yes i did everything except the paint (rivercity)and the forming of the stainless.

i have about 75 hours in it,,, there is a wood template behind the stainless/painted part is 1/8 auminum i cut in,,,

here are some of the cost:
seats 650 for both/planted brackets 275 for both,, bought on carid.com
fire ext :450 i made the mount and had it hydrodippped,,,
the rear side panels are hydrodipped that cost alot due to smoothing them out :1200
seatbelts 4 point 450
brey krause harness bar 650
sheetmetal work 200,
and i had another 200 in misc stuff
Just want to point out to 2SSLOWW that this setup is in a 5th Gen, there are still no real seat/bracket combo to be purchased in a "kit" for the gen 6 yet.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
From a safety perspective I trust brands like Recaro and Sparco who are huge brands that manufacture racing seats, and of course factory seats for a lot of vehicle manufacturers.

Before I had the wherewithal to think about the safety perspective of it, I bought some GT3 replica seats off ebay, which looked great, but over the course of just a few months it started creaking and cracking in some spots, so I would be weary of the cheaper brands. I would also think about how the seat is going to hold up in a crash.

Personally I use Sparco's ADV seat which is perfect for my wide shoulders, but it's also for track use so this may not be ideal for the street (actually I'm pretty sure it's illegal on the street due to limited visibility out the sides)

FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
solarstingray

Drives: 2014 c7 corvette and 2017 camaro ss
dude you went full ham !!!! LOL
solarstingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
bmbbl be

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
Just want to point out to 2SSLOWW that this setup is in a 5th Gen, there are still no real seat/bracket combo to be purchased in a "kit" for the gen 6 yet.
carid does show there available 2017 camaro

https://www.carid.com/2017-chevy-cam...786115828.html
Old 02-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
2SSLOWW

Thanks for pointing that out! I really wanted to check out some other options but it seems to be just about around the same price as ordering the factory Recaro's.

I've seen some Recaro's around $1,700. But it seems as the price ends up being just around the same with other seats, brackets, harness, and seatbelts. I definitely don't want to go the cheap route, these 1SS seats are just terrible. You would think they would at least be leather since we paid around $35k for the car.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
2SSLOWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowForm_Wheels View Post
From a safety perspective I trust brands like Recaro and Sparco who are huge brands that manufacture racing seats, and of course factory seats for a lot of vehicle manufacturers.

Before I had the wherewithal to think about the safety perspective of it, I bought some GT3 replica seats off ebay, which looked great, but over the course of just a few months it started creaking and cracking in some spots, so I would be weary of the cheaper brands. I would also think about how the seat is going to hold up in a crash.

Personally I use Sparco's ADV seat which is perfect for my wide shoulders, but it's also for track use so this may not be ideal for the street (actually I'm pretty sure it's illegal on the street due to limited visibility out the sides)

How much was your set up? Also do you have interior pics at all?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSLOWW View Post
How much was your set up? Also do you have interior pics at all?
Seats are something like $995/ea (only needed one), plus mounting hardware which was I think an additional $150, plus the 6-point harness as well which I think was around $100.

I did have photos of my seat installed, but they were uploaded on photobucket so they've totally been lost now thanks to those turds. Anyway it's not installed in a Camaro so it wouldn't have any relevance here how it looked really. Great seat though, very comfy even though you wouldn't expect it.
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #13
SSummit

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Just remember that the seats contain airbags and you would have to overcome this somehow, not to mention that safety concerns of having no side airbags. I would only go for OEM seats if I were you unless it is strictly a track car.
SSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #14
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSummit View Post
Just remember that the seats contain airbags and you would have to overcome this somehow, not to mention that safety concerns of having no side airbags. I would only go for OEM seats if I were you unless it is strictly a track car.
Unplug airbags. Done
Nothing to overcome. Just a dummy light on your dash.
We drove cars for decades without airbags. There is no safety concerns.
As long as your seatbelt mounts are solid you are good to go.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote