Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 01-31-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
CeramicPro (Professionally done) vs. Adam's Ceramic Coating

I bought the Adam's Ceramic Coating kit but haven't used it yet. I've never done Ceramic Coating before and am a bit nervous...

I had the car clayed and polished as well as some PPF installed, the place that did the work did a great job, they offer a 5 year Ceramic Coating (CeramicPro) for $790 (plus $190/yr) maintenance...

The 5 Year $790 package:
- 1 Layer of Ceramic Pro 9H
- 1 Layer of Ceramic Pro Light Serving as a Top Coat
- 1 Layer of Ceramic Pro 9H on Plastic and Rims
- 1 Layer of Ceramic Pro Rain on Windshield and Front Side Windows
- 5 Year Warranty

Is it worth all the extra money or am I better off doing the Adam's kit and just keep up on it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated from those with experience... (Especially those who have done it themselves).
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
The Blackheart

Drives: 2019 SS/1LE Riverside Blue, Z/28s
I was under the impression Chemical Guys was the way to go, but either way I am interested in responses too!
The Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
What does the $190/yr “maintenance” get you? For that price hopefully a lot of service.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
What does the $190/yr “maintenance” get you? For that price hopefully a lot of service.
Not 100% sure but I believe a full detail and maintenance of the coating (guessing a Ceramic boost treatment?)

I was able to negotiate quite a bit better price than above for the initial application, appointment is next week so have plenty of time to reconsider.

I can use the Adam's kit on one of my other family cars, so that kit won't go to waste, just scared to try the first time on my brand new SS...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 01-31-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
There are plenty of sources for detailing but this guy seems to always talk in DIY terms and of course represent his business. Stumbled across this last year looking for some guidance.

https://www.instagram.com/wilson.auto.detailing/?hl=en

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
There are plenty of sources for detailing but this guy seems to always talk in DIY terms and of course represent his business. Stumbled across this last year looking for some guidance.

https://www.instagram.com/wilson.auto.detailing/?hl=en
That kid is learning a lot fast, and he is sharing it with the world. I like him.
There are better sources of info though. The pre-eminent authority is Mike Phillips at Autogeek. There are some really good pros blogging at detailedimage.com.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:19 PM   #7
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Not 100% sure but I believe a full detail and maintenance of the coating (guessing a Ceramic boost treatment?)

I was able to negotiate quite a bit better price than above for the initial application, appointment is next week so have plenty of time to reconsider.

I can use the Adam's kit on one of my other family cars, so that kit won't go to waste, just scared to try the first time on my brand new SS...
If you have already paid for the claybar and polishing, $790 is WAY too much money. $790 would be a fair price for claybar, polish and ceramic coating. San Diego prices are much higher than where I live, so its tough to compare prices to other parts of the country. However, I charge between $350-500 for claybar, polish and ceramic. To give you an idea, a bottle ceramic is about $50 wholesale and that will do 3 coats. The maintenance ceramic spray is even cheaper.

If it has already been clayed and polished, I'd recommend you go ahead and apply your Adam's. You can't mess it up.

If you are going to get into detailing, that $190/yr maintenance $ could buy a nice polisher and all the trimmings, and you will want to do your own maintenance.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:33 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
If you have already paid for the claybar and polishing, $790 is WAY too much money. $790 would be a fair price for claybar, polish and ceramic coating. San Diego prices are much higher than where I live, so its tough to compare prices to other parts of the country. However, I charge between $350-500 for claybar, polish and ceramic. To give you an idea, a bottle ceramic is about $50 wholesale and that will do 3 coats. The maintenance ceramic spray is even cheaper.

If it has already been clayed and polished, I'd recommend you go ahead and apply your Adam's. You can't mess it up.

If you are going to get into detailing, that $190/yr maintenance $ could buy a nice polisher and all the trimmings, and you will want to do your own maintenance.
I got it for a LOT less than $790...

I bought the Adam's polisher and claybar's... I'll use them on some of the other family cars... Yeah, San Diego is crazy expensive, but I think I'll let them do the SS and try my hand at a couple of the other family cars (a 2019 and 2016), at least if I screw those up I won't cry too much!))

This is my baby, the most expensive car (by FAR (like x2)) I've ever bought, I just don't want to risk screwing it up (ending up with a blotchy ceramic coating, etc)...

Old 01-31-2020, 11:38 PM   #9
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I got it for a LOT less than $790...

I bought the Adam's polisher and claybar's... I'll use them on some of the other family cars... Yeah, San Diego is crazy expensive, but I think I'll let them do the SS and try my hand at a couple of the other family cars (a 2019 and 2016), at least if I screw those up I won't cry too much!))

This is my baby, the most expensive car (by FAR (like x2)) I've ever bought, I just don't want to risk screwing it up (ending up with a blotchy ceramic coating, etc)...
If you can afford it, definitely support your local detailer!
Old 02-01-2020, 12:03 AM   #10
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
If you can afford it, definitely support your local detailer!
Thanks Kirk...

If you were local, I'd "sponsor" you to come over and take care of my baby... These guys I found are doing great work (although at a price), with what I've put into this car so far, I'd be remiss to skimp on the last few hundred $$$ and screw the whole thing up... I HATE spending more than I need on anything, but this is the most expensive car ever in my life so I feel this is not the place to start experimenting to see if I know what I am doing or not...

Old 02-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hi. My question is why don't you just stick to a very high quality carnuba wax? The time consuming part(claying and polishing) are already done. Ceramic coating is finicky and tricky to apply without the blotchiness you want to avoid. Stick with a high quality carnuba for now, while you gather more info on the ceramic. Ceramic is unforgiving and a pain to remove it put on incorrectly. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
Paulie-G

Drives: 2SS 1LE & ZR2
Hey Capt, Where in SD did you get the work done?
I'm local to you.
Love the car btw.
Paulie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #13
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie-G View Post
Hey Capt, Where in SD did you get the work done?
I'm local to you.
Love the car btw.
5 Point Auto Spa in Carlsbad (near Palomar Airport), they did really nice work so far (PPF and Tint), have an appt for Ceramic coating this week...

Old 02-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #14
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The original coatings that came out.....Opti-Coat, and the original C-Quartz, were difficult to apply and remove high spots and get it just right.

Coatings have evolved and the process is much easier today vs. 6 years ago. The coatings from Optimum and Carpro are much easier to apply/remove high spots now.

The Adams coating now even comes with a UV light so you can check if you missed any spots, or have any high spots. Couldn't be easier as coating application goes.

On top of that, Adams has as good/better customer service that you will find in any company, so they will give you any help/tips you may need.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 02-02-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote