Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Check out this video for how Tesla gathers info.

https://youtu.be/Kv_y7J9ROxk

Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #16
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
We are going to need the unredacted version of this letter to verify any collusion with Tesla
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #17
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Fuse pull is the best method. It's like an on and off switch.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #18
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Fuse pull is the best method. It's like an on and off switch.
If you dont need the microphone, which is used for android auto / carplay and the car's embedded voice controls
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The technology is there for sure....Chevy is behind Tesla already in the game. Soon, Tesla will offer insurance because they will know exactly how you drive and use your habits to determine the cost...
Good luck trying to avoid it. More than likely the time will come you can't get insured without it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-p...ce-11557221400
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The technology is there for sure....Chevy is behind Tesla already in the game. Soon, Tesla will offer insurance because they will know exactly how you drive and use your habits to determine the cost...
Good luck trying to avoid it. More than likely the time will come you can't get insured without it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-p...ce-11557221400
Actually GM has had this ability long before Tesla. GM has done over the air programming before Tesla as well.

All that being said, when I wanted to use OnStar data for field test data to improve testing and requirements, I ran into the biggest firewall you can imagine. I could see data and model but NOT anything related to the customer information or location.

But I am always curious why people get so worked up over OnStar but carry a tracker in their pocket everywhere they go. Now we find out People are listening in on Google Home and Amazon Alexa?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #21
JBLUES

Drives: 2017 6.2 vert
yup
Attached Images

JBLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #22
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Actually GM has had this ability long before Tesla. GM has done over the air programming before Tesla as well.

All that being said, when I wanted to use OnStar data for field test data to improve testing and requirements, I ran into the biggest firewall you can imagine. I could see data and model but NOT anything related to the customer information or location.

But I am always curious why people get so worked up over OnStar but carry a tracker in their pocket everywhere they go. Now we find out People are listening in on Google Home and Amazon Alexa?
ehh, GM's OTA is just for the Infotainment, not the ECU/Drivetrain, anything else. So I think Tesla still has the edge on OTA updates.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:25 AM   #23
cellsafemode

Quote:

because onstar can disable/control various aspects of your car. anywhere it can get a cell signal. And while GM doesn't update ECU's over it normally, the ability to flash BCM modules including the ecu is there. On top of tracking.

Your cell phone doesn't. Your cell phone also gives you something valuable for logging and tracking you. Onstar doesn't. Everything onstar tracks has incentive to be used against you rather than for you. Not true of your phone.

You can turn your phone's connectivity off at will, by putting it in airplane mode . OnStar doesn't give you the control over it's connectivity.

Could keep going on about why you would not want onstar but in the end it comes down to not providing any value for what they are taking from you and risking. Because like you mentioned, most everyone already has a device that does everything in their pockets and it's useful everywhere they go...rather than just in their car, which people average maybe 1-2 hours a day in.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #24
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Nailed it.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:37 AM   #25
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
ehh, GM's OTA is just for the Infotainment, not the ECU/Drivetrain, anything else. So I think Tesla still has the edge on OTA updates.
Actually, GM can do a lot more with OnStar but they just don’t. Partially because of respect for consumer privacy and not wanting to jump through the legal hurdles to achieve what they could do and partially because there’s no $$ in it.

GM has the ability for OTA and is doing it in newer vehicles. My mom’s 2019 Terrain has it. I was driving it when it flashed a notice that an update had become available.GM also has the ability, based on the vehicle owner’s request and consent, to slow down a stolen vehicle. This capability has been available at least since 2007 (the year I transferred out of the Tech Planning team that suggested it for implementation) but has only been offered within the last 5-years or so. I had almost forgotten about it until I saw a commercial for it. https://youtu.be/VvZksM1kNj0

This one's even better since it focuses on a real customer and a real incident....

Some of the other things that OnStar is capable of that my team suggested....
  • Ability to tie your car into your home WiFi and share content (for example, drag and drop music from your PC to your car)
  • Ability for your car to send diagnostic information to your dealer as you approached the dealership. Reduce wait time at the dealer and eliminate the need for them to use scan tools to access trouble codes.

I don’t think either of these was ever implemented, but capability existed before 2007.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 05-14-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #26
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
Are people really this crazy? OH GOD THEY KNOW ABOUT MY TIRE PRESSURE!!! Jesus Christ
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #27
cellsafemode

Why would it be considered crazy to want to disable something that provides no value but opens up a vector for remote control of your property - potentially with life threatening results depending on when and where such control takes place?

This isn't a hypothetical based on fantasy what-ifs. Onstar has been hacked before and covered up the fact for half a decade while it slowly fixed the security flaw at their leisure. These types of systems have been shown in the field to be exploitable remotely and even allowing remote control of drivetrain components even while in use in some situations. These are things that have happened and have been shown by the good guys. The people doing this stuff for fun non-white-hat reasons are always 1 step ahead of those that do it to be helpful. Caring about data collection is just a secondary concern - but a concern that everyone should have about everything that is collecting data and not marginalizing anyone who is concerned about what companies are doing with it like some kind of orwellian boot camp brain washing campaign sponsored by Google and Facebook and the NSA to make everyone think it's bad to be concerned about who has your data and what they do with it.

To the people who find no value in the system, it offers nothing but a way to exploit your property that otherwise wouldn't exist. The responsible thing to do would be to disable it, not leave it open. That would be objectively a more "crazy" behavior.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #28
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
We get one of these Tin Foil On-Star threads about once a year...