Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 05-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
samjlee27

Drives: Summit White 2018 Camaro 1SS M6
Really need help with this issue

I've posted about this issue before but I'm going mad because of it. My 2018 SS has been having really bad hanging RPM's after installing a K&N Cold Air Intake. It only happens when I rev up to ~2000 rpm's and it's even worse when engaged in reverse or first gear.

Usually when I'm in reverse I like to tap the gas before releasing the clutch and after intalling the CAI, the revs will shoot up to two grand and hold there for a few seconds before falling. If I rev it up a bit harder, it will fall somewhat more normally which I don't understand. 100% sure this didn't happen before because I have a video of the car before and after.

Checked for vacuum leaks using propane, didn't find any. Cleaned out the MAF, issue still persists. Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and letting it sit, nothing. What's weird is if I rev it while rolling in neutral around 2k, it falls at a normal speed. Once I come to a stop, back to hanging. Also if I rev while clutched in while rolling, it will hold. It makes it such a pain when trying to rev-match.

Few buddies of mine think the intake is sucking in way too much air and that it needs a tune even though K&N markets the product (63-3092) without requiring a tune.

I will send $50 on Venmo to the person who can help me resolve this annoying rev hang.
samjlee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
wilf
Wilf

Drives: Gen 6 HyperBlue SS, Yellow C7
Mine does that when cold only. This TSB may help, but it sounds like you need a dealer mechanic to get interested in looking at it. Not sure about warranty being invalid with mods. Might have to pull them off and see if issue still there and go to dealer.

Bulletin No.: PIP5379
Date: Feb-2016
Subject: RPM May Hang High After The Throttle Is Snapped
Models: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Built with an LT1 6.2L engine
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
A vehicle may have a concern of the idle hanging high after a throttle is snapped
There may be two issues in play here –
1. The first issue requires a gear shift interaction, this one is an extended hang typically around 2000 rpm.
2. There was also an issue with a slower than normal RPM decay after a tip-in during catalyst light-off.
Recommendation/Instructions
For the first concern Engineering is working on a fix and the PI will be updated when it is released
For the second concern
The fix for this one was released 2/1/2016 along with a diagnostic robustness change.
Check for calibration update
12676871 – Domestic Engine Cal
12676874 – Domestic Diag Cal
• Fuel Adjustment Post Diagnostic (FAPD) failures on a limited number of cars with extended Active Fuel Management (AFM) operation, False P2096,
P2097, P2098, P2099 DTCs (Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Low/High Limit Bank 1/2)
• Surge/Flare with light tip-in / out on cold starts when Catalyst Light Off (CLO) is active
If the ECM does not have the latest update the ECM and reevaluate the concern.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty use:
Labor Operation Description Labor Time
2810075 Engine Control Module Reprogramming with SPS Use Published Labor Operation Time
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the
remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may
occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools,
safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that
your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
It doesn't seem like the K&N intake would cause this condition. I suggest that you take the K&N intake off and verify that the problem continues. Check to make sure the cables to the MAF and TB are connected tightly. Then schedule an appointment with the dealer to check it out. Don't give them the opportunity to deny warranty or hassle you over the K&N. If the problem goes away with the OEM intake then reach out to K&N Support for suggestions.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
samjlee27

Drives: Summit White 2018 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf View Post
Mine does that when cold only. This TSB may help, but it sounds like you need a dealer mechanic to get interested in looking at it. Not sure about warranty being invalid with mods. Might have to pull them off and see if issue still there and go to dealer.
Interesting how you say it only does it when cold, mine only does it when warmed up...
samjlee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Like everyone said in your original post......put the stock intake back on.