Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Weight Savings?

Hope its okay I started this thread here... I figure its the most appropriate place to start.

Less Weight= better fuel economy, better acceleration, better handling.....

Fresh from test driving a M6 2SS, I really noticed the 3700 lbs of weight coming from my ride which is about 400 lbs lighter with roughly the same power/tq.

Not sure if it was due to the saleman's fat ass next to me, but it felt.... a little under the ideal power to weight ratio I was shooting for.

Just wondering if the tuners around here doing Journals have identified any weight savings possible from swapping out components.

I was particularily curious about the composition of the drive shaft. Perhaps if its not exotic, an aluminum drive shaft could save some weight.

Anyone weigh the seats or tried to remove them?
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
Why even consider a camaro when you have an Audi TT?
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Simple answer? Don't get the 2SS. Sucks but its the truth. Easiest way to save on all the weight adding components.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&M CAMARO 6 View Post
Why even consider a camaro when you have an Audi TT?
Well... how bout I answer that with a question of my own for you....

How much is your insurance?

My car weighs 3300 lbs, and goes 0-60 in about 3.7 seconds... 3.5 on a good day.... Love the handling, love the power, and the ability to drive it thru a snowstorm on blizzaks like the snowmobile from hell.....

HOWEVER...

My insurance on my TTRS is $3400 a year....

$1000 minimum deductible

One scratch and its an easy $2500

All these new F-150 owners are in for a big surprise when they find that all those weight saving aluminum body panels have a high cost when they sign for their insurance or get in their first fender bender....

Combined with the price of German parts for a rare car, my warranty soon running out..... Wanna know how much a replacement model proprietary gas cap costs?

$125.... after waiting 5 weeks for it to ship from Germany... no cant use a auto store generic cap... must be "special"....

I want to get back to great value sports car.

I've never gave a shit about car brand and status... If they had made a VW version of the 2.5T AWD I would have grabbed that in a heartbeat instead....

I miss RWD dynamics and a great V8.

I dont need rear seats, trunk is big enough for hockey gear.... but I'm not about to spend $80k Canadian on a Corvette with fibreglass just as expensive to insure....

Now perhaps it was the hefty salesmen sitting next to me on the test drive, but I felt it needs to lose about 100lbs.

Rip out the back seats, lighter weight drive shaft, lighter wheels, maybe rip out the airbags (shhhhhhh....)

I will be most likely ordering a 1LE and tracking it when the time and conditions allow.

Either that or get an LS1/T56 stuffed into a restored Datsun 240Z ....

that being said, if bolt ons get the hp/torque of the LT1 past 500 at the crank ( ball park) than I should be close to my old power to weight ratio.

Last edited by aa406079; 02-08-2016 at 07:22 PM.
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
I own a 2016 Camaro 1SS and pay $95 a month for full coverage and I am 33. So this is going to be biased review based on my thoughts. I can say that from driving an Audi TTRS there is a difference. I have about 2500 miles now and you get used to the 300lbs very easily when this has a 100 hp and 100 lb ft or torque and a v8 NA is alot different then a inline 5 cylinder turbo. The AWD helps and I love stop light or hwy awd turbo cars but rwd is still king in my book. This car is 300 hp more but is designed to be a whole lot more of a vehicle for track and 1/4.

That being said this is the first time 460hp does not feel like 460 hp. This car has alot of traction when you let the clutch pedal up and throw all the gas at it. I have driven 400-500whp evo's and sti's and these cars at their limits are twitchy to say the least. Boost takes alot more patience and understanding at its limits too. Personally alot more fun driving a manual v8 everyday. I even say that I just drove a McLaren p14 through the Colorado mountains on an exoctic rental car experience. The McLaren is a small v8 but twin turbo light weight amazing car every once in a while. No DD especially I am 6'2".
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
First off, the "hefty" sales guy next to you might have added 200 pounds to the ride. That is significant.

It has already been proven that the SS, with not a lot of fuel in it, weighs in under 3,600 pounds.

I'm willing to bet, that although it still wouldn't have met your wants, if you had test driven a lighter 1SS, without a porky buddy in the passenger seat, therefore removing 250 pounds from the car, it would have felt differently.

That said, its not going to be that difficult to remove an extra 50+ pounds from the car, and while your add it, add a good amount of torque to the power.

Last but not least, the "butt dyno" is never accurate when going from one ride to the next. The Camaro hooks and goes without much drama, but when you see these things constantly pulling off low 12s stock in the 1/4, you know they really are fast.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
This car is still relatively new and not many had access to them like some did with Gen5. Shops are just now getting their cars and figuring out what can be removed, from where, with what side-effects, etc. Even mods are start to just now trickle out. None of that includes the long term testing to figure out what may work now, but will cause trickle down issues later in other areas.

Sprung and Unsprung weight will act differently as well and affect your perception of the car's sluggishness or behavior.

If you're looking to unload weight from the car in a way that you'll notice, look in to lighter wheels, tires and rotors. That's all spinning mass that you'll notice on velocity and vector changes. Well, at least in the 5th gens that was true. With this new steering system, the motor may compensate for that and you'll notice less when trying to change the car's direction, but you should still be able to notice it on velocity changes.

Someone basically pulled apart an Gen 5 SS and weighed most everything inside the car. That was immensely helpful to all of us looking to save weight. I don't remember that person offhand, so I'm sorry for that (whomever you are).

The weight savings vs longevity/performance for things like CF shafts, after market axles, replacement of various suspension bits, center sections, removing AFM/NPP valving, lighter MRC systems, etc. all remains to be seen at this point.

Do we even know if the Braille batteries fit in place yet? Those were worth a pretty good bit of weight, for those in the right climate.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote