Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #43
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Oh come on don’t be such a snob. I owe nothing to my arguments, they’re crystal clear.

Besides, Cadillac used “Rock n Roll” in their ads when they first released the V series. I think if anyone needs to do their arguments more justice it’s YOU!!!
I guess this will blow your mind then--I not only listen to rock music, I play rock and roll--the drums and I love Zeppelin and Bonham. I also love internal combustion engines. I also think a hybrid or full electric camaro would be super cool. Your assertion that people who like the idea of an electric Camaro are "Yanni" types is just pathetic and makes you seem so desperate that you'll use the most simplistic arguments to make your point. So, yes, you DO owe your arguments a little more than that!

There are PLENTY of people here who are looking forward to the tech coming in the near future. YOU are the one who made a post describing these people as "boring yanni types" so don't cower and cry now that I'm calling you out on it

It's all in good fun and we all want to see the Camaro live on. I'm glad to see your at at least passionate about performance cars. We need that to survive.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #44
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I'm very sure that if the members of Led Zepplin knew you were invoking their name in defense of the "rock and roll lifestyle" and somehow conflating that with driving internal combustion engines, they'd laugh at your naivete. "Ladies, drinks, and parties?" LOL.

I love my SS as much as anyone here. And I actually agree with your points. I think batteries are a fundamentally stupid way to power a car. But that was one of the most cringe-worthy posts I've read in quite a while, mainly owing to the reactionary judgemental tone. You owe it to your arguments to do them more justice!

Also, fear not. I believe that mass ethanol production will enable the ICE to live on, far into the future, for those who want one.
Although i was never a Led Zeppelin fan i was more Genesis ,Kansas, Zappa and Floyd fan but i get the connection .Nick Mayson from Pink Floyd is a huge car fan and owns a Ferrari 250 GTO . I have tons of memories in my 81 Z28 back in 84 ,great times . The smaller displacement motors with the newest technology in turbo chargers on the way for the next gen Camaro really have my interest ,they will be the fastest Camaros ever made .That day when GM produces a EV Camaro that does 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds or less ,i want to be part of that . People will get to see what a real EV performance car is all about , and that Camaro can be delivered the day your in the dealership instead of sending off thousands of dollars in the hopes of actually getting the car deliverd at all . I miss those days of catless cars driving around and that whiff of gas in the air ,but wouldn't give up my 1Le for one . I can't wait to see whats next for the Camaro .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #45
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I guess this will blow your mind then--I not only listen to rock music, I play rock and roll--the drums and I love Zeppelin and Bonham. I also love internal combustion engines. I also think a hybrid or full electric camaro would be super cool. Your assertion that people who like the idea of an electric Camaro are "Yanni" types is just pathetic and makes you seem so desperate that you'll use the most simplistic arguments to make your point. So, yes, you DO owe your arguments a little more than that!

There are PLENTY of people here who are looking forward to the tech coming in the near future. YOU are the one who made a post describing these people as "boring yanni types" so don't cower and cry now that I'm calling you out on it

It's all in good fun and we all want to see the Camaro live on. I'm glad to see your at at least passionate about performance cars. We need that to survive.
Why? Why exactly would a full electric Camaro be so cool? I don’t care if it goes 0-60 instantaneously. Electric takes ALL the fun out of it. An electric car is the same whether it’s a Tesla, Camaro, or Nissan. There’s no personality to the car. There’s nothing unique. There’s nothing to look at or work on when you open the hood or go underneath. It’s an electric motor and batteries. Big ****ing deal.

Listen to my electric motor when I fire it up
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #46
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Quote:
Why? Why exactly would a full electric Camaro be so cool? I don’t care if it goes 0-60 instantaneously. Electric takes ALL the fun out of it. An electric car is the same whether it’s a Tesla, Camaro, or Nissan. There’s no personality to the car. There’s nothing unique. There’s nothing to look at or work on when you open the hood or go underneath. It’s an electric motor and batteries. Big ****ing deal.

This. Electric shit has no SOUL.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #47
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
I still miss Led Zeppelin.
the greatest of all time in my opinion and rank #4 in all time album/CD sales. The Stones are #13

All the artwork in my house is rock related with these two taking prominent positions above the fireplace (first) and eat in kitchen (second).

Sorry for the thread jack.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #48
Michael2000

Drives: .
There are a lot of unanswered questions about making a Camaro EV.

Can you run it on the track, and actually finish more than a few laps? I don't think there is enough battery capacity with today's Lithium batteries.

Can you run it up a mountain road, and actually get home? Again, I doubt it.

There is Formula E, and they actually have to switch cars during the race, because the batteries don't have enough capacity. Add to that it is a shortened race to begin with, compared to say Formula 1.

Lithium batteries are nearing their theoretical maximum. We would need a new type of battery.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #49
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
i'm sure they will make an electric Camaro. But right now we do not have the infrastructure to handle a majority electrical fleet of cars. Just imagine how many charging stations would have to be added to make it a reality for any kind of travel, other then a simple commute.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:46 AM   #50
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

You and protovack are carrying on a very intriguing conversation. I understand where you are going with your argument and wholeheartedly applaud the American spirit you represent, minor fallacies and exaggerations aside. To me, electric cars feel like theme park bumper cars that are really fast off the line.

Number 3 did make a valid point in that your beef is not actually with electric cars, however, I also see them as a(nother) manifestation of stripping freedoms from people, not negligibly because future electric powertrains are invariably mated with increasing self-driving capability, which will then invariably imply centralized monitoring and control, if only for "optimized routing, resource usage and traffic patterns" or "ensuring better highway safety and zero fatalities". These aren't unworthy goals in themselves, but I don't believe in surrendering responsibility, liberty and control to gain some safety.

(As a side note, I'm from Eastern Europe, and during the first four decades of my life I spent there I never even once thought of cars and driving as anything interesting or beyond "point A to point B", in fact I had to think about how to even pop the hood on my cars with their meager 1.2-1.4L engines that I considered more than sufficient.

Here, as I feel, the car culture is still permeating society and is more than palpable, I fell in a very surprising love with it, and would very much hate to see cars become appliances. Some may say resistance is futile, but then no freedoms are ever awarded, they're always fought for and often come at a high price.

Hope this is still okay to post and pardon me for the litte digression. Oh, and I had to check wikipedia to find out who Yanni is, but my taste in music is more diverse than most hardcore types would approve of. And I have the A8 on my 2SS, even though I drove nothing but stick back in Europe. People are complex
)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #51
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:

I agree!

But just to play devils advocate...

Does your internal combustion weed wacker have "soul"?
Lawn mower?
Air compressor?

At the end of the day, an engine is just an engine. It serves to transmit power to the wheels.Yes there is something magical about the ICE because it involves explosions and fire. But isn't the movement of the electron just as magical?

I happen to think it is NOT as magical because with the ICE you are unlocking the chemical energy right "inside" the machine it is powering. Whereas with electricity, the energy has already been extracted, and now its just being moved around. From a battery, to an engine, to the wheels.

The energy extraction and application are no longer in the same place.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #52
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
The Government is going to shove electric cars down your throat whether you like it or not. Did you know if we stayed in the Paris Accords mandatory fuel taxes were going to make gas by 2030 $49 dollars a gallon. So you stop using it. That's why Paris is burning.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #53
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARBIE 1 View Post
This is why my 17 2SS is my last car I'm buying. I love the sound and power.
If you've ever rode in a Tesla, it suxxxxxxxxxxxxx ass.

We're in the last decade of muscle cars with badass V8's which really really sux.
Apparently the one you rode in was not in Insane Mode.
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #54
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
You mean ludicrous?
Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #55
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
I know it's two years ago article, but it seems 7th gen is going to full electric
Old 03-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #56
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
The Government is going to shove electric cars down your throat whether you like it or not. Did you know if we stayed in the Paris Accords mandatory fuel taxes were going to make gas by 2030 $49 dollars a gallon. So you stop using it. That's why Paris is burning.
In most of Europe and Asia all liquid hydrocarbon fuels are imported, which is a HUGE cashflow drain on their economies. So they have huge petrol and ICE displacement taxes and are ramming electric down their own throats for their own economic survival.

In the 'states we have our own sources of fossil fuels (today's crude oil price crash not withstanding) and we have a HUGE export economy for refined hydrocarbon fuels. There is zero rational economic reason for the US Govt to shut down the oil industry any time soon. Improve it? Sure. But liquid hydrocarbon based fuels are not going anywhere until the energy density of battery storage improves at least to the point where you can drive a BEV 500 miles w/o recharge and then recharge it at least 50% in under 5 minutes. This is at least 10+ years off, likely closer to 25-50 with carbon-air and other future high-density energy storage technologies which I will likely never see in my lifetime.

Interesting video on the subject:
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote