Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #15
68Vette

Drives: 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic, MRC, NPP
I know the A8's are a tick faster then the manual's, but if I'm going to own a V8, rear wheel drive sports car, then I'm going to row my own gears - IMO the car is much more engaging with it.
68Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #16
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I ordered a manual. I think if you find the right dealer and salesman (my salesman is a friend of my uncle's, and my uncle has been a mechanic for 50+ years - they're both car guys), ordering a manual and getting it through the whole process is not a chore but a thing of pride for them.

When I told him I was interested in a 2SS 6 speed he said "I wish all my customers were". Now I'm sure that's a little bit of the salesman in him talking but I could tell he was excited.

As far as a stick being an anti-theft device, more often than not it is. There's a few news stories where thugs have tried to carjack people and when they get in and find it's a stick they get up and run away. Even for those who know how to drive stick, when you're on a mission to steal someone's car without getting arrested, driving a stick is too much to think about.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #17
Wiskey

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
I have the Manual! In fact that was a requirement of mine. Funny thing was that my sales guy didn't know how to drive a stick so we had to pull it from the dealer lineup and back it back in when we did he test drive.

Out of maybe 10 Camaro's I'd say they had 2 manuals, only one of those was a V6, and it happened to be the color I wanted so we went with it.

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #18
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
There is a meme going around facebook. Shows a picture of a manual shifter and says "best anti theft device". When I was buying my Camaro the finance guy was explaining the SWAT anti theft stuff to me. I said my car already has the best anti theft device I can get. He looked at me and I said it has a manual transmission. He kind of rolled his eyes and said "I wouldn't rely on that". IMMEDIATELY after he said that he got a call, it was brief, when he hung up he said it might take a bit to get my car cleaned up for delivery they are looking for someone who can drive a manual to pull it into detail. I said SEE????
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #19
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
For gen5s, in total of 5 year production manual SS were sitting at 12% which probably be the same or 15% for the 6th gen. We are a dying breed and I like it that way
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #20
Cam 6

Drives: 2018 Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipNWis View Post
Dealers very seldom order Manual's. You be surprised home many people can't drive a stick. I have ordered stck in all my Camaros just so my Kids can't say DAD let me drive your Camaro. <<< LOL >>>> They never learned to drive a stick HAHAHAHAHAHA And they aren't going to learn in my new Car hahahahah
They say the best anti-theft device on a car is a manual tranny.

Lol. Just saw WhyUMad1LE beat me to the punch.
Cam 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #21
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
For gen5s, in total of 5 year production manual SS were sitting at 12% which probably be the same or 15% for the 6th gen. We are a dying breed and I like it that way
well, I'm in my early 20s, and enjoy manuals, and want manuals to be around for decades more, I don't want the breed to die out completely.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
well, I'm in my early 20s, and enjoy manuals, and want manuals to be around for decades more, I don't want the breed to die out completely.
There's hope for the future of our country
Old 06-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #23
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I'll offer up my story. My better-half suggested we drive to a dealership she had had good luck with in the past. We drove the WRX to the dealership (6M). Becky found the 2SS 6M on the lot. The salesperson asked if we wanted to go for a ride. I said I'd go out first and then the salesperson could go for a ride with Becky. Becky came back and said that she could drive this manual any where. No auto for me! We made the deal and drove the SS home that day.

Other dealerships did not have a manual on the lot in either the SS or the C7.

Both of us grew up on farms and have been driving manuals for -- OK a very long time (over half a century for me).
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #24
BlkReaper

Drives: 2016 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanky View Post
Well it is a lot less for sure. Let's see...

From where I live there is 1,117 2016 camaro's available according to cars.com

It says only 76 of them are manual.

It says 772 of them are automatic.

That leaves 269 which are a hybrid of ManuMatic.

So if you do the math... that equals... cars.com is a waste of time to figure this up! :(

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lot less than 25% though. Seems everytime I look up a dealer or go to one they have 1 or 2 manual out of 10 or so camaro's on average. I'm not saying that is a bad thing as it appears the auto is faster by a tiny bit... but it is somewhat harder since I want (_need_) a manual!
"Manumatic" is still an Auto
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #25
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
Haha, I don't EVER want manual to die. I think when it comes to American performance cars, it won't die off. We will always be a rare breed which is fine. As long as automatic is an OPTION, we are good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
There's hope for the future of our country
TRUTH!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #26
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
I remember scratching my head when I bought my GTO in 2006. If you wanted the M6 it costed more. The auto was standard. That probably wasn't the only car to do that but it was the only one I had seen...
greg72982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #27
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
There was a time when Corvette charged $900 for the manual and the auto trans was standard. Can't recall when but I am sure someone here will remember.

Corvette is about 1/3 manual and 2/3 auto every year, including those years the manual was an option.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #28
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
I remember scratching my head when I bought my GTO in 2006. If you wanted the M6 it costed more. The auto was standard. That probably wasn't the only car to do that but it was the only one I had seen...
But because the gas guzzler tax on the auto was even more than the option to buy the manual, the manual actually still cost less.

I think the GGT was something like $1800.