Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2023, 05:11 PM   #561
ariZona28
Give speed a chance
 
ariZona28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Mesa, Az
Posts: 2,265
He has plenty of influence on me. Whenever he or his "boss " appear on my television screen it influences me to hit this button on my remote.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2LS: a TREMENDOUS machine. Z/28: it's a BIT MORE POWERFUL, of course.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:40 PM   #562
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
He has plenty of influence on me. Whenever he or his "boss " appear on my television screen it influences me to hit this button on my remote.


Here’s how I make the distinction between having power and having influence.

When I was Director of Powertrain Planning I had almost zero power but quite a bit of influence. Product Chief Engineers and Manufacturing Superintendents were at the same level as me and they had power. I could ask them to do something and they could tell me to pound sand and there was nothing I could do about it. Except maybe start looking for sand.

But in my position I was an advisor to the VP of Engineering and the VP of Manufacturing (and others). If I could influence them to follow a particular strategy or suggestion, they would direct the Chief Engineers and Superintendents to execute the strategy. I didn’t have the power, they did and my reach was only as good as my ability to get them to use their power on my behalf. Kerry has influence, but not much if any power.
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:44 AM   #563
snizzle
Recalled user
 
snizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Kerry has influence, but not much if any power.
Quibbling over semantics.

I think the original point stands that our country has influence over others, even if only because we send billions (we don't have) in foreign aid to not only allies but countries that hate us. >30% of total to middle east. So our energy policy influences the world to a degree. They will say publicly what they need to so the checks clear, especially if the monies are earmarked to combat climate change.
__________________

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:05 AM   #564
kevint
 
Drives: 2013 1SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
He has plenty of influence on me. Whenever he or his "boss " appear on my television screen it influences me to hit this button on my remote.
It's weird that you only mute the tv instead of just changing the channel, but to each their own I guess.
kevint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #565
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Quibbling over semantics.
Definitely not semantics. That’s why I detailed the example from one of my assignments at GM. I had zero power to decide what engines / transmissions would be made when and where, or what vehicles they would go in. I had to work through the Chief Engineers, Superintendents, and VPs who did have the power. The best I could do was give them the information they needed to make the decisions in the direction I wanted the decisions to fall. That’s influence, not power. Power is saying “this engine will be produced at Plant 1 and installed in Vehicle A.” I DID NOT have that kind of juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I think the original point stands that our country has influence over others, even if only because we send billions (we don't have) in foreign aid to not only allies but countries that hate us. >30% of total to middle east. So our energy policy influences the world to a degree. They will say publicly what they need to so the checks clear, especially if the monies are earmarked to combat climate change.
Let’s go about this a different way… Think about all of the connections you have that are important to you. Now, list the ones that have either the power or influence to have you publicly state something that is directly opposite of what you truly believe (Tucker Carlson doesn’t count ). I’m guessing that second part would be an amazingly short list.

Now, let’s apply that to UAE and John Kerry. What “power” or even influence can John Kerry have over UAE to have one of their top ministers publicly say something they don’t believe in when it would be much simpler to just say nothing?
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:32 AM   #566
Iron Lung Jimmy

 
Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,460
The UAE would like nothing better than for the US to shut dowm our production. Then eventually we would have to beg them for oil... oh, wait.

Anyway, I view his comments as strategically encouraging us to continue down this somewhat misguided path so they can regain all the power
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:51 AM   #567
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
The UAE would like nothing better than for the US to shut dowm our production. Then eventually we would have to beg them for oil... oh, wait.

Anyway, I view his comments as strategically encouraging us to continue down this somewhat misguided path so they can regain all the power
US is the top oil producing country by a lot. UAE is #7. Less than a third of US production. That’s pushing a really large bolder up a very steep hill. Strategic capital is better used in an area where there is likely to be some positive impact. It would be simpler for them to just say nothing. Even simpler to not accept an invitation to attend and speak at the conference. Full disclosure…my company sponsors this conference every year.
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:16 AM   #568
Iron Lung Jimmy

 
Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,460
But to think the UAE gives a rip about green energy requires a major suspension of disbelief. That would be like cattle farmers encouraging people to become vegans.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:25 AM   #569
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
But to think the UAE gives a rip about green energy requires a major suspension of disbelief. That would be like cattle farmers encouraging people to become vegans.
Unless they are also getting into the business, ala BP, Shell, et cetera.
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:23 PM   #570
Realist

 
Realist's Avatar
 
Drives: No Camaro :(
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chitown Burbs
Posts: 1,138
Crazy as it may sound, I’m starting to see a Tesla Model Y Performance as a possible replacement to the wife’s leased Rogue in a year or so. It may be parked in the garage next to a 23 Canyon AT4 and a manual Camaro (69, 14/15 Z/28 or 17-24 ZL1). Other options out there too, so it’s going to be interesting to see how it all plays out on my end.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:11 PM   #571
snizzle
Recalled user
 
snizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Crazy as it may sound, I’m starting to see a Tesla Model Y Performance as a possible replacement to the wife’s leased Rogue in a year or so. It may be parked in the garage next to a 23 Canyon AT4 and a manual Camaro (69, 14/15 Z/28 or 17-24 ZL1). Other options out there too, so it’s going to be interesting to see how it all plays out on my end.
14/15 Z/28 will be a cult classic if it isn't already. Don't walk, run!
__________________

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:59 PM   #572
snizzle
Recalled user
 
snizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,424
Remember kids, it’ll never be enough.

https://www.aceee.org/blog-post/2022...efficiency-evs
__________________

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:04 PM   #573
Idaho2018GTPremium

 
Idaho2018GTPremium's Avatar
 
Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Definitely not semantics. That’s why I detailed the example from one of my assignments at GM. I had zero power to decide what engines / transmissions would be made when and where, or what vehicles they would go in. I had to work through the Chief Engineers, Superintendents, and VPs who did have the power. The best I could do was give them the information they needed to make the decisions in the direction I wanted the decisions to fall. That’s influence, not power. Power is saying “this engine will be produced at Plant 1 and installed in Vehicle A.” I DID NOT have that kind of juice.



Let’s go about this a different way… Think about all of the connections you have that are important to you. Now, list the ones that have either the power or influence to have you publicly state something that is directly opposite of what you truly believe (Tucker Carlson doesn’t count ). I’m guessing that second part would be an amazingly short list.

Now, let’s apply that to UAE and John Kerry. What “power” or even influence can John Kerry have over UAE to have one of their top ministers publicly say something they don’t believe in when it would be much simpler to just say nothing?
I’m curious: How much influence did you have over GM stuffing the LT4 in the ZL1 AND with the same hp as the Z06? If you had anything to do with that, props to you!
__________________
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
2022 GR Supra 3.0

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:19 PM   #574
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I’m curious: How much influence did you have over GM stuffing the LT4 in the ZL1 AND with the same hp as the Z06? If you had anything to do with that, props to you!
I would say that the most influence my team had was we nailed the intel on GT350 and GT500 so the Camaro team knew what was coming. After that it was all Tadge, Al, and Jordan Lee. By that time I was out of the Powertrain Portfolio Planning job and in Product Portfolio working on Competitor and Technology Intel. You do remember which forum you and I first met on, right?
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.