Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #43
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
My God...what an awful, ridiculous showing from Tesla on revealing this truck. People plopping $100 down on this 80s movie future cyber punk truck have no idea what they are going to get, and how long it will take to get it. No way the truck shown is production ready. It's sad really, that there are people so convinced that Elon is the second coming of the almighty they have convinced themselves this truck actually looks good, and that the specs are "amazing".

I watched the reveal, and I, like most other people, felt like the whole thing was joke. I kept waiting for Elon to say "HA Ha...got ya...here's the real one..." but it never happened. Felt like he just punked everyone watching. I'm pretty sure the crowd wanted to boo the truck when it first drove up onto stage. ...and then the presentation itself sucked...I mean it sucked hard.

So about those "amazing" specs I've seen pop up in multiple headlines. They say "looks are polarizing but has amazing specs". No, just stop right there. This truck is butt freaking ugly. The interior is ugly. "But it can tow 14 thousand pounds!!!!!!!" Sure...when you pony up for the 70+ thousand dollar version. Hrrmmm...I think I'll just go out and buy an HD that can do double that...thank you. "But it has a 3,500 payload!!! omg omg omg". Again...the website says "up to" 3,500. Again...for the price you are in HD territory, where current trucks are near, or surpassing those payloads.

0 - 60 in 2.9 seconds? OK...I'll give that to Tesla. The only spec they can brag about. Cept….it's a truck so....

The base $40,000 truck (which we will likely never see) is no better at work than a $30,000 Colorado, and no faster either. Base truck is also rear wheel drive only....Oh you wanted All wheel drive? Oops...gotta pony up for the $50,000 version.

I'm still not convinced at all that this is the final version of the truck from Tesla that will actually land in customers hands some day. In the meantime, the sheep will supply Tesla with some temporary cash to keep going, while Ford and GM come out with BEV trucks before the cyber truck even hits the market.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #44
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
1.) How exactly could an oil company have any influence on what cars car companies build?

2.) Why would the CEO and stockholders of any car company give a flying fluck about the interests of an oil company and what would motivate them to cater to those interests?

Answers:

1.) They couldn't.

2.) There would be no reason nor motivation.
I am not a conspiracy theorist in any way shape or form. But it is pretty much a known fact companies that have a lot to lose from another company being successful try their best to bury them. I mean it’s common sense that they would try.

-The other companies can lobby to create hurdles - perfect example, tesla dealers were banned in certain states. That was auto/oil lobbying.

-they try to smear the imagine through social media and the news. There is tons of negative press associated with tesla. This comes from car companies, oil companies, and short sellers.

I’m sure there are many other ways to do this that I’m not aware of, but they sure as shit attempt to create hurdles. Tesla is heavily impacting oil and auto industries, the biggest industries in the world. There will be trillions of dollars shifting hands.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #45
GuywithL86

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
My God...what an awful, ridiculous showing from Tesla on revealing this truck. People plopping $100 down on this 80s movie future cyber punk truck have no idea what they are going to get, and how long it will take to get it. No way the truck shown is production ready. It's sad really, that there are people so convinced that Elon is the second coming of the almighty they have convinced themselves this truck actually looks good, and that the specs are "amazing".

I watched the reveal, and I, like most other people, felt like the whole thing was joke. I kept waiting for Elon to say "HA Ha...got ya...here's the real one..." but it never happened. Felt like he just punked everyone watching. I'm pretty sure the crowd wanted to boo the truck when it first drove up onto stage. ...and then the presentation itself sucked...I mean it sucked hard.

So about those "amazing" specs I've seen pop up in multiple headlines. They say "looks are polarizing but has amazing specs". No, just stop right there. This truck is butt freaking ugly. The interior is ugly. "But it can tow 14 thousand pounds!!!!!!!" Sure...when you pony up for the 70+ thousand dollar version. Hrrmmm...I think I'll just go out and buy an HD that can do double that...thank you. "But it has a 3,500 payload!!! omg omg omg". Again...the website says "up to" 3,500. Again...for the price you are in HD territory, where current trucks are near, or surpassing those payloads.

0 - 60 in 2.9 seconds? OK...I'll give that to Tesla. The only spec they can brag about. Cept….it's a truck so....

The base $40,000 truck (which we will likely never see) is no better at work than a $30,000 Colorado, and no faster either. Base truck is also rear wheel drive only....Oh you wanted All wheel drive? Oops...gotta pony up for the $50,000 version.

I'm still not convinced at all that this is the final version of the truck from Tesla that will actually land in customers hands some day. In the meantime, the sheep will supply Tesla with some temporary cash to keep going, while Ford and GM come out with BEV trucks before the cyber truck even hits the market.
The specs are indeed impressive compared to a light duty truck.

Your logic is akin to , well whats the point of a raptor when you can buy a 3/4 ton? As if there are no downsides to a 3/4 ton.

The $50k truck for example compared to the 1/2 ton truck market
-faster than any truck on sale, by a considerable margin
-likely more capable off road than anything on sale now, judging by ground clearance and the way the awd system works
-class leading payload, acceptable towing limit
-more comfortable, the air suspension looks super soft judging by the drag race
-mobile power station for camping/construction
-far less cost of ownership. Fuel cost being a big one.
-more reliable
-drives itself
-towing torque will far exceed towing limit. Full capacity towing will be effortless in regards to motor power

The only real downside, which not many talk about, and its a big one, is it will fail miserable at towing on the highway. Electric vehicles shine in stop and go because of the brake regen. On the highway they are limited by their air drag. Which is why they need to be designed so slippery. Towing a trailer at highway speeds will drain that battery so fast it will be almost useless for people that do a lot of highway towing.

The 500mile range one might be good for like 150-175 miles towing a typical 14klb brick. Also because it is so a huge battery, you’re probably looking at 45-min-hour charging time with even the fastest chargers. That is not practical at all if your trying to tow something long distance.

You also stated that the other manufacturers are likely going to compete soon. This is highly unlikely. The battery size is hugely important, especially with trucks. Thus so far, no other manufacturer has been able to touch tesla in regards to battery/range/cost. Nobody does it better. And then........the tesla truck stats came out. The $70k one likely has a 200kwh battery. This is absolutely massive. Just a few years ago that battery alone would cost $70k. This represents a huge cost reduction in batteries for tesla. There is no way in hell that anybody is touching that capacity for that price when they can’t even touch tesla before the truck specs came out.

Teslas electronics are military grade stuff. There is several videos on youtube of them getting taken apart and analyzing the electronic guts. It is extremely hi-grade stuff. The other manufacturers maybe far more experienced at building cars, but they can’t seem to compete with tesla on the electronics side. Evident by the fact that no electric car now match teslas range/kwh.

Consider this whopper....if they can’t match their range/kwh, and tesla invested 100’s of millions in a battery factory to make batteries as cheap is possible, so now you have tesla not only beating you on what can be done size X battery, they can also build size X battery significantly cheaper.

Nobody is touching them for awhile.

Last edited by GuywithL86; 11-25-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #46
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
The specs are indeed impressive compared to a light duty truck.

Your logic is akin to , well whats the point of a raptor when you can buy a 3/4 ton? As if there are no downsides to a 3/4 ton.

The $50k truck for example compared to the 1/2 ton truck market
-faster than any truck on sale, by a considerable margin
-likely more capable off road than anything on sale now, judging by ground clearance and the way the awd system works
-class leading payload, acceptable towing limit
-more comfortable, the air suspension looks super soft judging by the drag race
-mobile power station for camping/construction
-far less cost of ownership. Fuel cost being a big one.
-more reliable
-drives itself
-towing torque will far exceed towing limit. Full capacity towing will be effortless in regards to motor power

The only real downside, which not many talk about, and its a big one, is it will fail miserable at towing on the highway. Electric vehicles shine in stop and go because of the brake regen. On the highway they are limited by their air drag. Which is why they need to be designed so slippery. Towing a trailer at highway speeds will drain that battery so fast it will be almost useless for people that do a lot of highway towing.

The 500mile range one might be good for like 150-175 miles towing a typical 14klb brick. Also because it is so a huge battery, you’re probably looking at 45-min-hour charging time with even the fastest chargers. That is not practical at all if your trying to tow something long distance.

You also stated that the other manufacturers are likely going to compete soon. This is highly unlikely. The battery size is hugely important, especially with trucks. Thus so far, no other manufacturer has been able to touch tesla in regards to battery/range/cost. Nobody does it better. And then........the tesla truck stats came out. The $70k one likely has a 200kwh battery. This is absolutely massive. Just a few years ago that battery alone would cost $70k. This represents a huge cost reduction in batteries for tesla. There is no way in hell that anybody is touching that capacity for that price when they can’t even touch tesla before the truck specs came out.

Teslas electronics are military grade stuff. There is several videos on youtube of them getting taken apart and analyzing the electronic guts. It is extremely hi-grade stuff. The other manufacturers maybe far more experienced at building cars, but they can’t seem to compete with tesla on the electronics side. Evident by the fact that no electric car now match teslas range/kwh.

Consider this whopper....if they can’t match their range/kwh, and tesla invested 100’s of millions in a battery factory to make batteries as cheap is possible, so now you have tesla not only beating you on what can be done size X battery, they can also build size X battery significantly cheaper.

Nobody is touching them for awhile.
the Raptor is a niche product though marketed and targeted at a very specific group of truck buyers. This is supposed to appeal to "regular" truck buyers.

Agree with most of your points. This thing will be fine for stop and go, but towing long distances I think it's going to struggle mightily.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #47
GuywithL86

So to anybody who thinks tesla fans are drinking the cool aid, maybe some are, but a lot of people that are impressed with what they are doing are simply well informed.

If you are not highly impressed it is due to a lack of knowledge
Old 11-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #48
GuywithL86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
the Raptor is a niche product though marketed and targeted at a very specific group of truck buyers. This is supposed to appeal to "regular" truck buyers.

Agree with most of your points. This thing will be fine for stop and go, but towing long distances I think it's going to struggle mightily.
Yeah and the thing is, if you’re towing that much long distances, you probably have an HD with a diesel. This tesla truck is not trying to compete with that.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #49
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
Yeah and the thing is, if you’re towing that much long distances, you probably have an HD with a diesel. This tesla truck is not trying to compete with that.
I honestly don't see the tesla truck competing for truck buyers that regularly do truck stuff. I see it finding a home where people want a truck just because it's a truck or the weekend home depot run once every 6 months. At least until I see how well it holds up when being worked. Towing or hauling all that payload I can see it draining that battery super quick.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #50
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
As a concept vehicle I can kind of get it; As an actual vehicle I'd say no way in hell.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #51

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Tesla truck...

Where are the amber and red sidelights and reflectors? Where are the driver and passenger side rear view mirrors?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #52
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Tesla truck...

Where are the amber and red sidelights and reflectors? Where are the driver and passenger side rear view mirrors?
Isn't it still in concept form?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #53

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Beats me. Concepts are usually never built or even close to what the production will look like. If that's the case why even announce it?...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #54
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I think it is. They can't release that truck shown. It will have to change. Yet that is what they are advertising on their site and taking money for right now. Not saying it would have to change so significantly that it will end up being a different truck (although that might be better) but it will change.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #55
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I dunno what to make if this...I’ll just post it...

https://www.tiktok.com/@greberte/vid...27538429119750
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #56
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
I dunno what to make if this...I’ll just post it...

https://www.tiktok.com/@greberte/vid...27538429119750
That proves exactly what an offensive tackle beating a linebacker in tug-o-war would prove.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote