Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Former 18 & up 5.0 A10 owners, come on in

Hey folks,
I had a 2010 SS Camaro, sold it and got a 2018 GT A10. I really enjoy my Mustang and have had it for a little over a year and half now. It has Kooks L/T's and Lund E85 tune. However, I recently drove a 16SS 6sp, it was a trade in at the dealership I work for. Not surprisingly, I found the driving experience with the 16 SS more driver oriented. The Camaro just felt more connected with the road and with me. And it did so without the hefty feel of the 5th gen that I had. This seems consistent with all that I have read about the 6th gen. I would appreciate anyone else who has had both to opine and specifically anyone with a 2019 SS with the A10. This is not intended to be a bash session but to just simply share your personal experience between the two. I have many more thoughts on the two but would love to hear yours.

The differences (advantages/disadvantages) of these cars has been beat to death from a spec standpoint. Just looking for those who have had both to share their perspectives of the differences as experienced on a daily basis.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*

Last edited by gmcvt; 08-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I had a '19 GT base 6spd. Got an insane deal on it (<$29K). It had the 2k diesel grind sound that started soon after ownership and then the sound started to occur a bit more throughout the rev range.

It worried me a little so I put the car up for sale on Vroom and got more than what I paid for it (excluding tax).
Test drove a 1SS manual and liked it but thought the gearing was a bit too tall (especially 5th and 6th). Drove the A10 and was sold instantly.
It's way faster than the manual GT I had and smoother than the A10 GTs I drove. Sits lower and handles better for sure. No regrets at all.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I had a '19 GT base 6spd. Got an insane deal on it (<$29K). It had the 2k diesel grind sound that started soon after ownership and then the sound started to occur a bit more throughout the rev range.

It worried me a little so I put the car up for sale on Vroom and got more than what I paid for it (excluding tax).
Test drove a 1SS manual and liked it but thought the gearing was a bit too tall (especially 5th and 6th). Drove the A10 and was sold instantly.
It's way faster than the manual GT I had and smoother than the A10 GTs I drove. Sits lower and handles better for sure. No regrets at all.
Good grief, that was a crazy good price. The shifting issue is interesting. Even though I cant compare the GM A10 to the
Ford because I haven't driven it, the trans in the Mustang has always been a bit more edgy on shifting feel. One thing that feels very awkward to me is the pedal config in the Mustang. The Camaro seems more natural in placement and spacing but the Mustang doesn't feel well sorted out. But maybe its just me.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*

Last edited by gmcvt; 08-27-2019 at 03:47 PM.
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Camaro'd

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I had a 2016 Mustang GT, no PP with a 6A and now have a 2018 2SS, 6M. No Magride. Both bought new.

I think the Mustang might have been more convenient to live with, mostly because of the larger trunk, and trunk opening. And would have been a keeper if I did not get into HPDE events.

But, as I progressed on the track, I realized I needed to upgrade the suspension. So I did springs and struts/shocks, cradle lockout kit, shock mounts, sways, PP rims, stick tires.

Then the car started to run high coolant temps. In went with a Mishi radiator. Then, as I got better, the transmission would overheat and go into limp mode on the track. Then it had a piston slap when hot.

I traded it in on the aforementioned Camaro - while it is a 2SS, it has no handling goodies, no magride. I couldn't believe that a bone stock Camaro with the stock Goodyears was 3 seconds faster around the first track I took it to than my Mustang, which was Palmer Motorsports Park.

It didn't overheat, it handles great. The rear end and the rest of the suspension was very well controlled. I was Camaro'd.

I think the Mustang is a very good "sporty" car in its base forms. The Camaro is a sports car in its base forms. With all that cooling, all I had to do is put bigger rims, NT01s, track pads and I'm keeping up with the big boys in Vettes, and built BMWs.

And the little boys in their angry Miatas.

I think my car looks great, is comfortable...and yes, I can see out of it.
Camaro'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro'd View Post
I had a 2016 Mustang GT, no PP with a 6A and now have a 2018 2SS, 6M. No Magride. Both bought new.

I think the Mustang might have been more convenient to live with, mostly because of the larger trunk, and trunk opening. And would have been a keeper if I did not get into HPDE events.

But, as I progressed on the track, I realized I needed to upgrade the suspension. So I did springs and struts/shocks, cradle lockout kit, shock mounts, sways, PP rims, stick tires.

Then the car started to run high coolant temps. In went with a Mishi radiator. Then, as I got better, the transmission would overheat and go into limp mode on the track. Then it had a piston slap when hot.

I traded it in on the aforementioned Camaro - while it is a 2SS, it has no handling goodies, no magride. I couldn't believe that a bone stock Camaro with the stock Goodyears was 3 seconds faster around the first track I took it to than my Mustang, which was Palmer Motorsports Park.

It didn't overheat, it handles great. The rear end and the rest of the suspension was very well controlled. I was Camaro'd.

I think the Mustang is a very good "sporty" car in its base forms. The Camaro is a sports car in its base forms. With all that cooling, all I had to do is put bigger rims, NT01s, track pads and I'm keeping up with the big boys in Vettes, and built BMWs.

And the little boys in their angry Miatas.

I think my car looks great, is comfortable...and yes, I can see out of it.
This post should be pinned somewhere for anyone who's considering a Mustang vs a Camaro, and is planning on doing track events.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
Camaro'd

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Be careful with these truths...hell hath no fury like a Mustang scorned!
Camaro'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
^^^

The man doesn't speak often, but when he does...!

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote