Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Camaro vs. Mustang - Jalopnik

Saw this over on M6G:

https://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-camar...got-1835821199

My response there:

A year ago, I would have voted Camaro. Now since last fall when I got my '18 GT, I voted for Mustang. I must say, growing up a Camaro/Trans Am guy (having owned a 3rd gen Z28 and a modified '95 Trans Am w/ 340 rwhp), I historically saw the two cars as the following:

Looks: 1st gen - tie. After that, Camaro always looked better to me until the Mustang finally caught up to the Camaro in looks around 2012. But with the S550 the GT easily surpassed the Camaro in styling and looks IMO.
Sound: The Mustang GT usually sounded better even though the Camaro usually had a more powerful engine.
Acceleration: The Camaro/Trans Am was usually faster, and I wasted many a 4th gen Mustang GTs in my 4th gen Trans Am.
Status: Even as a Camaro owner, I would have agreed that the Mustang was more recognizable and iconic. It was always the car in the movies/shows/etc. Camaro felt like an afterthought in comparison.
That said, as a little kid, I loved the 3rd Gen IROC-Z, it was vastly better looking than the Fox body Mustang GTs.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
Idaho2018GTPremium

OH, and how about that 1982 Camaro? Ha. The top dog went 0-60 in 9.4 seconds, and it won MT car of the year:

"Though by modern standards the ‘82 Camaro Z28 is far from quick, we were so blown away by its performance that we named it our 1982 Motor Trend Car of the Year. Our CFI and automatic-equipped Camaro accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 9.4 seconds, finished the quarter mile in 17.10 seconds at 80 mph, and stopped from 60 mph in 149 feet."

The SLE and PP2 both go 60-0 in 94 feet. Wowzers. That Z28 took 7.7 seconds to get from 60 mph to 80 mph. 7.7 seconds after 60 mph in my GT* and it is approaching 120 mph.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 07-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
It always seem weird when mustang owners (or anything else for that matter) are on this forum, I can never tell if they are just tolling or what. I mean as a camaro owner i'm not joining mustang forums and posting?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
It always seem weird when mustang owners (or anything else for that matter) are on this forum, I can never tell if they are just tolling or what. I mean as a camaro owner i'm not joining mustang forums and posting?
Plenty of Camaro owners are members over at Mustang6g.com also, including Jim Martin.

It's just about exchange of ideas, if it offends you, you're free to move along.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I'm on tons of car forums. I don't own a Mustang or Camaro currently. Car forums can be great places to get info on whats going on on the other side of town and to form an unbiased opinion.

Example you can read the fanboy/brand loyal views of something on one forum, then see what the other guys are saying and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Plenty of Camaro owners are members over at Mustang6g.com also, including Jim Martin.

It's just about exchange of ideas, if it offends you, you're free to move along.
WHAT? WHAT’S THIS??? SOMEBODY IS OVER ON M6G POSTING AS ME?

Why I oughta.....

Yeah, I do post over there quite a bit.

And for the record, Idaho is one of the cooler Mustang guys, both over there and over here, so let’s cut him a break.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

Why I oughta.....

And for the record, Idaho is one of the cooler Mustang guys, both over there and over here, so let’s cut him a break.
I did blow your cover pretty wide open didn't I...
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:

Why I oughta.....

Ha, thanks.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 07-29-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Well, I've been on Camaro forums a lot longer than Mustang forums (not camaro6, but others) since I grew up a Chevy/GM guy. Although I haven't posted on those others in years.

I agree with others, it's interesting (and sometimes comical) to see both sides.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 07-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
OH, and how about that 1982 Camaro? Ha. The top dog went 0-60 in 9.4 seconds, and it won MT car of the year:

"Though by modern standards the ‘82 Camaro Z28 is far from quick, we were so blown away by its performance that we named it our 1982 Motor Trend Car of the Year. Our CFI and automatic-equipped Camaro accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 9.4 seconds, finished the quarter mile in 17.10 seconds at 80 mph, and stopped from 60 mph in 149 feet."

The SLE and PP2 both go 60-0 in 94 feet. Wowzers. That Z28 took 7.7 seconds to get from 60 mph to 80 mph. 7.7 seconds after 60 mph in my GT* and it is approaching 120 mph.
17.10 1/4 mile?! Wow.... I feel like that could be done on a bicycle...lol
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
I agree, I like some of the comments from the quality posters like Idaho...others I just put on ignore.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Well, I've been on Camaro forums a lot longer than Mustang forums (not camaro6, but others) since I grew up a Chevy/GM guy. Although I haven't posted on those others in years.

I agree with others, it's interesting (and sometimes comical) to see both sides.
I find that on car forums in general, there are 4 types of posters...
  1. Car Guys (my favorite)
  2. Fanboys (most are ok, some are insufferable)
  3. Trolls (do I really need to?)
  4. Everybody else (the vast majority of people in the forum)
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #13
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:

Why I oughta.....

Agreed.

Quote:
I find that on car forums in general, there are 4 types of posters...
  1. Car Guys (my favorite)
  2. Fanboys (most are ok, some are insufferable)
  3. Trolls (do I really need to?)
  4. Everybody else (the vast majority of people in the forum)
Your thoughts and insight are always appreciated.

Although there is considerably less fanboy attitude here, Camaro6 is likely a tough room to get a positive response for the Mustang.
However, not nearly as tough as it would be to get a favorable opinion about Camaro in Mustang6G.

Personally, I am a fan of all performance cars. I am super stoked to be living in this performance car renaissance and thrilled by the choices that we are presented with because of the competition created by it.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think everyone knows I'm more of a fanboy these days than an enthusiast. For a long time I was a Mustang guy. Probably for about a good 5 or 6 years. The 5th Gen Camaros brought me back to reality. The Coyote S197s were nice. But they just always seemed to lack something. But even back then I was still an enthusiast. I think it all changed for me after I got my 15 GT and all the disappointments I experienced with that car. To me the S550 was just too far behind especially for the times...2015. GM took the 6th Gen Camaro to new heights that the 5th Gen Camaro was not on. The 16 SS was keeping up with the previous ZL1 and Z28. Which says a lot to how far they advanced things. The S550 tho, it was just a S197 with a few new things. It certainly didn't make any leaps or bounds or even a step forward. By the time they did the 18 refresh I was already done with them. If the 18s had come out in 2015 then I probably would think differently. But the 18s was a move out of necessity. GM pushed the 16s farther out of competitiveness and trying to keep improving whereas Ford just slightly nudged the GT because they knew it would sell regardless. Ford then realized that they were really getting destroyed and HAD to up the performance. Otherwise they would have done nothing. And that is what I dislike about them.

Anyway, sound-wise yea the Mustang sounds better. Not by a landslide. I wouldn't say the Camaro sounds bad in comparison. The SS still sounds really good. The GT just sounds a little better. Throw an aftermarket exhaust on both and the SS takes the crown. You'll get virtually no drone from a Camaro with an aftermarket exhaust. My 15 GT had drone soo bad it would give me a headache. You could not hear someone on the phone. And a long drive, forget it. You have to pick the right exhaust and then you still might have drone...and it'll cost significantly more than most exhausts. You don't have that problem with the Camaro.

Looks...I'd say it is a tie. It comes down to the ZL1 vs Shelbys and I think the ZL1 front is killer. Tho not by much. The ZL1 does not make the Shelby look bad. It just looks better.

Everything else...performance, quality, durability, etc...GM has got the game in a vice grip. I honestly do not think the American market is much competition for what GM is putting out right now. And I think it will take a long time for anyone to catch up. Especially price per dollar. Dodge might have the market in straight line performance. But that is all they got. And GM is creeping up on them with cars that can not only hang in a straight line but can also corner. I think GM has become the industry standard.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote