Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 10-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
PTP 2.0 Turbo Blanket

Hey everyone! Been a while since I started a thread on here due to my lack of non-car things since moving into a new place with the future ex-wife (ur welcome Kevin).

SO! I just got confirmation that my PTP turbo blanket is being processed!!!

Wooo!!!

So brief synopsis of why I am excited. First, I ordered a universal TD04 blanket from Thermal Zero and although the quality was good, it really didn't fit well or insulated the exhaust housing very well. It was a flat universal so basically it was like lighting a fire in a barrel with both ends cut out and expecting some legit heat reduction. It was cheap and I never really used it more than a couple drives. Second, I placed an order for a direct fit model, and that fell through... we will leave it at that.

So now! PTP has come out with a LTG turbo specific blanket. The design avoids the actuator arm where the universal flat one got stuffed under it. I didn't like that. The PTP blanket is rated to 1800f direct / 2500f radiant heat. The wool is rated to 1832f Continuous / 2300f Peak heat.

Their website claims a 60% reduction in ambient temps under the hood. I am going to say that is probably embellished a bit, but it seems to "wrap" the exhaust housing efficiently as I have seen.

I am very excited to welcome PTP to team Whiskeyfed to keep the engine bay nice and

https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/col...-turbo-blanket

Price is $249.95

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Jason already got one and wasn't that impressed with it from what I understand. I'm sure he will chime in on it. Please let us know what your thoughts are on it.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 10-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #3
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Jason already got one and wasn't that impressed with it from what I understand. I'm sure he will chime in on it. Please let us know what your thoughts are on it.
It has to be better than nothing. Not sure what I am allowed to disclose on his behalf so I'll let him comment if he wants, but I don't think anyone has tested it yet. Idk if Jason has or not. If someone has tested it, I haven't seen any reviews or opinions of the sort.

However, I think that the 2.0 performance market is so small that it leads me to believe that they wouldn't just make a crappy $250 blanket for shits and giggles, because a couple people wanted it.

Ill leave it to the review when I get it and install it.

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Interested in what you have to say about this whiskeyfed , please keep us posted.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
I looked at this one a while back, because the price it seemed more affordable. The other one i found was that very expensive one and no thanks lol. I had not had a chance to get it yet, but if someone on the board has it would love to hear about it
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I've had mine sitting in the box behind my seat for almost over a month now. I'm so damn lazy.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
^ put it on. get one of those temperature measuring things and let us know how it works lol.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #8
Start The Machine

Anyone looking to by this, use the code PTP10DEAL to receive 10% off your order.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #9
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Just received (2) Amazon $30 T3 blankets today for my TT C5 build. Bought them because I figured they were so cheap it was worth a shot......easy to return, and better than spending ~$350 on a pair of DEI onyx blankets.

Gotta say I’m actually stoked for them. Quality is above their price point, and they will function just fine.
Attached Images

ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Damn, that's beautiful!
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #11
whiskeyfed
Pat

Hi all!

That C5 build looks insane!!!!

I just received my PTP blanket in the mail. SUPER fast shipping. I also just got my laser heat gun as well so I can do some comparison. Unfortunately I JUST got back from drag racing where it would have came in handy for a before test.

I took some preliminary pictures and even just from the feel in the package, I like it more than the flat universal one I tried before. I imagine installing this with the turbo on the car is going to be tricky, but possible.

I will do my best to get a video on YouTube at some point with unwrapping, heat testing and install.

Ninetres, I messaged PTP and Thermal Zero a while ago about fitment of the TD04 blanket on our turbo. They said because of the actuator arm, etc. that the "turbo model specific" (TD04) blanket would not work on our cars.

Im looking forward to getting this installed. I apologize in advance if the pictures are huge and sideways
Attached Images

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 10-29-2018, 12:29 AM   #12
Start The Machine

Any updates on this thing???
Old 10-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Any updates on this thing???
Not yet. Haven't had much time lately. My plan is to get this installed this weekend. I am going to get some heat readings of the engine bay today after my drive home from work for comparison.

I hope that it is not super difficult to install with the turbo on the car. I promise I will update ASAP.

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 11-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
Start The Machine

I got an email response back from PTP regarding the installation for our particular car and they said you do not need to remove the turbo to install the blanket.