Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
samwisemueller

Drives: 2015 Z06, 2017 1LE (possibly)
OMP seats in 2017 SS 1LE

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here. I had a few people asking about the seats in my 6th gen.

I used Brey Krause adapers part # 9170 and 9171 with sub strap bar #9172 for both sides.

http://www.bkauto.com/R_9170_2016_6t...r_p/r-9170.htm

The Brey Krause side mounts suggested for use with OMP seats were a bit too low and too far back even in the most forward position, especially with respect to the geometry of the sub strap for the driver's side, so I ended up getting a set of OMP 36 hole tall mounts to make sure I had plenty of options. I ended up using the BK side mounts for the passenger side which puts the passenger pretty low in the car.

I imagine using sliders would raise it up to a pretty comfortable height (I'm 5'10") but I didn't want to dump $ into parts that I couldn't confirm would work, it seemed like the product page for these suggested OMP seats would only work for a fixed mount setup, which is what I wanted.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/im.../OMP-HC923.JPG

I still had to drill the bases and because they weren't specific to the brey krause mounts, I had to orient them both the same direction to fit onto the bases, this causes the seat to be tight to the center tunnel, but once I got driving I got used to it fairly quickly.

I also had to add some stacked washers and longer bolts to the rear where the seats bolt in, the floor of the car has lots of lumps and places where wires run under it and it was causing the adapter to bent around and not make good contact with the floor. I snapped a pick showing the stacked washers, I'd say I added 1/4" of washers to take up the slack. This does cause the locating pins to not sit into the floor.

The stock seat belt buckles and side mount for the stock belts mount directly into the

Hope this is helpful, I'll definitely be making adjustments next season the the seat position, but I was very happy with it for the last 2 events of the year that I used them on.

Oh, and the roll bar is from RPM and the rear seat delete is from schrader performance. The harnesses I'd recommend are the OMP 805 HLPF, these have an adjustable location for the lap belt mechanism and are a 2" lap webbing. I got a less expensive OMP hraness initially with 3" lap webbing and a non-adjustable tightening mechanism and it would hit the lap belt holes on the seat and cause you to be unable to tighten the belts properly.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Do you have pics of the seats finished install in the car?
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
samwisemueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
Do you have pics of the seats finished install in the car?
Only a few, here is the best one.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
With all the re-work on your part, it sounds like yet another half-baked aftermarket "solution".

+1 finished setup pics, and also what seat model? How are you anchoring the lap belts, at seat mounts? Also, it sounds like the seat is long longer centered, yes?

*edit*. Holy crap those sit low in the cabin. Can you even see out?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
samwisemueller

Seats are OMP WRC-R. The lap belts anchor to mounts that bolt into the sides of the adapter plate, the link to the product has a few pics showing the clip in points.

The driver's seat is not centered with this setup, it sits about 1" to the right, which felt weird at first but I got used to it. Makes it tight for using the stock 3 points and trying to get the belt buckled, but I didn't street it much with these seats.

The passenger seat is very low and very hard to see out of. The driver's seat is a good bit lower than stock, but was pretty good for on track, probably a good 1.5"+ higher than the passenger seat. I meant to take side by side pics, but was trying to get everything swapped yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
With all the re-work on your part, it sounds like yet another half-baked aftermarket "solution".

+1 finished setup pics, and also what seat model? How are you anchoring the lap belts, at seat mounts? Also, it sounds like the seat is long longer centered, yes?

*edit*. Holy crap those sit low in the cabin. Can you even see out?
Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Seat looks way low still. So the brey kraus plates were even lower and further back??

Sounds like Brey Kraus needs to make the proper mounting brackets that are twice as tall and more forward. Im 5'11 so it sounds like these wont work for me either.

The fact you had to mount the seats like that is just silly. I cant believe no ones makes a proper solution for these cars.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Seem low but look good and functional. How much do they weight?

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #8
Roasted7

Drives: 2016 2SS
How did you deal with the airbags and power mirrors?
Roasted7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted7 View Post
How did you deal with the airbags and power mirrors?
+1
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Curious about the seat airbags as well
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #11
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
There is no solution for it. It's not live the C6 or C5 vette where it a just a resistor. There are sensors for seat position and pressure pad for passenger. You would have to adapt that into the new seats. Also when that light is on, the entire system is inop. Not just the bags that are not plugged in.
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
samwisemueller

I think WhiteNight is correct, I didn't do anything for the airbags or seat belt sensors. The car would give a warning in the MFI display which I'd dismiss and then the airbag light would stay on. It didn't give a separate warning for seat belts or a chime reminder that the seat belt wasn't buckled. I don't know what you mean about the side mirrors, they worked fine and were not affected by the swap.

I did buy some resistors and was going to mess with the system, but everything runs through the main seat harness connector under the seat and I didn't want to chase wires or buy an electrical diagram. Other than no airbags while the seats were in, I didn't notice any adverse affects.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNight View Post
There is no solution for it. It's not live the C6 or C5 vette where it a just a resistor. There are sensors for seat position and pressure pad for passenger. You would have to adapt that into the new seats. Also when that light is on, the entire system is inop. Not just the bags that are not plugged in.
This is 100% incorrect on the 6th gen. Every bag that can deploy, will deploy in the event of a major wreck and we've seen it more than once on track. Please stop spreading misinformation.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #14
breadwoman

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
This is 100% incorrect on the 6th gen. Every bag that can deploy, will deploy in the event of a major wreck and we've seen it more than once on track. Please stop spreading misinformation.
So even with the airbag light on, the other airbags will still deploy in the event of a crash?

So everyone's been fussing over nothing all this time.
breadwoman is offline   Reply With Quote