Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
miketan

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkircher View Post
I'm still having issues with this. Taking it back in tomorrow.
I got this fixed! I actually even live in the same area. Pardon my French but f**k freeway. They wouldn't even acknowledge the problem for the longest time even with videos showing it.

I went to Earnhardt (not a fan of their sales but their service is great). Make an appointment with a tech named Aaron and he should be familiar as we went through the same thing and he was able to figure it out (bad battery cable was my fix). 100% of the time I was given a rental so I wouldn't need a shuttle or wait around...freeway refused to give me one because they magically never had any available.

Side note. Things they attempted were: removing the alarm as the BCM uses the same ground, regrounding all the BCM and head unit grounds, drove around with a pc hooked up (needle jump does not show up in the computer so it is purely instrumental which makes sense since the engine doesn't rev), and finally replacement of the battery harness. Interestingly I was eventually able to reproduce the issue at will by pulling up on my window switches with closed windows.

Last edited by miketan; 10-26-2017 at 02:11 PM.
miketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #16
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketan View Post
I got this fixed! I actually even live in the same area. Pardon my French but f**k freeway. They wouldn't even acknowledge the problem for the longest time even with videos showing it.

I went to Earnhardt (not a fan of their sales but their service is great). Make an appointment with a tech named Aaron and he should be familiar as we went through the same thing and he was able to figure it out (bad battery cable was my fix). 100% of the time I was given a rental so I wouldn't need a shuttle or wait around...freeway refused to give me one because they magically never had any available.

Side note. Things they attempted were: removing the alarm as the BCM uses the same ground, regrounding all the BCM and head unit grounds, drove around with a pc hooked up (needle jump does not show up in the computer so it is purely instrumental which makes sense since the engine doesn't rev), and finally replacement of the battery harness. Interestingly I was eventually able to reproduce the issue at will by pulling up on my window switches with closed windows.
When you say battery harness you mean the entire cable that is running along the trunk to the fuse box in front? My car has a blower, don't want to pull up with that plus I'd rather do the work myself.
// 3M/Gotch Design Sponsored Gloss Deep Space Colorshift Wrap //
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #17
miketan

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
When you say battery harness you mean the entire cable that is running along the trunk to the fuse box in front? My car has a blower, don't want to pull up with that plus I'd rather do the work myself.
I believe that is the one... I can try to dig up the service record this week (I think I left it at work).
Old 10-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #18
kkuldanji7982

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 1SS
Quote:
Weird update regarding this... So i let my car sit while I was out of state.. When i came back my battery was consistently in the middle whereas before it was always a bit lower but still within the outlined range... Ever since then it hasn't happened even though the outside temps have been sort of high. It's only been 2 days so I'll keep my eye on it.
Update on this: So turns out this is only temporary. My needle jumped yesterday for the first time since recharging the battery. Looks like I will have to go to the dealership to get this fixed permanently.
kkuldanji7982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #19
miketan

Quote:
Both pos and neg were replaced that run to the starter solenoid.
https://imgur.com/a/n44eK
Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
bkircher

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Garnett Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketan View Post

Hey man!! Thanks for your reply, I used to go to chapman, I swear every time I would take it to them to fix something, they would mess something else up. They didn't even give me the closing paperwork saying and documenting what they did to my car, that got old real quick. A friend of mine referred me to this tech at freeway, Chris Esquire, he's been great, at first they didn't want to acknowledge the issue, but when I keep persisting and sending him video evidence of the issue, they finally did and started to fix the issue. The first time I took it in, they tightened all the grounds, and also added a washer around a certain area of the appropriate ground. That lasted about 3 days, took it back, they got GM on the phone and had them remotely link up to my cars on board computers to see where the problem is potentially coming from, one of the ground wires was bad, and causing high resistance on the side of the engine casing I believe, so they replaced the grounding cable with a new one. So far, I have not had an issue with the car.

I'm super happy with Chris at freeway, he gave me his work cell and is super fast to respond if I have any questions or ask about updates to the car.

Side note, they are replacing my exhaust again because of the dam npp rattle, and also replaced my right passenger rear speaker because it was farting, also replaced the casing around the speaker too.
bkircher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #21
miketan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkircher View Post
Hey man!! Thanks for your reply, I used to go to chapman, I swear every time I would take it to them to fix something, they would mess something else up. They didn't even give me the closing paperwork saying and documenting what they did to my car, that got old real quick. A friend of mine referred me to this tech at freeway, Chris Esquire, he's been great, at first they didn't want to acknowledge the issue, but when I keep persisting and sending him video evidence of the issue, they finally did and started to fix the issue. The first time I took it in, they tightened all the grounds, and also added a washer around a certain area of the appropriate ground. That lasted about 3 days, took it back, they got GM on the phone and had them remotely link up to my cars on board computers to see where the problem is potentially coming from, one of the ground wires was bad, and causing high resistance on the side of the engine casing I believe, so they replaced the grounding cable with a new one. So far, I have not had an issue with the car.

I'm super happy with Chris at freeway, he gave me his work cell and is super fast to respond if I have any questions or ask about updates to the car.

Side note, they are replacing my exhaust again because of the dam npp rattle, and also replaced my right passenger rear speaker because it was farting, also replaced the casing around the speaker too.
I guess it was just the advisors I have seen (Craig and Scott). They made 4 attempts to fix the mirror whistle and gave up and suddenly could not hear or reproduce it, they said the differential groan was normal and would not do anything, would not acknowledge the tach bounce, would not acknowledge that my settings dissappeared, told me android auto is not available on my car because I "have apple car play", wouldn't acknowledge my npp rattle, gave me an attitude when I did my free oil change early (1500), and just were generally asshats towards me for taking it in all the time. They also only were able to give me a shuttle ride even when I ask for a loaner because I got tired of dealing with a shuttle.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #22
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Thought I was the only one having this issue.

Background, 2016 Camaro 2SS convertible with A8 auto. Tach needle bounces around randomly at idle (just like in the video), or coming to a stop, sometimes just cruising in traffic. What is worse is I have caught the tach on the HUD doing it to, so I suspect it is not a gauge issue but a sensor issue. Guess it is off to the dealer then before the warranty goes out in Oct. (but good thing I bought the extended).

Side note, had something similar happen in my 1988 Beretta GT (first car I ever bought). It had the digital dash option, and would randomly light up the entire dash, then go dark. Dealer ended up replacing dash before learning it was the primitive ECM acting up.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #23
bkircher

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Garnett Red
I am still having issues with my tach needle jumping uncontrollably. I just had it in the shop at freeway Chevy for two weeks and they were told how to fix it from the Chevy tach team, and they performed the fix, and they said it was no longer jumping, so I picked it up, and pretty much the second I drove off the lot, it started jumping again. My contact in the service department is Lonny, and I sent him a video within 30 minutes of me leaving and he didn't have words to explain why the issue still persists. I honestly am at my wit's end with this issue and this car as a whole, I've had nothing but issues with the car and I'm pretty sure that the car has been in the shop longer than I have owned it. This is/was the 4th/5th attempt at fixing the tach needle and still are no closer to the issue being resolved.

I've also had 4 completely brand new exhaust systems put in my car due to them breaking after 6 months of use. I've only owned the car for 2 years, I've been in contact with Chevy corporate and my advisor there has been nothing but fantastic, but, this is ridiculous. They even gave me a comprehensive component letter to help compensate me for my troubles, but taking it to a dealer and them having it for two weeks and then saying the problem has been fixed, and it not even being close to being fixed the second I get it back, for me was the last straw. I have officially asked for physical compensation for my troubles and am pushing for a heavily discounted 2020 Corvette at this point.
bkircher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #24
BOSE ZO

Drives: 2018 CHEVROLET Camaro LS LGX/TR3160
I've developed a Speedometer bounce issue myself...Usually starts to happen when I'm on it for a while, like at 5000-6000+ rpm, right after a shift. The scanner shows my speed is changing, tried a new speed sensor, no good... Not sure where to go with this... It does affect my cruise control as well... otherwise everything seems to operate as it should. Any thoughts? Thanks!
ig: rapidtransit
BOSE ZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:30 PM   #25
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE ZO View Post
I've developed a Speedometer bounce issue myself...Usually starts to happen when I'm on it for a while, like at 5000-6000+ rpm, right after a shift. The scanner shows my speed is changing, tried a new speed sensor, no good... Not sure where to go with this... It does affect my cruise control as well... otherwise everything seems to operate as it should. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Check out my thread on fixing the hot start slow crank issue by adding a engine to body ground cable. Some people have reported that the additional cable not only fixed the slow crank but also eliminated the bouncing tach issue.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586153

Its worth a shot as its cheap and easy to do. Good luck and if you add the ground cable please report back in my thread as I want to keep that thread alive to help as many people as possible.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:11 PM   #26
BOSE ZO

Acknowledged, thank you. I will. I seem to be the only one with a Speedo issue... I don't know how related this is to the tach issue but I'm willing to try. I've had this car since new and it all started happening around 40k miles..... Shutting the engine down and restarting clears the problem.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #27
BOSE ZO

So the grounding cable is too short for to reach the V6, I obtained a 24" 4 ga cable from the parts store. Unfortunately, is hasn't fixed my issue, but the engine does turn over a little quicker, so some points there...

My speedo goes crazy only if I get on it hard, normal driving its fine all day long, coming to a stop and shutting the engine down and restarting makes it all go away. I will say that cruising at highway speed and revving it up in neutral doesn't cause the problem, tis only when I'm in gear...I plan on probing the wires this weekend... I just don't think I'll find anything wrong there... I would almost think I have an issue with the reluctor in the transmission, but even that seems far fetched...
Old 08-23-2021, 11:38 PM   #28
Junior2377

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Been having the same issue. Going to bring it in once the weather starts to change and I won’t be driving it anyway.
Junior2377 is offline   Reply With Quote