Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #29
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile

If you would care to try them I can send you the .stl files for these versions.
They are designed to fit into a 30mm hole and would either be RTV'd into place (ribbed version) or use silicone 25mm ID x 3mm cross section o-rings to provide seals and to retain them.

And I can put artwork or text on either version as shown if you like.
On the V6 cars they would be hidden from view so there was no point to doing that.
But on the V8 cars they appear to remain in plain sight, so it might make sense.

I am still curious if the earlier versions (two part) will fit though.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #30
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Drives: '18 Camaro 1SS 1LE, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
If you would care to try them I can send you the .stl files for these versions.
They are designed to fit into a 30mm hole and would either be RTV'd into place (ribbed version) or use silicone 25mm ID x 3mm cross section o-rings to provide seals and to retain them.

And I can put artwork or text on either version as shown if you like.
On the V6 cars they would be hidden from view so there was no point to doing that.
But on the V8 cars they appear to remain in plain sight, so it might make sense.

I am still curious if the earlier versions (two part) will fit though.
That's brilliant! PM sent.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #31
DIYguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0Tex View Post
That's brilliant! PM sent.
I am having email problems at the moment, so here are the files for the version we discussed.
Please let me know what happens.
Attached Files
File Type: zip IntakePlugs.zip (824.0 KB, 175 views)
Old 04-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #32
Opus13
Opus13

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Black
The 2 bolts that hold that little diaphragm looking thing, are they necessary and do they need do be reinstalled or replaced? Also, what size Torx bit is used to remove them?
Opus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:31 PM   #33
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
they were T50. they dont need to be reinstalled.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #34
DIYguy

Smile

They do not appear to have any purpose other than to hold on the sound tube diaphragm (see below).
Also, in the service manual this image came from there is no mention of having to drain anything when removing them.
So my guess is that they can be removed and left off the car.

I do not have a V8 in my car and there is no mention of the bit size in the manual.
Perhaps someone else who has a V8 can tell you.

Aha, JCunningham's reply came in just as mine did...... Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #35
Opus13
Opus13

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Black
Thank you, this place is awesome.
Opus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:57 PM   #36
JCunningham

on the 17 they are T50. GM has been known to use whatever they have as long as it works. most likely yours will be T50
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 04-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #37
DIYguy

Z0Tex has told me that the original version of the 30mm plugs are too big to fit a V8 intake pipe orifice.
30mm is the correct size for V6 intakes though.
I will re-design them once I receive measurements and then post the corrected versions.
I found an older thread that mentioned 15/16" (23.8mm) as possibly being the proper size but that needs confirmation.

Thanks very much for testing them Sean, I appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #38
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Drives: '18 Camaro 1SS 1LE, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
on the 17 they are T50. GM has been known to use whatever they have as long as it works. most likely yours will be T50
Can confirm that the bolts in question are a T50 on a 2018 SS (1LE, but should be the same for all SS trims).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
Z0Tex has told me that the original version of the 30mm plugs are too big to fit a V8 intake pipe orifice.
30mm is the correct size for V6 intakes though.
I will re-design them once I receive measurements and then post the corrected versions.
I found an older thread that mentioned 15/16" (23.8mm) as possibly being the proper size but that needs confirmation.

Thanks very much for testing them Sean, I appreciate it.
No problem! This was a fun experience getting to test fit these parts and find a combination that works!

Copied over from the "What did you do to your Camaro today" thread...

Deleted my sound tube with a custom 3D-printed intake plug and firewall plug set. Designed by DIYGuy here on Camaro6 (files will be available on thingaverse soon for V6 and V8 cars). Friend of mine at work printed the parts in ABS for me. Excellent fitment and the bowtie on the intake plug is a nice touch!

Here are the final iterations of the intake plug for the SS models. I used the one on the left that has the flare that more closely copies the factory sound tube plug. A bead of black RTV up under the cap and around the flare has held the plug in quite securely and there are no leaks. I was able to reuse the factory flared nut to hold the firewall plug in place. The only thing you have to add to the firewall plug is a portion of 1/8" foam tape (pipe wrap tape) to make help make a good seal to the firewall. My pre-installation photos of the completed firewall plug seem to have gone missing...

Also, make sure you print these parts in ABS plastic! The more common PLA material, while it is considerably cheaper and easier on printers, is not strong enough to hold up to the temperatures that it will face under the hood of the car. The parts need to be printed in a material that has a higher heat resistance.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #39
DIYguy

Thanks again for testing these and for providing the dimensions for the SS model.
Very much appreciated.

The files are now posted on Thingiverse at-
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3267691

However, for your convenience I am including them here (all versions).

I made additional versions without the logos if anyone prefers more of a stealth look.
Attached Files
File Type: zip V8 intake plugs.zip (2.61 MB, 146 views)

Last edited by DIYguy; 05-03-2019 at 09:13 AM.
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #40
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Drives: Volt gen2, Colorado V6, soonCamaro
Hi all, I just test drove an LGX V6 Camaro yesterday. Wow, what a car! I loved the handling and performance and would have bought it on the spot, but unfortunately I have hyperacusis, which is a sensitivity to sounds. It makes normal sounds loud and painful. So as you can imagine, the moment I revved it over 3500rpm at WOT I could tell it would be an issue. It is just far too loud for someone with my hearing problems.

Normally I treat my cars with sound deadening materials to damp road noise, but it only does so much for engine noise coming through the firewall. My hope is that if sound tube removal significantly drops the engine noise level then combined with sound damping materials I'll have it sounding like a Lexus inside - or at least a Cadillac.

Of course the salesman wouldn't let me remove the sound tube for a test drive, lol. Maybe if I could get an hour test drive with it alone, but I figure I may as well ask here before I go and tinker with a new car on the sly.

Can anyone comment as to how much quieter their Camaro is after a sound tube delete? Is there actually a reduction in noise level or is it only a change in the quality of the sound? Thanks for any insights you all may have.
AlphaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #41
JCunningham

i noticed no difference after removing the sound tube. if you are going to get a Camaro id get a SS not a v6. Or test drive an Impala V6. with alot of heavy sound deadening the car should be quiet but you probably already know unless you do it yourself its going to cost thousands to gut the car.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #42
Yanniz

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i noticed no difference after removing the sound tube. if you are going to get a Camaro id get a SS not a v6. Or test drive an Impala V6. with alot of heavy sound deadening the car should be quiet but you probably already know unless you do it yourself its going to cost thousands to gut the car.
Wait, he thought he couldn’t handle the V6 sound and you’re suggesting he buys an SS?

Is the SS quieter than the V6 above 3K rpm, what am I missing?
Yanniz is offline   Reply With Quote