Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Kyleef210

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Electrical Issue.. PLEASE HELP!

So I've brought the car to the dealership for this once and to a different mechanic once as well. However, no one has been able to solve this issue I have been having. Whenever the car gets wet or specifically when I am driving through the rain the car has some sort of an electrical heart attack. All of my gauges drop to 0 on my display, the AC stops working and occasionally when the car gets wet my left taillight's day time running light will stop working. When this happens the cars system will reboot and the gauges will resume working but it happens quite often as I live in Florida. Any help or guidance on this problem would be helpful. My initial thoughts is maybe there is a bad wire or short somewhere in the system but it is difficult to isolate this issue. I will attach some videos so you can see what I am talking about. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qz...8T_ktF8AyxJeV9

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TK...nE7dhBKCbOeI5V
Kyleef210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Have you checked your grounds? Fusebox? Hopefully its something as simple as that. If I can think of anything else Ill update this post.

PS: Ive heard of cars electronics behaving erratically in wet weather due to ignition coils. Check there also.

As for tracking the issue down, you may be able to localize it with a garden hose.

With your car on, lightly spray water up from underneath the car while someone sits inside watching the gauges. Go from section to section on the car, front to back, side to side, slowly. When the culprit becomes wet, you can get a better idea of where the problem is.

Hopefully, that helps. Electrical issues can be a nightmare. Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
Kyleef210

When the car was with a mechanic and at the dealership all grounds were inspected and in working order so I don't believe it is a grounds issue unfortunately it couldn't be that easy haha. Fusebox in engine bay looks good as well. Haven't checked the one in the rear though.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleef210 View Post
So I've brought the car to the dealership for this once and to a different mechanic once as well. However, no one has been able to solve this issue I have been having. Whenever the car gets wet or specifically when I am driving through the rain the car has some sort of an electrical heart attack. All of my gauges drop to 0 on my display, the AC stops working and occasionally when the car gets wet my left taillight's day time running light will stop working. When this happens the cars system will reboot and the gauges will resume working but it happens quite often as I live in Florida. Any help or guidance on this problem would be helpful. My initial thoughts is maybe there is a bad wire or short somewhere in the system but it is difficult to isolate this issue. I will attach some videos so you can see what I am talking about. Thank you!

I would check for any wire/harness chafing in the wheel wells engine compartment and near any body/frame attach points.

If the car has headers that’s also a place to look. Good luck!
Sweptwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
Kyleef210

when the car was at the dealership they said they had found some places where the wiring harness was rubbing against the engine causing friction. They proceeded to cover these places with a rubber coating to prevent and solve the issue. no headers on the car as of right now. I also inspected the wiring harness behind the driver side rear wheel well as highlighted to cause issues from rubbing explained in Lethal Camaro's video but nothing was wrong.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
Kyleef210

Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
Cechk01

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
check for water in the trunk, there are a lot of electronics in what would be the spare tire area. I've read of rain water getting in there from a leak in the trunk lid gasket
Cechk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:37 AM   #8
HWG

Drives: 2018 SS Convertible
Quote:

did you have any luck on a fix ...mine just started the very same thing after a car wash ? mine is an 18 convertible
HWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
Kyleef210

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWG View Post
did you have any luck on a fix ...mine just started the very same thing after a car wash ? mine is an 18 convertible

No luck yet. Thankfully it hasn’t rained
Old 10-20-2019, 03:56 AM   #10
ItsfastAFSS

Drives: 2016 2SS
HEY MAN NOT SURE IF THIS WELL HELP YOU BUT I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM AFTER MULTIPLE VISITS TO THE DEALER AND NO FIX I TOOK IT UPON MYSELF TO DO A BIT OF DIGGING THE DEALER QUOTED ME 5600 TO FIX MY SO-CALLED ISSUE DUE TO ME BEING OUT OF WARRANTY SO THE SOLUTION I FOUND IS A NEW GEL BATTERY WITH 760 CCA STOCK BATTERY NORMALLY HAS 700 CCA ON THE 1SS I OWN A 2SS AND WHEN I LOOKED UP SPECS STATED I NEEDED A 760CCA BATTERY SOUND STRANGE I KNOW CHECKED MY BAT AND IT WAS 700CCA TOOK A GAMBLE AND BOUGHT THE NEW BATTERY AND IM GLAD TO SAY NO MORE ISSUES NOT A SINGLE ONE. HOPE THIS HELPS MAN ALSO CHECK TRUCK FLOOR TO MAKE SURE NO WATER IS GETTING IN SAW A FEW OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THAT ISSUE AND IT CAUSED THE SAME REACTION WE HAD....ON ANOTHER NOT DONT TRUST DEALER THEY UNPLUGGED MULTIPLE THINGS ON MY CAR TO MAKE ME THINK MY CAR WAS FAILING FOUND THIS OUT AS I WAS RUNNING THREW THE CAR TO SEE IF I COULD FIND THE ISSUE ENDED UP JUST BEING THE BATT ALSO IF YOU GO TO ANY AUTOPART STORE AND GIVE THEM YOUR CARS INFO THEY WILL JUST HAND YOU THE 700CCA BAT I BOUGHT MINE AT ORILEYS PART # 48PLT ONCE AGAIN I HOPE THIS HELPS
ItsfastAFSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:55 PM   #11
Josephnahi

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
No luck yet. Thankfully it hasn’t rained
U fix that bc i have the same problem when my lights is on my car going crazy
Josephnahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #12
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
Check the wire harness in the engine bay.
I've read about this topic in the european forum:
https://www.camaro2010.de/t26540f146...kabelbaum.html

There are some very rare cases with broken insulations of the wire harness in the engine bay. When it rains, the wires get wet and by this you have shortcuts and electrical disturbances.

For model year 2018 there were changes made on the engine bay wire harness.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:06 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The first thing you should do when asking about an electrical problem is to tell us what mods have been made to the car. And that would include mechanical as well as electrical work.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#camaross, #electricalhelp, #problem