Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 08-31-2019, 08:37 AM   #43
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1LE View Post
So if a 19 ZLE is willing to give up the Onstar buttons, your kit can be installed to add homelink?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #44
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
I never have understood why folks use the homelink buttons. I prefer to clip the garage door opener to my visor, so I can remove it when I take my car in for service. It's above my sight line, unobtrusive...perfect. And no one can open my garage door but me!

What am I missing?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #45
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I never have understood why folks use the homelink buttons. I prefer to clip the garage door opener to my visor, so I can remove it when I take my car in for service. It's above my sight line, unobtrusive...perfect. And no one can open my garage door but me!

What am I missing?
So you're worried someone from the dealership is going to drive your car over to your house to open the garage door.. I'm thinking your car is at the dealership way too much

No idea why anyone wouldn't use the homelink buttons if they are available. If not, hang a control like I have done now.

I even used them to open and close valves on my 5th Gen mild to wild.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:45 PM   #46
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #47
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

What am I missing?
It's the difference between having functionality integrated using a consistent design and implementation vs clipping on an extra device from a random manufacturer, the rough electronic equivalent of duct taping some crap to the car. Makes no difference to many, means a whole lot to others. We aren't all alike

This, by the way, is the same reason why some are willing to sacrifice a bit of waze/google quality and use the built-in navigation system that integrates nicely with the cluster and the HUD. In general, I for one only go for aftermarket solutions when there is no feasible OEM one or it's a POS in comparison---the delta must be really large not to be offset by OEM preference.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:46 PM   #48
bcasurvey1

Drives: 2019 White ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
It's the difference between having functionality integrated using a consistent design and implementation vs clipping on an extra device from a random manufacturer, the rough electronic equivalent of duct taping some crap to the car. Makes no difference to many, means a whole lot to others. We aren't all alike

This, by the way, is the same reason why some are willing to sacrifice a bit of waze/google quality and use the built-in navigation system that integrates nicely with the cluster and the HUD. In general, I for one only go for aftermarket solutions when there is no feasible OEM one or it's a POS in comparison---the delta must be really large not to be offset by OEM preference.
what he said!!!!!!!!!!!
bcasurvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:55 PM   #49
bcasurvey1

Drives: 2019 White ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2018_ZL1 View Post
The problem is they moved Constar from the mirror to the overhead console so it took the spot the HomeLink did. IF you have a car that does not have the rear camera in the mirror you could add home link with the purchase of an 8 overhead console. There could be the possibility of needing to add power for it.

They also make after market home link kits. I have installed those before. Otherwise what I did was buy a wifi garage opener and I use my phone if I am in a car that doesn't have it or you can also set up a Siri shortcut to open the garage also. I like the WIFI opener because I am forgetful if I closed my garage sometimes and can easily check if I did. Its able to be added to any opener and its about $50 on amazon and ebay. Made by Chamberlin

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-...gateway&sr=8-4
im sold thanks for the tip, i dont need another button floating around to get lost or broken...
bcasurvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #50
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
So you're worried someone from the dealership is going to drive your car over to your house to open the garage door.. I'm thinking your car is at the dealership way too much

No idea why anyone wouldn't use the homelink buttons if they are available. If not, hang a control like I have done now.

I even used them to open and close valves on my 5th Gen mild to wild.
Nope...I'd be very surprised if anyone from the dealership actually drove to my address and opened my garage. And if they did, there's nothing in my garage that I need more than they do--if they go to all that trouble. My car is almost never in the shop at the dealership anyway...but i think it's just prudent to take my garage door opener out of the car whenever serviced (oil changes, etc.). Peace of mind and "keeping honest people honest..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

I understand (and respect) this way of thinking, but don't feel the same way. I purposely ordered my car without the NAV system because I am not willing to compromise on GPS accuracy and Waze/Google Maps via Android Auto (for me) provide the navigation experience I expect (I'm a retired USAF navigator, so a bit of a big deal to me!). Clipping the garage door opener to my visor works well for me. I tried the home link in my 2010 2SS. It worked, but the range was roughly 2/3 of what my garage door opener has. It was frustrating to have to keep pushing the button as I approached the garage and wonder when it was going to open (usually as my front tires hit the first part of my driveway). I imagine they've improved that experience in the 6th Gen. Juice simply is not worth the squeeze for me to find out.

Glad the home link works for those who want to use it and wish it were still available in the 2019 for those who miss it.

Last edited by PnCRedJwl2SS; 09-03-2019 at 04:21 PM.
PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #51
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I understand (and respect) this way of thinking, but don't feel the same way. I purposely ordered my car without the NAV system because I am not willing to compromise on GPS accuracy and Waze/Google Maps via Android Auto (for me) provide the navigation experience I expect (I'm a retired USAF navigator, so a bit of a big deal to me!). Clipping the garage door opener to my visor works well for me. I tried the home link in my 2010 2SS. It worked, but the range was roughly 2/3 of what my garage door opener has. It was frustrating to have to keep pushing the button as I approached the garage and wonder when it was going to open (usually as my front tires hit the fist part of my driveway). I imagine they've improved that experience in the 6th Gen. Juice simply is not worth the squeeze for me to find out.

Glad the home link works for those who want to use it and wish it were still available in the 2019 for those who miss it.
All good, I completely understand homelink range and GPS accuracy are important enough for you to go non-OEM I regret the loss of choice in 2019+ models, too.

By the way, just to add this info to the thread, homelink in my 2018 6th gen is much stronger than in the 2010 Traverse we had earlier, I can now open our garage doors well before I hit the driveway. Our 2016 Traverse has a similarly enhanced range.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #52
tjward5489

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
You can add back the home link if you want, its hard work but can be done on 19-20 cars, as long as you don't have a sunroof.

Thank you for the order.

We get the power from a different point of the car, have it in our 19 1LE with the new mirror.

So as you know we have some cars, i have a 19 chevy truck with no home link (for now) and use a hand held remote, and it only works from 10 ft in front of the door, my home link works from 150 ft away.
Do you guys have a kit for the '19 models yet? Or at least a write-up on how you did it? I've seen just about every video on your YT channel and never saw the install, just that it was there when you installed the rear view mirror.
tjward5489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #53
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
For those of you who like a separate garage door remote, I have bought several from these guys at the link. I needed to replace the old original 1980s remotes for my garage doors because they were getting flaky and there's none built-in to my Jeep, and I wanted a small one for the motorcycle. They know their stuff; you can ask them what will work with your opener unit.

These guys: https://www.northshorecommercialdoor...s-by-part.html