Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
Staves

Drives: women crazy
How much should you pay for a wax/detail?

EDIT: I've got my answer. Thanks Glen e. So the answer is $20 shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e
Wipe on, wipe off - Meguires hybrid ceramic spray sealant...nothing easier every 90 days...

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-hy...ramic-wax.html
17 months now with my '19 1SS. Never done anything but wash it using the do it yourself wash with the wand and dry myself. Is it time for a wax? And if so, how much should I expect to pay to have it done? The self wash has a wax option to btw, lol.

If it's as easy as wipe on, wipe off, I could do the wax myself. But I don't have anything besides microfiber cloths and have no interest in buying any equipment. I'm not into spending much time detailing the car beyond what I already do (15 min). So will pay if need be.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by Staves; 09-23-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Staves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
paint correction and wax or ? wax you can do yourself but you would have to claybar it first to make it worth while i do all the work on my daily wax/clay twice a year but for my camaro i take it to a pro
Old 09-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
If you are not talking about paint correction there are plenty of spray on ceramic products out there for about $30 a bottle. When talk about detailing it really comes down to you get what you pay for. I just did a full 3 step paint correction and graphene, paint/ C4, trim coating on my Camaro and have 25 hours and just over $200 invested in product.
Attached Images

dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
17 months now with my '19 1SS. Never done anything but wash it using the do it yourself wash with the wand and dry myself. Is it time for a wax? And if so, how much should I expect to pay to have it done? The self wash has a wax option to btw, lol.

If it's as easy as wipe on, wipe off, I could do the wax myself. But I don't have anything besides microfiber cloths and have no interest in buying any equipment. I'm not into spending much time detailing the car beyond what I already do (15 min). So will pay if need be.

Thanks for any input!
I get mine detailed, outside only. They wash, clay bar, wax, and sealant for $195.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Wipe on, wipe off - Meguires hybrid ceramic spray sealant...nothing easier every 90 days...

Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
Staves

Sorry I should have said just wax. I don't even know what "paint correction" means exactly anyway.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I get mine detailed, outside only. They wash, clay bar, wax, and sealant for $195.
Yea, a wash, interior and exterior detail and hard wax plus tip around here is ~$200
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I'll never understand all the fuss. We have 4 vehicles in the house and all are meticulous. We hand wash all of them at least once a week and hand wax them about once a month due to the brutal Florida hot sun and heavy rains. Sometimes once in between with the spray on stuff.

The Camaro is super easy- I can wash and hand wax it in about 45 minutes if I go at a full bore pace. If I take my time about 1.25 hours. By doing it often the wax goes on and off easy. If I wax it with the spray stuff about 20 minutes. I first wash it, shammy it dry, then start hand waxing. I do part of the car at a time- breaking up the hood into 3 or 4 parts, the roof in 2 parts, then each fender, door, etc. I apply the wax and let it dry just until it reaches a haze. I don't let it completely dry as a lot of people do. (It makes it too hard to get it off and it leaves streaks in my opinion). Comes out perfect every time.

Now my GF's short bed regular cab Silverdo takes longer for sure and my Silverado Double Cab the longest. My 1997 Wrangler I can do in 35 minutes.

I have Clay Barred my vehicles too. Also super easy. I remember doing my 2011 SS. Took about 1.5 hours.

I have never had my vehicles waxed or detailed by a service.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

OMG.
Directions for use:
To use, spray directly onto wet vehicle after washing and rinsing. Rinse again, using a strong stream of water. Dry vehicle with a quality microfiber drying towel.
$19

That adds like 5 min to my process.
Done! Thank you!
Old 09-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

Hmmm, I'm a huge Meguires fan... I didn't know they made this product. Guess what I'm going to buy.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I'll never understand all the fuss. We have 4 vehicles in the house and all are meticulous. We hand wash all of them at least once a week and hand wax them about once a month due to the brutal Florida hot sun and heavy rains. Sometimes once in between with the spray on stuff.

The Camaro is super easy- I can wash and hand wax it in about 45 minutes if I go at a full bore pace. If I take my time about 1.25 hours. By doing it often the wax goes on and off easy. If I wax it with the spray stuff about 20 minutes. I first wash it, shammy it dry, then start hand waxing. I do part of the car at a time- breaking up the hood into 3 or 4 parts, the roof in 2 parts, then each fender, door, etc. I apply the wax and let it dry just until it reaches a haze. I don't let it completely dry as a lot of people do. (It makes it too hard to get it off and it leaves streaks in my opinion). Comes out perfect every time.

Now my GF's short bed regular cab Silverdo takes longer for sure and my Silverado Double Cab the longest. My 1997 Wrangler I can do in 35 minutes.

I have Clay Barred my vehicles too. Also super easy. I remember doing my 2011 SS. Took about 1.5 hours.

I'm the complete opposite of you. I have never hand waxed a vehicle, I have always had them professionally detailed. Different strokes for different folks. I have no patience for that.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
OMG.
Directions for use:
To use, spray directly onto wet vehicle after washing and rinsing. Rinse again, using a strong stream of water. Dry vehicle with a quality microfiber drying towel.
$19

That adds like 5 min to my process.
Done! Thank you!
Lasts much longer if you mix it 4-5 to 1 distilled water/Meguires and then just spray and wipe…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #13
Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post

45 min-1.25hrs on a car? That will never happen. I'm out biking and/or running or walking/hiking for 1-3 hours every day. That's enough.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #14
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I am in the process of full paint correction, front end ppf and ceramic on mine. I've gotten estimates for these jobs in the past at around $1500. I've been doing paint correction for a few years and I have about 10 hours into it right now and have only done the roof, deck lid/spoiler and passenger side. I expect another 10-15 hours in paint correction only. To get it done by someone else is very expensive for a reason.