Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-14-2017, 12:26 AM   #1
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Exhaust Pops, crackles and backfires

Will be soon dropping a TON of money into the Maro soon, what setup would you guys recommend that will maximize the crackling and popping we all love? Or at least I love. Haha. I know a secondary cat delete is most likely a must but I’m at a crossroads on what cat/axle back id need for this. Not looking for deafening loud

Last edited by PackersFan26; 11-14-2017 at 12:41 AM.
PackersFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:35 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The “maro”?

Lol
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:40 AM   #3
PackersFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The “maro”?

Lol
Yes. The Maro.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
I would like to come see your car after you get the crackle and pop maximized!
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:18 AM   #5
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan26 View Post
Yes. The Maro.
No!

But if your doing more mods, to where it will require tuning, you will likely lose the cracking/ popping. At least I did and do did the majority of people. Mine still will crackle when it's not fully warmed up

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Exhaust noises like that can come from fouled spark plugs and an engine running too rich. A well tuned and maintained car normally isn't going to make the noises you're after
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
Exhaust noises like that can come from fouled spark plugs and an engine running too rich. A well tuned and maintained car normally isn't going to make the noises you're after
I would agree with you if we were all driving old school carbed engines with distributors and used screwdrivers, dwell meters and timing lights to tune them.

With the engines we run with direct injection and ECU engine management - the crackle and pop is there intentionally from the factory in the tune. Its called Decel Fuel Cut Off (DFCO). It can be turned off in the tune and many owners and/or tuner shops turn off DFCO to make the pop stop. I happen to like the sounds so I'm good with it.

To answer the OP's question - in the tune I don't think you can enhance it as DFCO is either on or off in the tune tables I've seen. Maybe some combination of exhaust changes can make you hear it better. I personally won't waste money on exhaust changes - NPP works great. If you go messing with the exhaust to make it louder you risk creating drone at cruising speeds. I hate drone.

Oh - and I too vote no on "Maro".

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I would agree with you if we were all driving old school carbed engines with distributors and used screwdrivers, dwell meters and timing lights to tune them.

With the engines we run with direct injection and ECU engine management - the crackle and pop is there intentionally from the factory in the tune. Its called Decel Fuel Cut Off (DFCO). It can be turned off in the tune and many owners and/or tuner shops turn off DFCO to make the pop stop. I happen to like the sounds so I'm good with it.

To answer the OP's question - in the tune I don't think you can enhance it as DFCO is either on or off in the tune tables I've seen. Maybe some combination of exhaust changes can make you hear it better. I personally won't waste money on exhaust changes - NPP works great. If you go messing with the exhaust to make it louder you risk creating drone at cruising speeds. I hate drone.

You were close you just got it backwards. Disabling DFCO will cause the noise because its not going dead lean on decel, its maintaining lambda and in turn dumping a bunch of un-burnt fuel into the exhaust.

If you leave it on, it will not crackly as much. If anyone has a WB in their car, at least in an M6, the car goes stupid rich for 1-2 seconds on decel and then straight to dead lean (Into decel, Lambda to .83 for 1-2 seconds then straight off the chart 20.0) I think that's how they are getting the "pops and crackles " you are talking about.

Turn off DFCO all together if you want the noise in excess, car wont engine brake worth a shit though. It can also be tuned based off of upper and lower limits. You can have it off below 2500 and on above etc.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
PackersFan26

Quote:

I’m thinking some secondary cat deletes and a borla atak May be what I’m after. Some guys are running catless and have more crackle and pop than Rice Krispies but here in CA catless isn’t really an option. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:

I had DFCO on on my H/C/I '02 Camaro and very rarely ever had pops coming from my exhaust. It's on from the factory. It cuts fuel so you shouldn't get pops. If you turn it off yeah it will pop more but IMHO that fits in with my bad tune theory because it shouldn't be turned off. It wastes fuel and kills engine breaking
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
I'm running Borla Atak axle back with all my cats still in place and the pops, crackles, and backfires are plentiful. Here in CA so I'm hesitant to remove my cats, may bet rid of the secondary and get an H-pipe setup
Arugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #12
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The “maro”?

Lol
Ha ha reminds me of my teenage nieces who rename everything like that.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #13
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
This is the feature GM gives us that enables those sick a** Sounds from the 6th gen you get when you speed shift, even with the a8s I love the sound of the new 6gens when your racing or letting off throttle in gear at around 2k rpm.
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #14
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Ha ha reminds me of my teenage nieces who rename everything like that.
Yes!! lol I always call my Maro the same.
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote