Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
Need some Advice

I know this post should be in the pricing forum but that place is really dead.

So for the last 2 years, I been searching for a 2017/2018 2SS Auto Trans with specific features with no luck around my area.

However, a few days ago I noticed a used 2018 model with all the features I have been searching for went into market. Its a 2018 model with 27K miles. It is being listed at 38K. Which is really high considering its practically 2+ years old. Realistically how much could the car be sold for a reasonable price? I was hoping I could get it in the low 30K price range.
TheWiseWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
I bought brand new 2019 for less than that.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim2525 View Post
I bought brand new 2019 for less than that.
You stole that car, that's the new price of an LT1 now.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
You have to realize that environment you are buying at right now is very different from 3 years ago, or 3 months ago. There is a massive shortage of used cars right now so used cars are going for a premium. Dealers are having to overpay at auctions and from sellers just to have inventory. I say this as someone who watched the used value of my GT350 go up almost $10K from May until August (and I sold it). And it's like this for Camaro too. I looked at used SS1LE's and cars with 15-20K+ miles are being listed for $38-40K and I bought a brand new 2020 SS1LE one for $43K and change out the door.

So just understand the market is tough right now for used car buyers. I would try to negotiate down as much as you can, but the reality is you may have to wait a few months for the market to stabilize.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
There are deals to be had, you just have to find them. Thill444 is correct in that we are in a very unique situation with the vehicle market. This can be EXCELLENT news regarding trade ins and/or private sales, but obviously may go in the opposite direction on the purchasing side.

I wouldn't limit myself to getting an '18 personally. To my knowledge, the 2016-2018's are very similar, if not identical cars. (I'm unsure if there were any minor improvements made; I'm fairly new to the Camaro world). However, there are quite a few options available for low mileage, great condition cars at great prices compared to what they were new.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
TheWiseWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
You have to realize that environment you are buying at right now is very different from 3 years ago, or 3 months ago. There is a massive shortage of used cars right now so used cars are going for a premium. Dealers are having to overpay at auctions and from sellers just to have inventory. I say this as someone who watched the used value of my GT350 go up almost $10K from May until August (and I sold it). And it's like this for Camaro too. I looked at used SS1LE's and cars with 15-20K+ miles are being listed for $38-40K and I bought a brand new 2020 SS1LE one for $43K and change out the door.

So just understand the market is tough right now for used car buyers. I would try to negotiate down as much as you can, but the reality is you may have to wait a few months for the market to stabilize.
ya I noticed that too, I was wondering why the prices went up. I use to see the 2SS models being priced at 32K early last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
There are deals to be had, you just have to find them. Thill444 is correct in that we are in a very unique situation with the vehicle market. This can be EXCELLENT news regarding trade ins and/or private sales, but obviously may go in the opposite direction on the purchasing side.

I wouldn't limit myself to getting an '18 personally. To my knowledge, the 2016-2018's are very similar, if not identical cars. (I'm unsure if there were any minor improvements made; I'm fairly new to the Camaro world). However, there are quite a few options available for low mileage, great condition cars at great prices compared to what they were new.
I was looking for 2016-2018 models this one just happens to be 2018. I dont like the style of the refresh models that why I am not focused on them. Hmm I wonder if I could sell the car I have now at a higher price before from what you say.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
zaimer

I was looking for 2016-2018 models this one just happens to be 2018. I dont like the style of the refresh models that why I am not focused on them. Hmm I wonder if I could sell the car I have now at a higher price before from what you say.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't care for either of the two "refreshes" after the 2016-2018 models. Its not that they all look bad (I think they can look good in certain colors/trim), but they don't look AS good IMO. The values were the final push that got me into the Camaro. It was basically the car I would spec down to a T. Excellent condition with hardly any miles. Price was right for the SS and I received a crazy trade in value. Obviously, it depends on your vehicle as well..as to what the demand/value is. My trade was a 2019 with 8,300 miles and near pristine condition, as with all of my vehicles.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWolf View Post
ya I noticed that too, I was wondering why the prices went up. I use to see the 2SS models being priced at 32K early last year.

I was looking for 2016-2018 models this one just happens to be 2018. I dont like the style of the refresh models that why I am not focused on them. Hmm I wonder if I could sell the car I have now at a higher price before from what you say.
You can use KBB as a guide. Plug your car in there and it should give you a decent idea on trade-in-value. I think there is wiggle room on that 2018, I would try to get max value on your car and offer about $34-35K on the other one and see what happens.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
jb_camaro_2ss

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Arctic Blue
38K seems high, but the pandemic has caused values to rise quite a bit. My car's trade in value is now higher than what I bought my car for at the end of last year.

I would continue to wait if I were in your position. The perfect deal will eventually come. I searched for several months locally (within a 5 hour drive) before I found what I was looking for, and I ended up having to get the car shipped from across the country. Despite the pandemic, you may have better luck since you are looking for an auto. A decently priced low mileage used 2SS manual with NPP was really hard to find when I was on the hunt for my car.

jb_camaro_2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
Thill444

What specs are you looking for OP?
Old 09-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
TheWiseWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
What specs are you looking for OP?
2016-2018 2SS Auto trans all black but the rims with sunroof.

The one I found is a 2018 model and it literally has all the specs I want, the last time a similar car went on sale was spring of 2019. I actually was on the verge of buying it but it was making a weird noise. I actually posted it here to get peoples opinion. I really want to just be done searching and just get the car at this point and not wait another year for another one similar car. I know I could look nationwide but I'm not comfortable buying a car I wouldn't physically see.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #12
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWolf View Post
2016-2018 2SS Auto trans all black but the rims with sunroof.

The one I found is a 2018 model and it literally has all the specs I want, the last time a similar car went on sale was spring of 2019. I actually was on the verge of buying it but it was making a weird noise. I actually posted it here to get peoples opinion. I really want to just be done searching and just get the car at this point and not wait another year for another one similar car. I know I could look nationwide but I'm not comfortable buying a car I wouldn't physically see.
Make the dealer fix it, if it's not a big issue, they'll gladly fix for a sale... if it's a big issue they won't and stay away.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
TheWiseWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Make the dealer fix it, if it's not a big issue, they'll gladly fix for a sale... if it's a big issue they won't and stay away.
Well it was over a year ago and it was sold a week later after I dropped interest on the car. I told them to fix it but they kept insisting it was "normal"
Old 09-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_Maro_2ss View Post
38K seems high, but the pandemic has caused values to rise quite a bit. My car's trade in value is now higher than what I bought my car for at the end of last year.

I would continue to wait if I were in your position. The perfect deal will eventually come. I searched for several months locally (within a 5 hour drive) before I found what I was looking for, and I ended up having to get the car shipped from across the country. Despite the pandemic, you may have better luck since you are looking for an auto. A decently priced low mileage used 2SS manual with NPP was really hard to find when I was on the hunt for my car.
I agree, I would wait as well. $38K doesn't seem aggressive enough to spark my interest. I also agree that my search for a 2SS, manual, with NPP was difficult (particularly for one in great condition, low mileage, and good price). All of the stars had to align . I drove about 9 hours one way to get my 2SS. Manual wasn't necessarily a deal breaker for me but it is a ~BIG~ bonus. The 2SS, NPP, and great condition were nonnegotiable.