Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #15
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
You can easily copy all you care to carry into your car in a lazy evening so you don't have to fumble with disc changing. Retaining album art and song titles and playback controls, which you lose with aux input.

This thread sounds like a cry for help from a stubborn person who has run out of justification for doing what they have failed to do for the last twenty years.

Man up. Stop pretending like digitizing your collection isn't as hardcore as dealing with the compromises that come from having it on hundreds of separate CDs. You are allowed to have both while not looking ridiculous in 2020 with a discman in your car
Wow are you trying to be a real internet jerk or are you just pulling my chain? Sometimes I'm not so sure.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Wow are you trying to be a real internet jerk or are you just pulling my chain? Sometimes I'm not so sure.
your post can only be seen as a cry for help. There's just no reality where suggesting to bring in a disc man, power cable / batteries, aux cable and shuffling that stuff around in the car and a bunch of cds and then swapping them as needed is anything but a desperate irrational last stand against what is otherwise a completely easy and simple solution.

There's nothing wrong with buying cds and having them. There is something wrong with you though if you truck them around with you. I was pretty sure that's what this thread was all about . You need to be yelled at to stop making your life more tedious and difficult than it needs to be for no reason.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
your post can only be seen as a cry for help. There's just no reality where suggesting to bring in a disc man, power cable / batteries, aux cable and shuffling that stuff around in the car and a bunch of cds and then swapping them as needed is anything but a desperate irrational last stand against what is otherwise a completely easy and simple solution.

There's nothing wrong with buying cds and having them. There is something wrong with you though if you truck them around with you. I was pretty sure that's what this thread was all about . You need to be yelled at to stop making your life more tedious and difficult than it needs to be for no reason.
As another 40+ guy who already started to embrace digital way back in the mp2 days (yes, em pee two), I'm still with Petrol Head on this one. He simply gave some advice to people who may be in the same boat, that's it.

It's one thing to share your opinion on the "inefficiency" of his method, but quite another to dismiss it as a "desperate irrational last stand" that he must be "yelled at to stop" for because he is doing it "for no reason". Who are you to establish the one true reality where efficiency is maximized ("you truck them around") and everyone must be onboard with your idea or there's "something wrong" with them?

I'm sure over time he will transfer his CD collection to flash storage or maybe even the cloud, as these CDs are very susceptible to physical decay, but why bash him for trying to help and share?

BTW, this reminds me of similar discussions about the built-in navigation... self-ordained Waze and Google Maps priests dismissing everyone who chose the factory nav as idiots that waste their money when they can have it for free—forget about lack of integration with the HUD/DIC, the pesky cable that is always in the wrong place, not wanting Google to have yet more data about them, none of this matters, the guy is an "idiot", period.

How about some empathy and understanding where the other person is coming from.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #18
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Anyone got any tips on 8 track integration?
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
As another 40+ guy who already started to embrace digital way back in the mp2 days (yes, em pee two), I'm still with Petrol Head on this one. He simply gave some advice to people who may be in the same boat, that's it.

It's one thing to share your opinion on the "inefficiency" of his method, but quite another to dismiss it as a "desperate irrational last stand" that he must be "yelled at to stop" for because he is doing it "for no reason". Who are you to establish the one true reality where efficiency is maximized ("you truck them around") and everyone must be onboard with your idea or there's "something wrong" with them?

I'm sure over time he will transfer his CD collection to flash storage or maybe even the cloud, as these CDs are very susceptible to physical decay, but why bash him for trying to help and share?

BTW, this reminds me of similar discussions about the built-in navigation... self-ordained Waze and Google Maps priests dismissing everyone who chose the factory nav as idiots that waste their money when they can have it for free—forget about lack of integration with the HUD/DIC, the pesky cable that is always in the wrong place, not wanting Google to have yet more data about them, none of this matters, the guy is an "idiot", period.

Well said. It's not very efficient for sure but heh there are people who might find it helpful. I try to use the "just let people enjoy" mentality nowadays.

Funny thing is that I used to bash CDs as well, except on my previous cars(the RX-8 and beater Accord), they are the most efficient way to store music there. No USB port yet, and playing through AUX cable doesn't allow me to change tracks with the steering wheel. I was also too lazy and cheap to bother with an aftermarket headunit. I already had a CD/DVD burner/reader lying around so I just bought some CD-RW and they worked out pretty well until I sold/totaled the cars.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #20
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

The thing is, everyone understands ...and that understanding is that A. a howto for using a microjack/aux cable is not really a howto as that's been how people play things in cars for literally 20+ years when the headunit doesn't support playing something. Everyone is familiar with it. So i reasonably assume there is an ulterior motive here. B. where he's coming from is not a good place to be. You shouldn't entertain the idea that it's ok as it doesn't do any good. I have lots of empathy, and it's to end the unnecessary suffering/hardship even if they dont know it is. If i didn't i'd have praised the activity and laughed internally at their continued behavior and future justifications whenever everyone asks them why?

Like if someone liked straight exhaust on a 4 cylinder car. You dont go "hey, it's what he likes so I'm gonna just give a thumbs up" ...you tell them it sounds like garbage and they should be arrested for putting everyone thru the sound of it to save them the eventual deserved ticket and keying/dents that will happen.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #21
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:

So you’re a f’n psychologist now eh?

You missed the point so much - as you do with a lot of topics I’ve noticed - that there’s no sense in you being on this forum. Your opinions are baseless and your responses border on what moderators have suspended people for before.

Last edited by Petrol Head; 08-14-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #22
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #23
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
If they weren’t garbage to begin with I’d be all for it

My basement is full of old school audio. I was an audio technician for 10 years before I got into medical equipment. Made a great living fixing everything from 1960s jukeboxes to 4 channel Quadrophonic receivers from the 60s and 70s, along with modern stuff too with Dolby Digital. Everything from $5,000 turntables to $50.00 DVD players I learned to fix.

It all started with my Grandfather’s 1967 Rowe jukebox. I learned how the electronics and mechanicals worked in that when I was about 15 and I still have it.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #24
UnknownJinX

Quote:
The thing is, everyone understands ...and that understanding is that A. a howto for using a microjack/aux cable is not really a howto as that's been how people play things in cars for literally 20+ years when the headunit doesn't support playing something. Everyone is familiar with it. So i reasonably assume there is an ulterior motive here. B. where he's coming from is not a good place to be. You shouldn't entertain the idea that it's ok as it doesn't do any good. I have lots of empathy, and it's to end the unnecessary suffering/hardship even if they dont know it is. If i didn't i'd have praised the activity and laughed internally at their continued behavior and future justifications whenever everyone asks them why?

Like if someone liked straight exhaust on a 4 cylinder car. You dont go "hey, it's what he likes so I'm gonna just give a thumbs up" ...you tell them it sounds like garbage and they should be arrested for putting everyone thru the sound of it to save them the eventual deserved ticket and keying/dents that will happen.
It honestly depends on the person... Some older people don't know how to use tech all that well(like my grandparents) and it might be a lot of effort for them to learn how to transfer it all into a USB stick even though we see it as easier. For older people, learning to use the tech is the hardship(brain plasticity and all that). Besides, the solution posted could be a transitional solution if someone has a massive library and doesn't want to transfer them all in one go.

There is something about the way you phrased it. Lots of people make the point without coming off as condescending. You don't have to be nice to people, of course, but people tend to reflect the way you treat them.

The difference in the fart can exhaust and a portable CD player in the car is that one is annoying others, the other isn't. Not a good example.

Past:
Old 08-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #25
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
I just burn down what I want onto my phone memory card and play it direct through the system that way. I have an enormous CD collection, but also, no need to carry them around, just copy what I want.
Did the same thing. I was a real holdout on CD's, I still collect them. Used to rip all my CD to high quality MP3's, but then I got spotify and just gave up on the that, it's really not worth it. $10 a month and you can listen to just about anything you could ever think of, great quality and endless other stuff to listen to.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #26
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
It honestly depends on the person... Some older people don't know how to use tech all that well(like my grandparents) and it might be a lot of effort for them to learn how to transfer it all into a USB stick even though we see it as easier. For older people, learning to use the tech is the hardship(brain plasticity and all that). Besides, the solution posted could be a transitional solution if someone has a massive library and doesn't want to transfer them all in one go.

There is something about the way you phrased it. Lots of people make the point without coming off as condescending. You don't have to be nice to people, of course, but people tend to reflect the way you treat them.

The difference in the fart can exhaust and a portable CD player in the car is that one is annoying others, the other isn't. Not a good example.
For me the tech isn't difficult at all. I can transfer all my CDs to my phone or stick if I wanted to, that's not a problem. It's just, really, a waste of time to me.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #27
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Android auto + Spotify for me. Don't even need to lift a finger to play the songs I want. "hey Google play rage against the machine on Spotify" is all I need.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #28
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
For me the tech isn't difficult at all. I can transfer all my CDs to my phone or stick if I wanted to, that's not a problem. It's just, really, a waste of time to me.
Oh I am not saying all old people are tech idiots or anything. As seen here, that's definitely not the case. But there are a share of people who are perhaps not even considered "old" that don't know tech very well.

To each of their own, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
Android auto + Spotify for me. Don't even need to lift a finger to play the songs I want. "hey Google play rage against the machine on Spotify" is all I need.
This works alright except if you are on a road trip, sometimes signals become a problem.

The music apps usually have a functionality that stores some of your favourites offline so you aren't completely SOL but the functionalities would still be more limited without a good signal.

Past: