Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

AWE Tuning

Old 09-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #57
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Whatever label you need to apply to feel better about your ignorance is ok with me. No impact.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #58
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
It's why England wants to get the truck out of the EU and is fighting like crazy to do it.
Yeah, Brexit is SUPER POPULAR and going very well isn't it? They're already seeing massive inflation as a result of something that isn't quite complete. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

lmao
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #59
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
Yeah, Brexit is SUPER POPULAR and going very well isn't it? They're already seeing massive inflation as a result of something that isn't quite complete. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

lmao
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #60
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
The technology will evolve. Just look how far batteries and charging have come in the last 10 years. In 15 years batteries will be smaller, lighter, more efficient, and likely you will see more solar self charging stations, or things like solar panels built into the car.

While I think this governor order is more political grandstanding than anything, even GM has been very open that they wanted 20ish new EV vehicles by 2023 (prior to Covid) so they appear to be all in.

In 15 years I fully expect that I will be driving either a hybrid or full EV sports car.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #61
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Whatever label you need to apply to feel better about your ignorance is ok with me. No impact.
No impact on me either. I guess I called it right then! It’s all good though. You believe what you want and I will do the same.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #62
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
The technology will evolve. Just look how far batteries and charging have come in the last 10 years. In 15 years batteries will be smaller, lighter, more efficient, and likely you will see more solar self charging stations, or things like solar panels built into the car.

While I think this governor order is more political grandstanding than anything, even GM has been very open that they wanted 20ish new EV vehicles by 2023 (prior to Covid) so they appear to be all in.

In 15 years I fully expect that I will be driving either a hybrid or full EV sports car.
Not only will I never drive anything but a gasoline powered, 4 cycle internal combustion engine, but I'll never drive anything but a manual transmission.

Like Charlton Heston said, they'll have to peel my cold dead hands off of it.

And don't confuse Mary Barra being all in herself with GM as a whole or "they" being all in..... I have read some disturbing information about the dissatisfaction of GM engineers with how Mary is directing them to design and engineer electric vehicle platforms. Not everyone at GM is on board. Far from it.

The whole "electric car" movement is less something that people really want and more of an edict by those few in power. Edicts don't drive the future. You can't sit people down and force them to buy electric cars if they plain and simply don't want one.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #63
Thill444

Quote:
Not only will I never drive anything but a gasoline powered, 4 cycle internal combustion engine, but I'll never drive anything but a manual transmission.

And don't confuse Mary Barra being all in herself with GM as a whole or "they" being all in..... I have read some disturbing information about the dissatisfaction of GM engineers with how Mary is directing them to design and engineer electric vehicle platforms. Not everyone at GM is on board. Far from it.
Hey I totally get it. I just bought an SS1LE with a manual, and one of the reasons I cancelled my C8 deposit was no manual.

In 15+ years I am going to be pushing mid 60's so I think I might be ready

GM has moved some of their Corvette engineers to EV, so I think it is a sign of things to come. And I think if you are wanting a modern sports car in 15 years you likely wont have a lot of choice. But nothing wrong with keeping a V8 manual "classic" in the garage. I may do the same as long as they are not banned from the streets...
Old 09-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #64
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Bunch of boomers afraid of the future in here, lmao.

Love the thinly veiled ignorance about cAlIfOrNiA, classy Patriotism and all that.

Besides, what did you morons think would happen when GERMANY mandated no more ICE vehicles by 2030? There are more than a couple automakers there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-..._fuel_vehicles
You have no idea how much I hate the "just because they do it *insert place here*, we should do it here" argument.

Places are different(I can't believe I need even explain this). Europe is a different place, there are things that work there that will not work in America(or even Canada).

Again, I think it will depend on if hybrids are still allowed. If so then I can understand a bit more, if not then this is stupid.

Quote:
Translation: I am totally not salty. I swear, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post

My personal take on the battery is that it's not like other techs like, say, SSD where you don't need as much raw material and resource put in, so it really just comes down to manufacturing and refining the technology.

Batteries need a lot of materials to be mined, so the bottleneck is dependent on the price of the raw material. Today's price is already considering how some mines are very unethically operated, and global supply chains are messy enough that you never know who you are sourcing it from.

Of course, there could be a totally different battery tech coming out, but that's a lot to bet on. Besides, for a lot of safety concerns, we are actually get somewhat close to the limit where you can actually control the energy in a battery. Lithium fires are pretty difficult to fight, as we have seen before.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #65
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:

The whole "electric car" movement is less something that people really want and more of an edict by those few in power. Edicts don't drive the future. You can't sit people down and force them to buy electric cars if they plain and simply don't want one.
Unfortunately I think you are in the minority here. Look at the manual take rate in the US, if you want any indication...

That said, while I am not against EVs in certain applications, there are cases it won't work. Basically if you don't have a garage or live in apartment with chargers, charging infrastructure is gonna be a pain in the neck.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #66
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
My personal take on the battery is that it's not like other techs like, say, SSD where you don't need as much raw material and resource put in, so it really just comes down to manufacturing and refining the technology.

Batteries need a lot of materials to be mined, so the bottleneck is dependent on the price of the raw material. Today's price is already considering how some mines are very unethically operated, and global supply chains are messy enough that you never know who you are sourcing it from.

Of course, there could be a totally different battery tech coming out, but that's a lot to bet on. Besides, for a lot of safety concerns, we are actually get somewhat close to the limit where you can actually control the energy in a battery. Lithium fires are pretty difficult to fight, as we have seen before.

All very good points and all are being worked on. Telsa is claiming they will be able to move from Lithium-ion or Lithium-iron based batteries which will greatly extend range and they say the batteries will last for 1 million miles. Lithium iron also means no more cobalt.

We are still very early on here with EV tech, and with all major manufacturers like GM, Ford, VW, etc all getting aggressive we will see some of the greatest engineers and minds working towards improving the tech.

I am optimistic. But I am not stupid. ICE engines will be around for awhile and for good reason, but I do see over the next 10-20 years a big push and companies are worried about building vehicles for a global economy. Having a car built specifically for the US and then one built for Europe and then one built for Asia would be incredible costly and redundant. Asia is seen as the growth market, and I think GM wants to be a player there.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #67
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
DO NOT COME TO ARIZONA!

I find it amazing that so many Californians leave their state because its all screwed up, then come here to enjoy the way our state is ran, but immediately start screwing this one up by voting the candidates and policies that screwed up Cali. because "the way we doing things here are wrong".

Stay the $%# OUT if you have this mentality!
Old 09-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #68
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

It's the typical "your side, my side and truth" thing. As an Average Joe, expect never finding out what the truth is, and there are people who make money off of this kind of stuff.

So... you gonna sell your Camaro SS to help prevent the climate change/global warming/whatever people call it nowadays? I always find it entertaining when people on a sports car forum try to bring up environmentalism. Pot calling the kettle black at its finest.

And to be serious for a sec, I think our approach for this issue is wrong(assuming climate change and such are mainly caused by human activities). Rather than reducing our consumption(yeah good luck with that one), the focus IMO should be on how to process the waste(carbon dioxide, etc.). IMO that will work out a lot better than trying to tell people how to live their lives.

Ahh yes, the typical "the scientists are living in McMansions, driving around Ferrari's, living off of that sweet income from doing science..." Yes, the same people who brought you The Microwave and Computer Chips...but now it's all a conspiracy and 97% of them are in on the chemtrails.

I always find it entertaining when people without a degree in the field suddenly think they know what they are talking about. I do have some formal (university and work) training in meteorology, but more than that, I've traveled with many of the scientists to their work locations in the Arctic.

I always find it entertaining when people deflect and try to bring up strawman arguments.

And being serious for a second...I have no idea what you mean by "process the waste". That's exactly what emissions have been improving on for years, now getting to where we need to change those emissions or eliminate them. It's far more efficient (yes, the calculations have been done on this) to generate power at the power-plant, whether it be nuclear, fission, fusion, wind, natural gas, hydroelectric, etc..., and transport it to your electric car. Emissions are still often involved here, but in terms of total impact, in both emissions and energy used, it's a better way. There is already at least partial infrastructure for it and as more of a shift is made, infrastructure is improved. Shirley you aren't advocating for a giant plastic bag on your exhaust and then sending it somewhere to use a lot more energy to scrub the carbon out of it?

And at the very least, you should be super hyped that this leaves far more oil and fuel available for military maneuvers, practice and reserves.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #69
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
California used to known as the Golden State, it was beautiful in the 60s and 70s...its now the sh!thole state.
Do you realize it's possible to live in CA in places other than LA and the Bay Area?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 09-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #70
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:

That's an interesting hill to die on. I guess you assume perfect health and cognitive ability until you die? The only thing I could drive for a while back was an automatic, having had ankle surgery. I'll probably need surgery on the other one at some time in the future and then even further in the future, I can see a day when I just can't drive a manual. Not today, but I'd rather still be driving than dying on that hill about the manual and petrol. The idea that I may be able to still get around by myself when I'm much older is pretty nice...

Electric cars were science fiction when I was growing up. The fact that they are reality now is amazing. Not for everyone, but to the point where they are practical for a large part of the population. It will only improve.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD