Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #15
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Traded my 18 1SS for my ZL1 after asking the very same question.

Really enjoyed the SS & thought I’d miss it more, but I’d do it again without hesitation. It’s so much more car it’s hard to put in words.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #16
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
I went from a SS 1LE to a ZL1 1LE. I loved the SS 1LE! It was an amazing car for the amount of money it cost me. I was very pleased with its driving performance and was set to just enjoy it on the track and on the street for many years or come.

Then, last year during COVID, an amazing deal came up on a ZL1 1LE. I took a test drive and was blown away. The car was simply amazing to drive. I immediately sold the SS 1LE and bought the ZLE. You can’t go wrong with the ZL1 or the SS. The power of the LT4 is very addicting and now I would miss it if I didn’t have it.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #17
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
If you can, you should. Love my 2SS but I could have done a ZL1 and probably should have
Old 05-13-2021, 10:49 PM   #18
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I have my appointment scheduled to go heads/cam + FBO in my SS but I just got an insane offer on my car. $7k over what I paid for it 5 months ago after almost 5k miles. I feel like I'd be stupid not to take that.

I'm thinking about taking the heads/cam money + SS equity + $7k and putting it into a ZL1 but I'm not sure if it's really that much of an upgrade? Anyone made this switch? I'd be coming from a 2019 1SS A10 and would probably try to find a lightly modified ZL1 off the forums here. There's only two ZL1's at dealers near me and I couldn't convince either of them to let me take it out to see what they're all about.
ZL1 owners say you should buy a ZL1, go figure, who'da thunk

Kidding aside, if you haven't modded the car yet and you think you can get a ZL1 at a reasonable price, by all means do it. Just don't forget that power, even of the LT4 variety, is never completely enough, so your wallet will probably keep hurting either way (I mean, a stock SS is probably enough for the street, if we are being completely honest, yet you're already looking at head and cam plus FBO vs LT4...)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:53 PM   #19
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
ZL1 owners say you should buy a ZL1, go figure, who'da thunk

Kidding aside, if you haven't modded the car yet and you think you can get a ZL1 at a reasonable price, by all means do it. Just don't forget that power, even of the LT4 variety, is never completely enough, so your wallet will probably keep hurting either way (I mean, a stock SS is probably enough for the street, if we are being completely honest, yet you're already looking at head and cam plus FBO vs LT4...)
Right.

I totally get it, really.

I’ve always been a, how should I put this... do-it-yourself type of guy that took a certain enjoyment, as well as sense of accomplishment, in having something I built myself & laying waste to the car snobs that simply plunked down absorbent amounts of money on their latest & greatest factory offering.

Yet, it doesn’t seem we are necessarily talking about that here. While granted OP is weighing doing the go-fast goodies to an SS, which there is absolutely nothing wrong with, it doesn’t sound like that’s an apples to apples comparison to what I’m talking to.

There’s, for me, a slight disconnect from say doing a complete self-labor build & tune, meaning putting in the hours upon hours of not only parts instal, but the requisite testing & tuning that goes along with it, that several here (you seemingly being one of those) have, undoubtedly, done & accomplished great results. Gleaning a truly deserved knowledge base, having someone else do the work is really no different than simply buying a factory offering with similar performance.

Suffice it to say the out-of-the-box capabilities of a ZL1, combined with the myriad of potential they offer, in terms of down-the-road potential, made it, honestly, a no brainer.

Sure there’s going to be the requisite initial investment, but even adding a simple E-tune w/ headers & intake on a Z can put you into the 600+RWHP range with all the added benefits of being a ZL1.

For me it was a matter of I get to have my cake, now, & eat it to.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:48 AM   #20
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I have my appointment scheduled to go heads/cam + FBO in my SS but I just got an insane offer on my car. $7k over what I paid for it 5 months ago after almost 5k miles. I feel like I'd be stupid not to take that.

I'm thinking about taking the heads/cam money + SS equity + $7k and putting it into a ZL1 but I'm not sure if it's really that much of an upgrade? Anyone made this switch? I'd be coming from a 2019 1SS A10 and would probably try to find a lightly modified ZL1 off the forums here. There's only two ZL1's at dealers near me and I couldn't convince either of them to let me take it out to see what they're all about.

Just know that you will get overpaid for your car but you’ll also overpay for the ZL1. If your money’s right do it or SC your SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:00 AM   #21
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I have a 2017 Camaro SS. This car is in the top 3 of the best cars I have ever owned (20 and counting).

I also have a supercharged C6 Corvette Grand Sport. Its right at 600 hp/tq. And its a manual. There is nothing like a car with power.

Go for the ZL1. Or supercharge your SS.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:31 AM   #22
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
I think the real question is ZL1 or C8? Is the ZL1 more car than a C8? That’s the question that arises whenever I think of making the jump. Haven’t had the chance to personally drive the C8 yet.
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:45 AM   #23
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Village Idiot wanted input on owners that upgraded from a SS to a ZL1 which some of us have done. Is it worth it? Yes to most people that have and some that did regret it because of issues with the oil pump or other problems. People that have never owned a ZL1 don’t know about them and just only have opinions how the car is. Everyone here has opinions which I respect but he was looking for info from people that switched to a ZL1 from an SS.��
Old 05-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #24
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
I have had both. 2018 2SS 1LE and a 2018 ZL1. Wanted to back into a Vette so now I have neither Camaro. If I did it all over again, hands down ZL1. You would not really even have to mod it. Just be aware, not making this up, you can literally watch the gas needle running towards "EMPTY" in the ZL1.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #25
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I go back and forth with this question. As much as I love the Z, I ask myself was it worth the extra 40K+ I paid after trading in my 2016? I own the Z outright, so it’s no so much a question of being strapped for cash.

For me, it comes down to how often I can use the extra power. Where I live, the answer is rarely, but when I do, the experience is very satisfying. The stares, comments and revs from all types of cars, let’s you know the car is a bit special and somewhat rare.

Honestly, the SS was really good, it was the perfect balance of handling and power for MY needs. I wouldn’t go back from where I’m at now, but would probably have stuck with the SS if I had to do it all over again.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #26
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I have both an ss 1le and a zl1 1le. It doesn't matter what i buy it won't remain stock. That being said with the zl1 you have forged internals which makes it cheaper to modify. Currently my ss 1le has nearly double the hp my zl1 has but that is coming to an end shortly just need to find the time to complete it. As far as handling the ss 1le on the 1le specific springs from eibach handles damn near as good as my zl1 1le stock. But power wise 455 crank would not cut it for me. My z06 has 100 hp over stock and it feels real slow compared to my ss 1le. That being said on stock tires in these platforms anything over 700 rwhp is sit and spin
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #27
closs2sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
I think the real question is ZL1 or C8? Is the ZL1 more car than a C8? That’s the question that arises whenever I think of making the jump. Haven’t had the chance to personally drive the C8 yet.
the c8 is a big fat no for me until they make a zr1 manual transmission car which based on what they said won't happen.
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
6 Spd Manual
Old 05-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #28
closs2sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

A smart car is enough for the street and you can break the speed limit with it eventually lol
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
6 Spd Manual