Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Solo HFC with muffler delete

Is it too loud? I live in a pretty big neighborhood with a HOA, so I can't have anything insane.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Too loud is a matter of taste and opinion, but HFC's with muffler delete is going to be pretty loud. And you run the risk of having drone... which some people don't mind but I find obnoxious as hell.

Solo HFC's with the stock exhaust sounds really good. Nice bark at start-up then quiets down. Very civilized under normal driving and a nice roar when you get on it. Try that first before you do the muffler delete.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
rebelyell22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Too loud is a matter of taste and opinion, but HFC's with muffler delete is going to be pretty loud. And you run the risk of having drone... which some people don't mind but I find obnoxious as hell.

Solo HFC's with the stock exhaust sounds really good. Nice bark at start-up then quiets down. Very civilized under normal driving and a nice roar when you get on it. Try that first before you do the muffler delete.
I already have a delete. Not loud at all imo, but everyone says the cats are what make it quiet
Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
I already have a delete. Not loud at all imo, but everyone says the cats are what make it quiet
Yep, the cats are where most of the muffling comes from.

Go ahead and get the HFC's. You can always add mufflers if it is too loud for you or you get a bunch of drone.

I ended up with the Solo HFC's and Solo Mach XL catback exhaust which, in my opinion is PERFECT.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
per my sig...under 2k she rumbles...over 2k she roars...lol...live in the booneys so don't give a rats ass...all the dang diesel trucks are freakin loud and some coal roll...basterds..lol...

BUT I did get the drone right at ..you guess it..2k!...put some sound proofing in the trunk especially the wheel well...big improvement plus added benefit makes stock stereo bass sound better...gonna add a helmholtz pipe in near future...now I just keep the r's above or below 2k and all is well...good luck
Old 04-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
rebelyell22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
per my sig...under 2k she rumbles...over 2k she roars...lol...live in the booneys so don't give a rats ass...all the dang diesel trucks are freakin loud and some coal roll...basterds..lol...

BUT I did get the drone right at ..you guess it..2k!...put some sound proofing in the trunk especially the wheel well...big improvement plus added benefit makes stock stereo bass sound better...gonna add a helmholtz pipe in near future...now I just keep the r's above or below 2k and all is well...good luck
Benefit of having a manual. Are they hard to put in? Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
With the muffler delete, it sounded like what the car should have came from the factory as. With my HFCs, it got a lot louder on cold starts.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #8
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Hard to put in is all a matter of your skill set, exp,...and most important tools..I have been a shade tree mech for years so I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best!--- lol....axle back needs sawzall for the cut and I had to expand the new pipe slightly to get it to slip over...the included clamps in the Doug T kit are like factory and will not allow you to over tq...the the 4" tips poke out IMHO perfectly....I am very impressed with the stock exhaust and for me is perfect from the cats back to the axle...planning to stay N/A but who knows....
Old 04-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
Yezzir600

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Solos sound awesome and can be tuned for a decent gain compared to others AND I juts happened to have a pair sitting in my garage from a long while back when I was stock. $420 shipped ;-)
Yezzir600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
The factory cats hold back the sound big time. Night and day difference!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
Benefit of having a manual. Are they hard to put in? Thanks
Easy to do with basic tools and patience. Get r done!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I'm straight piped I guess you could say. Longtube headers, no cats, and 3 in retro catback. I honestly don't think it's that loud unless you want it to be. Driving a manual, if I want to keep it quiet I just shift below 2k and all is good. I'd say make the switch, you should be fine.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #13
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post

I ended up with the Solo HFC's and Solo Mach XL catback exhaust which, in my opinion is PERFECT.
Other than having Kooks HFC's. I just put on the same exhaust. I love it. You can hear it but its not too loud. Plus No drone. And my dishes dont fall off the shelves when I start it anymore. lol. I had the flow master american thunder.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote