Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
gen5dewy

Drives: 2015 Black 2SS/RS
headers question

I'm looking to get headers here in the near future. I'm keep looking at different places to get them. Ive seen headers for as much as 1400 but as low as 400. What would yall recommend? I alreadt plan on getting a tune after they are installed and getting them ceramic coated before they go, but not sure by who. I've looked at BBK and Stainless Works, leaning toward stainless, but am just not sure what to go with.
I know there are threds on here about this topic I'm just not good with the search feature to find them.... any and all recommendations at welcome and greatly appreciated
gen5dewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
sinisterlsx510

Drives: 14 ss camaro summit white
If ur on a budget go with tsp/or even speed engineering.. but u can also look for deals on the forum.. i personally got some stainless works for dirt cheap

2019 sierra duramax 2500 all terrain x

2001 trans am
Lsx 408 ci rebuild in progress(dead project)

1967 camaro
Sbc 327.
sinisterlsx510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
gen5dewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterlsx510 View Post
If ur on a budget go with tsp/or even speed engineering.. but u can also look for deals on the forum.. i personally got some stainless works for dirt cheap
I'm not overly concerned about budget. Now I'm not ganna blow 2k on something but if it was the proper part for what I want I would consider it. I just want the right tool for the job
Old 08-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
If you are smart enough to post....you are smart enough to search. Best bet is to stick with popular budget names as suggested....especially if you are coating....tsp, speed engineerinkg, obx, stainless power.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I run speed engineering, and have been running them for more than a year now without issue.

Really just boils down to how much money you're willing to spend, to my knowledge there is no difference between brands when it comes to same size headers. My 1 7/8 longtubes probably flow just as well as Stainless, TSP, or Kooks

Heck there is a member running speed engineering headers with a cam and making 500 something wheel HP. I'm not gonna lie, the quality will probably be better from the more expensive brands, but these "ebay" headers are hard to beat for the money.

My thought process was on what is essentially flow mods, I don't believe you gotta pay top dollar to get similarly performing products, but if I was going to do major work(boost/cam/head/etc) then yea I'd swing for the best stuff I could afford.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
BRN2SPD

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary Edition
Stainless works is best bang for buck imo
-K&N Intake
-Resonator Delete
-Stance SF03 Titanium Wheels
2002 35th Anniversary SS Convertible
-SLP Performance Package
1991 Z28 Convertible
-Cam
-Heads
-Custom 350 Engine Build
BRN2SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Another vote for Stainless Works...............

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Contact Maryland Speed. They will hook you up, eventually.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
who-dat

Drives: 2011 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Contact Maryland Speed. They will hook you up, eventually.
What he means by eventually is that you'll receive them within the year.
who-dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Look to see if the budget headers have a decent merge spike and the stainless is a good grade...I went with stainless power made by stainless works overseas welding.... any well they got a polish up from me and buffing head and some metal polish I got form harbor freight and used high flow cats I got in a deal form Maryland speed years ago for $712 shipped which was a real deal at the time. Now of course there are others that are out there, and you have to do the research...I wanted quality at a low price...both do not go together too well...LOL I am pleased over the years my headers have changed to a nice champagne color and never leaked nor with a build and tune on a couple engines no problems with the cats and with NPP exhaust I have excellent decal poppin/burble should I want it down shifting or just when the fuel shut off kicks it getting off throttle ocassionally.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
who-dat

Drives: 2011 1ss
If you do not want to do cats and do not want to pay top dollar for a brand name, speed engineering headers are tried and tested time and time again for $400 shipped with extensions and new gaskets. I would opt out of their clamps and buy your own though. Then again if you want cats, TSP can give you cats that match up or you can just buy TSP with their cats and it'll end up costing about the same around $700
who-dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
It all depends on how long you plan to hold on to your car IMO. If you plan on never selling the car then more expensive brands are worth it in my opinion because they're guaranteed forever. If you only plan on having your car for 10-15 years max then mid range headers are a good way to go, also if you need cats the mid range headers will still be able to outfit you with them like the high priced ones. If you change cars as often as your underwear, don't waste your money, just get some Speed Engineering headers as they will do the job and you won't blow a bunch of extra coin.

Here's some forum favorites:
Higher price: Kooks, Stainless Works, ARH
Mid range price: OBX, Stainless Power, Texas Speed
Budget price: Speed Engineering, eBay/Amazon headers

The budget headers sometimes require extra parts to make them work properly like different exhaust clamps, adding in O2 extensions, and the budget ones typically don't come with cats if you need them.

Also, www.marylandspeed.com has free ceramic coating with the code FREECOATKOOKS or at least they used to. Some people have been experiencing slower than anticipated turn around times right now, but they are good to keep you posted and will do what is necessary to make it right if their supplier is backed up. I've bought from them for years and they've treated me pretty well.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #13
bd2014rs/ss

Drives: 2015 ss and 1980 z28
Maryland speed did give me a great deal on mine but i also bought my cai and cat-back. The more you buy the more you save... especially if you call them. Although it did take a while to ship out. But with all the $$$$$ they saved me with the bundle i didnt mind waiting.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #14
gen5dewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
It all depends on how long you plan to hold on to your car IMO. If you plan on never selling the car then more expensive brands are worth it in my opinion because they're guaranteed forever. If you only plan on having your car for 10-15 years max then mid range headers are a good way to go, also if you need cats the mid range headers will still be able to outfit you with them like the high priced ones. If you change cars as often as your underwear, don't waste your money, just get some Speed Engineering headers as they will do the job and you won't blow a bunch of extra coin.

Here's some forum favorites:
Higher price: Kooks, Stainless Works, ARH
Mid range price: OBX, Stainless Power, Texas Speed
Budget price: Speed Engineering, eBay/Amazon headers

The budget headers sometimes require extra parts to make them work properly like different exhaust clamps, adding in O2 extensions, and the budget ones typically don't come with cats if you need them.

Also, www.marylandspeed.com has free ceramic coating with the code FREECOATKOOKS or at least they used to. Some people have been experiencing slower than anticipated turn around times right now, but they are good to keep you posted and will do what is necessary to make it right if their supplier is backed up. I've bought from them for years and they've treated me pretty well.
I think yall have reassured me on wanting Stainless power headers. I do plan on keeping this car as long as humanly possible so I might as well go with the best!
Thank you all for the advice!