Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #29
NewCamaroSSowner

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS convertible
Ok I think I want to try and do a resonator delete before I do anything else to get more sound. The my 2011 Camaro SS L99 came with a Borla axle back on it not sure which one doesn't say so I am assuming its the touring because its pretty mild and has a deep tone. If I do the resonator delete should I add a X pipe or a H since the H has more low end torque and a deeper sound I am leaning towards that. Also I am worried about drone should I invest in a range technology AFM disabler ? Thanks for the advice.
NewCamaroSSowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:29 PM   #30
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Do the Tru X pipe from Magnaflow. You gain nothing from an X or H pipe swap.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #31
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
Do the Tru X pipe from Magnaflow. You gain nothing from an X or H pipe swap.
^^^^ this, you will get a bit louder sound, but as stated, no power or tq gains.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:04 AM   #32
Tarendor

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss rs L99
This is fact and not opinion;

X pipe will promote top end pull
H pipe will promote low end grunt

This is my opinion:
When I got my camaro it had the muffler delete already.
I immediately put on long tubes w/cat delete. (Turned off AFM because...v8)

The car sounded AMAZING....
Then I swapped the giant suitcase resonator for an x pipe and the volume went to 11.

I loved it but I was concerned that I could hear the car cold start up at 5am from 2 blocks away...so I put in flow master 10's in and it was perfect...rumble at idle...decel pop and roaring at wot.

Drone....? Pfft it's a v8 monster, not a cushi silent put put...

Then I went Turbo and changed everything hahahaha
2012 2SS/RS, L99, no cats/mufflers, Ported intake manifold, fuel rail upgrade, ID1050x injectors, Vmax throttle body, 25% UDP, GPI DOD delete, GPI SS3, GPI cnc heads, GPI – 5/16″ Hardened Pushrods, BTR trunion upgrade, BTR .660 springs, pcv revamp w/dual catch cans, Circle D 3800, full BMR suspension & bushings. ZL1 fuel pump, HPT programmed fpcm. JMS bap, Snow VC-50 methanol setup. custom 4gal methonal tank, vs7875 turbo, FMIC, precision 46mm WG, 50mm BOV, 3bar map, SJM line lock, Innovate SCG-1, Hurst shifter with tap shift mod, ×2 Holley 14" fans Diy E85, Diy auxiliary pump
Tarendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #33
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Ok, so the resonator in an L99 is like 20+ pounds, yes the X-pipe may or may not get you power, BUT, it might, and saving 20 pounds AND getting a little nicer sound is a win.

As far as what longtubes get you, with a tune roughly 25hp or more...doing anything past the cats nets you about 0-1 hp....it's mostly just sound.

Again, I think the smartest idea is what I run. You'd leave the mufflers stock, and if you want it to sound louder after the longtubes and x-pipe then you can get some aftermarket mufflers, but my setup sounds damn good as it is.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #34
Modernmusclecar

The power gains between the x and h pipe are mininal. Youre not winning or losing a race based on which one you choose. Way back when I did my Magnaflow muffler delete I went with the Tru X pipe in place of the stock resonator. It sounded pretty good. But after years of frankensteining my exhaust I just bought a quality catback. For me its something I should have done in the beginning.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #35
Tarendor

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss rs L99
Quote:
The power gains between the x and h pipe are mininal. Youre not winning or losing a race based on which one you choose. Way back when I did my Magnaflow muffler delete I went with the Tru X pipe in place of the stock resonator. It sounded pretty good. But after years of frankensteining my exhaust I just bought a quality catback. For me its something I should have done in the beginning.
"Internet quote"
X-pipes tend to be higher-pitched and more raspy while H-pipes have a lower pitch and sound more like a deep growl. In terms of horsepower and torque, there are some differences. X-pipes tend to have better horse power while H-pipes have better torque, comparatively speaking.
*end*

In other words...It's about top pull vs low grunt and the sound. It is a noticeable difference. Are you going to see "huge" difference in actual dyno numbers? Not really very much if that's the only difference, however you will feel the difference with the seat of the pants dyno and the tone of the drone.

(fi is a different conversation)

*shrug*
2012 2SS/RS, L99, no cats/mufflers, Ported intake manifold, fuel rail upgrade, ID1050x injectors, Vmax throttle body, 25% UDP, GPI DOD delete, GPI SS3, GPI cnc heads, GPI – 5/16″ Hardened Pushrods, BTR trunion upgrade, BTR .660 springs, pcv revamp w/dual catch cans, Circle D 3800, full BMR suspension & bushings. ZL1 fuel pump, HPT programmed fpcm. JMS bap, Snow VC-50 methanol setup. custom 4gal methonal tank, vs7875 turbo, FMIC, precision 46mm WG, 50mm BOV, 3bar map, SJM line lock, Innovate SCG-1, Hurst shifter with tap shift mod, ×2 Holley 14" fans Diy E85, Diy auxiliary pump
Tarendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #36
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarendor View Post
"Internet quote"
X-pipes tend to be higher-pitched and more raspy while H-pipes have a lower pitch and sound more like a deep growl. In terms of horsepower and torque, there are some differences. X-pipes tend to have better horse power while H-pipes have better torque, comparatively speaking.
*end*

In other words...It's about top pull vs low grunt and the sound. It is a noticeable difference. Are you going to see "huge" difference in actual dyno numbers? Not really very much if that's the only difference, however you will feel the difference with the seat of the pants dyno and the tone of the drone.

(fi is a different conversation)

*shrug*
Real life experience over 10 years of modding my car with h pipes...x pipes...muffler delete. Multiple dyno runs and 1/4 trips with various setups really didnt make a difference in et or trap speed. 60ft didnt change. While the sound for sure us different I have seen zero difference in performance based on my experience. And I tried way to many setups along the way
Old 04-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #37
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Real life experience over 10 years of modding my car with h pipes...x pipes...muffler delete. Multiple dyno runs and 1/4 trips with various setups really didnt make a difference in et or trap speed. 60ft didnt change. While the sound for sure us different I have seen zero difference in performance based on my experience. And I tried way to many setups along the way
You sound like me Modern, I have had about 8 different setups on my Camaro Frankenstein'd together and no difference except sound, then I finally bit the bullet 2 years ago and got a catback system and fixed all that crap.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #38
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
You sound like me Modern, I have had about 8 different setups on my Camaro Frankenstein'd together and no difference except sound, then I finally bit the bullet 2 years ago and got a catback system and fixed all that crap.
Yep....stock....x pipe.. muffler delete...h pipe....Super 10...resonated pipe. Tuned and raced those conbos haha. Quality catback right off the bat is my advice.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #39
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Yep....stock....x pipe.. muffler delete...h pipe....Super 10...resonated pipe. Tuned and raced those conbos haha. Quality catback right off the bat is my advice.
Amen to that!! Just to think of what we spent on all that crap, would have paid for the catback from the beginning!! lol. But live and learn..
Old 04-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #40
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Amen to that!! Just to think of what we spent on all that crap, would have paid for the catback from the beginning!! lol. But live and learn..
Youre so right. Im thinking for me 2 k.And never really had the sound I wanted. Everybody thinks muffler delete and straight piped sounds good. Until you put a quality catback on the car.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #41
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Youre so right. Im thinking for me 2 k.And never really had the sound I wanted. Everybody thinks muffler delete and straight piped sounds good. Until you put a quality catback on the car.
Yes sir, agreed!! I just switched out my old FM Outlaw catback to the Corsa Sport catback and man what a huge difference!! Love it..