Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #15
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I haven't had the balls to try the no lift shift for fear of hitting the rev limiter. What's your guys method? I don't want to damage anything, but am curious.
You can’t hurt it by hitting the rev limiter on a up shift. It’s built in protection. You could by down shifting to low of a gear and over rev. It just takes some practice. I’m sure most of us have always been taught to lift when shifting.

Just make sure to hold the throttle all the way down and once the tach goes past 5k push the clutch all the way in and shift to the next gear. The motor will sound a bit funny as it holds the engine speed while you shift.

Go practice and have fun.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #16
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
The stock SS shifter is decent, but I found the Hurst shifter to be significantly more precise. You will not miss a shift with the Hurst setup.

If Hurst wanted to sell a ton of these shifters, they'd put a car on display at Camaro Fest (or similar event) and allow potential buyers to get a feel for it in comparison to the stock shifter.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #17
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Last night i was watching shifting videos and they all mentioned what you guys are saying—push the shifter forward into third with your palm, rather than grasping the shifter. Drove M since 15.5 yo and never heard of that or had an issue. Oh well, better late than never!
Thanks!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #18
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I haven't had the balls to try the no lift shift for fear of hitting the rev limiter. What's your guys method? I don't want to damage anything, but am curious.
For me it is sound and the HUD. Learn the sound and glance at the HUD and you will be right on.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #19
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
This is the timeless guide to performance shifting by the hall of fame Z06 drag racer Ranger.

https://www.rangeracceleration.com/I..._Shifting.html
I taught myself the art of manual transmission operation on my '69 442 with a Muncie M-20. My Z/28 shifter always has felt "odd" to me until my therapy ride last night. Followed these directions to the letter and it made a HUGE difference. Seems like the factory knob is designed for this technique. Thanks for the info.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchunsifu View Post
Exactly, as others have reaffirmed here as well.
Yup. Grabbing the shift knob almost guarantees you'll pull the lever away from the path you need it to take . . . though I think the old straight-line 3-speed floor shifters actually encouraged people to grip the ball.

Quote:
However, missing third gear used to happen to me all the time on my POS 2007 Ford Mustang GT with its whopping 300hp and shitty gearbox that I always hit the rev limiter with when I was trying to show off.
This was and always has been the consequence of Ford mounting the TR3650's shifter partly to the transmission and partly to the body. When you've got the engine loaded up under power, it rolls to the right and basically changes the little jog you have to make at the lever to get from 2 to 3.

Quote:
On my Gen5 and Gen6 M6's I never had that problem. If you are a handgun shooter the comparison is like anticipating the bang and recoil with the excess tension in your finger which should be disconnected from your hand grip pulling the shots down or to either side when the gun goes bang. Relaxation under pressure is one of life's biggest secrets. Master this simple concept and it will take you far young Jedi...
Interesting analogy.

Norm
Old 02-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #21
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
The stock SS shifter is decent, but I found the Hurst shifter to be significantly more precise. You will not miss a shift with the Hurst setup.

If Hurst wanted to sell a ton of these shifters, they'd put a car on display at Camaro Fest (or similar event) and allow potential buyers to get a feel for it in comparison to the stock shifter.
The result of the Hurst far out weighs the installation PITA. Most satisfying upgrade I have done so far. Just being able to slam what ever gear you want with out feeling the rubbery feed back with the stock set up is very confidence inspiring. I haven't missed a shift yet.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:35 PM   #22
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
The result of the Hurst far out weighs the installation PITA. Most satisfying upgrade I have done so far. Just being able to slam what ever gear you want with out feeling the rubbery feed back with the stock set up is very confidence inspiring. I haven't missed a shift yet.

yea when i heard you had to almost drop the tranny to install it i was over it haha
Old 02-17-2021, 01:50 PM   #23
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yea when i heard you had to almost drop the tranny to install it i was over it haha
It's not as bad as it sounds.. you just need to lower the rear of the trans a bit to get access to the shifter. I did it in my garage with no lift over a weekend.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #24
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Its your technique. Try pushing the shifter forward (open handed) and not trying to direct it into gear by holding it. Let the centering spring do its job. I guarantee you will never miss the 2-3 again.

cupping the shifter or holding it in your fist and trying to move it in the direction is the problem. You should be just pushing it straight forward with the ball of your hand. Nothing more.
I am still experiencing this 2-3 shift issue where I end up in neutral instead of 3rd occasionally (at 3 different tracks so far) but only when pushing for fast laps on track even though I'm letting the centering spring align the stick as I go into 3rd. I'm not using NLS on the 2-3 shift but I usually do on 3-4. Others have had the same issue on track:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=63
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=60

Stiffer aftermarket motor mounts have been suggested as a possible fix but not sure if anyone with the issue has tried them yet to find out.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #25
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
I am still experiencing this 2-3 shift issue where I end up in neutral instead of 3rd occasionally (at 3 different tracks so far) but only when pushing for fast laps on track even though I'm letting the centering spring align the stick as I go into 3rd. I'm not using NLS on the 2-3 shift but I usually do on 3-4. Others have had the same issue on track:

Stiffer aftermarket motor mounts have been suggested as a possible fix but not sure if anyone with the issue has tried them yet to find out.
I do not think the engine mount stiffness is the problem. There must be something else going on that you could address the root cause more directly.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #26
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post

Very interesting—- figured I was the only one!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #27
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i think it is also fair to ask the question:

am i missing the shift...or

am i letting the clutch out too soon?

there is a difference and knowing what's what will make solving the problem easier. i don't miss gears but i have noticed the rubbery, soft shifts (since new) and as of about 10k miles the shifter got noticeably loose (23k miles now). the car still shifts very easy and what i would call precise. however, in neutral, the shifter moves around about as much as the zf5 does in my 88 f250. i can see that much slop causing a problem when trying to NLS @ 6900, although it has not stopped me.

edit: i bought a hurst last year and will install it this spring. i know ill never get the t56 mgw feel i'm looking for, but the lack of shifter options for these cars is annoying.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #28
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Good advice for the 2-3 shift. I also bring my elbow close to my body.