AWE Tuning

Old 04-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #43
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I'd really like to hear from GM Chairman & CEO Mary Barra as to why no more FE vette?

I think there is a corollary here ...she might be GM's version of Ma Ferguson (the Gov of Texas who eliminated the Texas Rangers ) only to have them reinstated after they hunted down Bonnie & Clyde and her ass was voted out of office !
Wouldn't it be Mark Ruess, the head of product development, that makes such decisions? Pretty sure that product planning is a major part of that job. Moreso than the CEO's job, thats for sure. Plus, since he is the former head of GM's performance division, wouldn't it make sense that he'd have a personal interest in creating the absolute best performing car that GM could possibly deliver? That sounds very much like something a gearhead like Ruess would want to do.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #44
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
I do not understand all of the negativity on this thread.

I applaud GM for continuing to try and evolve their sports car platforms. They have DRASTICALLY improved the Camaro with beasts like the ZL1 1LE. If they were to keep the Corvette as a front engine muscle car at some point the Camaro and Corvette overlap, at that point there is not a need for both.

I like the look of the C8, and the fact GM engineers are working to make sure the Vette does not suffer the same fate as the Viper.
I see your point. The overall performance of the Camaro has been similar to the Corvette in recent years. Maybe a mid-engine Corvette means GM will keep the Camaro for many generations to come. I can't imagine GM not making a front-engine performance coupe that is relatively cheap.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #45
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Wouldn't it be Mark Ruess, the head of product development, that makes such decisions? Pretty sure that product planning is a major part of that job. Moreso than the CEO's job, thats for sure. Plus, since he is the former head of GM's performance division, wouldn't it make sense that he'd have a personal interest in creating the absolute best performing car that GM could possibly deliver? That sounds very much like something a gearhead like Ruess would want to do.
Could be him but I thought she made the announcement
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #46
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Chevrolet engineers have been talking about doing and building concepts of this for almost 50 years.
Has nothing to do with Barra
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #47
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Could be him but I thought she made the announcement
I hadn't heard that, but when I looked it up, I see that she and Tadge Juechter rolled up in a C8 to a charity event for New York firefighters to announce the car. So while Mark could have gone to the event as the president of GM (he wears several hats), having the CEO attend is even bigger.

But regardless of the details of just what was going on around it, Barra was presumably there as the CEO of the company -not the person behind the C8 program. I'm not saying she doesn't know the arguments for and against doing a mid-engined Corvette, I'd be shocked if she didn't (hell, I'd be surprised if anybody who's ever been involved in product development at GM for the last 50 years hadn't heard the arguments). Just that she probably has bigger things to occupy her time beyond pushing for (or against) individual vehicle programs. Particularly when she has good people working under her who hammer out such details as part of their job description.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #48
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
That blue one actually looks pretty sweet. I wonder what could have been if GM decided to go mid engine back then.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:53 AM   #49
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
If you don't want a $50,000 Blazer then don't option it out to that much. Base price is 30 grand, which is a few grand more than the Equinox -but well short of Tahoes. And don't forget that you can get an Equinox up past $45k if you ever wanted to. Again, its like complaining that Camaros are 70 grand. Some? Yes. Most? No.

The Blazer isn't tiny either. Its bigger than the Equinox and thats not overly small either. The Trax? Those things are tiny. The Blazer is slightly bigger than the last generation Equinox but the current ones shrunk a bit in order to make for more room between it an the Traverse (which managed to get even bigger). Actually, when I was looking up the specs, I see that the new Blazer is a few inches longer (both wheelbase & total) than the old K5 (aka 'big') Blazer. It is a little narrower though and quite a bit lower. So depending on how you're defining big, it could be considered bigger than the Big Blaze ... which just feels downright weird.

Anywhoo ... mid engined C8 Corvette in July. Any guesses as to where the reveal is going to happen?
I just built a Ford Edge ST on their website. I added three options (21" wheels, heated steering wheel and red paint). A 12 speaker, Bang and Olufsen stereo are standard on the ST, as well as a panoramic sunroof and AWD. Final price: $47,175. This is why the Blazer RS's price disgruntles many folks. I then went and built an RS on Chevy's website with the same features. I added Cajun Red paint and an 8 speaker, Bose stereo (not standard). AWD and panoramic sunroof are standard. Final price: $51,325. The end result is essentially, $4,000 for a lesser stereo. Again, it is all subjective. I wouldn't buy a Ford, but the $4,000 savings is nice for somebody that would.

Depending on price, I may buy a C8 when I'm done having fun with my C7 GS. I want to see all of the other variants that are going to be released. Typically, the bargain model is released first, with the upgraded models being trickled out later (C7: Stingray '14, Z06 '15, GS '17, ZR1 '19)

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #50
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I just built a Ford Edge ST on their website. I added three options (21" wheels, heated steering wheel and red paint). A 12 speaker, Bang and Olufsen stereo are standard on the ST, as well as a panoramic sunroof and AWD. Final price: $47,175. This is why the Blazer RS's price disgruntles many folks. I then went and built an RS on Chevy's website with the same features. I added Cajun Red paint and an 8 speaker, Bose stereo (not standard). AWD and panoramic sunroof are standard. Final price: $51,325. The end result is essentially, $4,000 for a lesser stereo. Again, it is all subjective. I wouldn't buy a Ford, but the $4,000 savings is nice for somebody that would.
Agreed. And we're focused on the RS because let's be honest, most of us here in this forum would desire that model in the portfolio if we're in the market. If i'm cross shopping and brand loyalty isn't a thing, buying the Blazer RS over the Edge ST would be hard to justify.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #51
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Agreed. And we're focused on the RS because let's be honest, most of us here in this forum would desire that model in the portfolio if we're in the market. If i'm cross shopping and brand loyalty isn't a thing, buying the Blazer RS over the Edge ST would be hard to justify.
True. Folks on a Camaro forum interested in performance vehicles? Shocking. And let's be honest, it appears that GM is not interested in offering any True SS variants of their ordinary car line-up (Sonic SS, Blazer SS, etc.).

The RS models with their stickers and different wheels will have to do.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
Old 04-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #52
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
True. Folks on a Camaro forum interested in performance vehicles? Shocking. And let's be honest, it appears that GM is not interested in offering any True SS variants of their ordinary car line-up (Sonic SS, Blazer SS, etc.).

The RS models with their stickers and different wheels will have to do.
I think this might change with the Blazer. I bet we'll see an SS. I'd think they'd want to fill the niche as they eliminate cars in general. Counterpoint: it's GM.

Anyway, so the mid-engined Corvette, amirite?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #53
DRKS1D3

Quote:
I think this might change with the Blazer. I bet we'll see an SS. I'd think they'd want to fill the niche as they eliminate cars in general. Counterpoint: it's GM.

I've said the same thing before. With GM cutting a handful of models, now would be the time to implement some SS variants into to their line-up. With less models to focus on, why not inject some real excitement into the remaining vehicles?

Many folks are brand loyal (I am one). Most of these folks get in tight with a brand when they are young and will continue buying from them throughout their lives. A Sonic SS would fit the bill. Most young people in their 20's cannot afford a Camaro or Corvette, so a relatively cheap ($18-22k) Sonic SS would turn some heads. Get them in early, then down the road, when money is more plentiful, move up to a Camaro or Corvette.

As for the C8, like I stated before, they have to keep this thing priced in the current Corvette enthusiast's wheelhouse. If they do not, you're going to alienate a lot of loyal customers and it won't be pretty.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #54
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
This is a big risk. The styling must be on point! I'll reserve judgment until I see it unwrapped. I suppose this is being sought after for evolution of the brand. The risk could be alienation of decades of Corvette fans when they introduce a model that has very little in common with past models.

Secondly, this thing must move like stink. Period. If there isn't a significant performance improvement (and if its ugly) then I'm afraid Chevy will have a load of trouble on their hands. Good luck and remember.....this car has to come out blazing!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #55
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:

A Blazer SS is rumored here in the Big Apple show next week. Its suppose to be powerful but no v8. I thought Chevy learned their lesson with the SS badging. I applaud them for making fast handling platforms with forced induction. But an 'SS without the vaulted V8 will be a hard sell and starting with an uphill climb. I'd rather see a good performing and handling version with a different name.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #56
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I hadn't heard that, but when I looked it up, I see that she and Tadge Juechter rolled up in a C8 to a charity event for New York firefighters to announce the car. So while Mark could have gone to the event as the president of GM (he wears several hats), having the CEO attend is even bigger.

But regardless of the details of just what was going on around it, Barra was presumably there as the CEO of the company -not the person behind the C8 program. I'm not saying she doesn't know the arguments for and against doing a mid-engined Corvette, I'd be shocked if she didn't (hell, I'd be surprised if anybody who's ever been involved in product development at GM for the last 50 years hadn't heard the arguments). Just that she probably has bigger things to occupy her time beyond pushing for (or against) individual vehicle programs. Particularly when she has good people working under her who hammer out such details as part of their job description.
Whatever,whomever. It's not that I'm opposed to the C8 I'd just really like to hear GM's rational for no more FE vette. If it's to promote the Camaro as its FE high performance car that's more affordable to more people than a Vette just say so. If it's not to have to maintain two divergent Vette platforms just say so. If it's something else just say so. I think GM owes 60+ years of Vette enthusiasts an explanation!
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote