Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
Rwchck16SS

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2ss
Oil catch can issues

I could use some advice from those in the know.
2016 SS, stock, installed a upr oil catch can and then I got the check engine light along with the motor running like a sick dog!
Went to the local automotive store for a scan which showed a po171 code and po174 code. Yes that's right bank 1 and 2 running lean and then the computer compensates for the condition and it all repeats.
I figure their hoses must not fit tight enough so I bypassed the upr hoses and used some vacum line with hose clamps but had just about the same condition as before.
Of course if I put on the factory hose and disconnect tbe battery for a minute or so everything returns to normal.
Any help would be appreciated!
Rwchck16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
your "bypass UPR hoses" statement, does that mean you bypassed the catch can or that you just connected the catch can using different hoses?

The catch-can itself can be leaking. it looks like a screw-together type, so you should have a big o-ring linking the top half of the can to the lower half. If that's in place and you're screwed together all the way, then my only other guess is that the hose barbs are not sealed to the can and so you're leaking air at around their threads.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
You have a huge vacuum leak... car is sucking air from some place make sure your in is going to the in on the can and out to the out... make sure you have tight fitting connections on the hose and on the can. Make sure the can is not leaking
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Did you remove anything such as the air intake hose or unplug the MAF sensor when you installed the catch can?
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post
You have a huge vacuum leak... car is sucking air from some place make sure your in is going to the in on the can and out to the out... make sure you have tight fitting connections on the hose and on the can. Make sure the can is not leaking
Agreed - vacuum leak. I had a similar issue caused by leaving the drain valve open on the bottom of a catch can after draining it. That caused the "mother of all vacuum leaks" and lead to a very rough and weird idling engine.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
Rwchck16SS

Cellsafemode, Infamus, Yotaman96, SSdan, thank you for the rapid fire response, I didn't expect replies so quicky!
So bypass meaning I removed the upr hoses that come with the kit which uses factory styled quick release connectors because they fit kinda loose so I figured vacum hose with hose clamps would solve the problem. Nope!
The o ring is in place where the bottom can separates from top section and is screwed tight together. Nothing else was disconnected, and the fittings in the oil can all have teflon type on the threads and are rather tight except the top connector which is a 90 but I would say it can not leak. The drain nut is seal with teflon type and is tight.
Symptoms of the motor are rough idle, and almost dies when stopped and in gear, holds high idle too long, shift through the gears abnormally, Slight back fire from time to time but very small, A slight loss of power, all this screams vacum leak I know.
Most be something about the can?
Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Rwchck16SS

I thought this little mod was install and forget about, no such luck for me though.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
well, it's obvious that you have a leak, you just haven't found it yet.

Take the entire thing off but keep the hoses it came with attached to the can.

Put the entire thing underwater except the end of one hose and cap the end of the other hose (keeping it underwater too) and blow in the exposed one. Find the bubbles.

no sense in wasting more time than that.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
Rwchck16SS

I would have to say that does make sense.
Thank you much and I look forward to future chats.
Great forum here you guys keep up the good work, cheers!
Old 04-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwchck16SS View Post
I could use some advice from those in the know.
2016 SS, stock, installed a upr oil catch can and then I got the check engine light along with the motor running like a sick dog!
Went to the local automotive store for a scan which showed a po171 code and po174 code. Yes that's right bank 1 and 2 running lean and then the computer compensates for the condition and it all repeats.
I figure their hoses must not fit tight enough so I bypassed the upr hoses and used some vacum line with hose clamps but had just about the same condition as before.
Of course if I put on the factory hose and disconnect tbe battery for a minute or so everything returns to normal.
Any help would be appreciated!

Sending you a PM
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote