Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #29
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Your dealer is probably using a rotary buffer and will never get the swirls out. They will only create more! Plus, they are not going to properly do a paint correction. When you get it ceramic coated, let them do it and in the meantime, maybe you should get a Random Orbital Buffer and learn how to do some of this yourself. Good Luck!
I agree with this post.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #30
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF8 View Post
As I said it fills in or camouflages the scratches. A scratch or a swirl mark is an area of missing paint, whether it’s clear or color coat.
So unless you spray it with more paint, nothing else can remove the scratch.
You need to read online about light reflection in car paint, there was a good article by a body shop with diagrams. It focused on buffing the area around the scratch or swirl to remove even more paint. That makes the angle less sharp and reduces the appearance of the scratch.

If you think paint correction fills in a scratch with actual paint I can’t help you any further. “Car cleaning guru” has a good definition of paint correction, notice the part about reflecting light:

Paint correction is a term that is now commonly used by both professional car detailers and car cleaning enthusiasts worldwide to describe the process of restoring and rejuvenating the paintwork of a vehicle, mostly through the elimination of surface imperfections, that dull, oxidize, or haze the surface by reflecting light off in various directions, therefore detracting from a true and proper, clean, sharp, reflection. These imperfections include things like swirl marks & fine scratches, bird dropping etching & acid rain etching, hologramming & buffer trails, and random isolated deep scratches (or RIDS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polishing LEVELS the clear coat through abrasion to remove the swirl marks. You are thinking of the process of using glaze. Glaze fills and camouflages swirls.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #31
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Your car looks great. Just drive it and don't worry about it. Draining your pockets for all these salon treatments for your car......so not worth it. It's a car. It's going to get dirty and crappy. Just hand wash it and nobody will ever notice anything.

I've been putting my '14 white Jetta threw a $6 car wash about once a month since new. Have never waxed it. And everyone always comments on how great it looks, lol. "It's 5yrs old? It looks new!" And it's parked outside mostly, lol. And it does look good....maybe b/c it's white. "Oh but that crappy car wash is doing damage to your car's paint." I could care less b/c it still looks good to me! I'll probably rinseless wash the SS though.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #32
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Funny, I just posted this on the light scratch thread, there is something like that already out.
https://youtu.be/7dWZkkc_G4E
Fascinating, I didn't know about this product. Thanks a lot for the link

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #33
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Don’t buy into this F 11 stuff… Do a search on the detail sites and you’ll find that anything that is touted real heavily on Facebook, usually ends up to be just a retread product of what’s already out there. F11 is expensive, and doesn’t do anything better than any of the other major players in the market now.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ht=F11+topcoat
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #34
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I feel like a lot of people are looking for that "magic" product, where they can beat the hell out of the paint and it still looking fantastic with no scratches, swirls, etc...bottom line, keeping a vehicle real nice take works, there are a lot of procedures and products that I have learned/found over the years to make it a lot easier to take care of, but it still requires work. Unfortunately there is no magic product out there and probably truly never really will be in our life times.

Compounding/paint correction is a lot of work if there are a lot of scratches and issues with the paint. But once it is corrected and properly protected, the upkeep is pretty easy, but again it still requires work.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #35
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Don’t buy into this F 11 stuff… Do a search on the detail sites and you’ll find that anything that is touted real heavily on Facebook, usually ends up to be just a retread product of what’s already out there. F11 is expensive, and doesn’t do anything better than any of the other major players in the market now.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ht=F11+topcoat
Who was pushing f11? I have never heard anything good about it

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 04-24-2019 at 09:55 AM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #36
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
If it's just swirls created by washing, they'll come out easily with a mild polish. Dealers likely use the same wash cloths/brushes to wash many cars a day. They don't use a two bucket process with a micro fiber mitt. A couple passes with M205 or something similar will do wonders for the paint. At least your car isn't black. Congrats on the new car!
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #37
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I feel like a lot of people are looking for that "magic" product, where they can beat the hell out of the paint and it still looking fantastic with no scratches, swirls, etc...bottom line, keeping a vehicle real nice take works, there are a lot of procedures and products that I have learned/found over the years to make it a lot easier to take care of, but it still requires work. Unfortunately there is no magic product out there and probably truly never really will be in our life times.

Compounding/paint correction is a lot of work if there are a lot of scratches and issues with the paint. But once it is corrected and properly protected, the upkeep is pretty easy, but again it still requires work.
To me specifically it's not being able to dodge some inevitable work that is attractive, I don't mind putting in the effort at all.

Rather, it's the promise that we could rebuild or repair the top layer instead of removing more and more of the already razor thin, very brittle clear on the Camaro during correction---this feels much more sustainable to an amateur like myself.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #38
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
If it's just swirls created by washing, they'll come out easily with a mild polish. Dealers likely use the same wash cloths/brushes to wash many cars a day. They don't use a two bucket process with a micro fiber mitt. A couple passes with M205 or something similar will do wonders for the paint. At least your car isn't black. Congrats on the new car!

SO....yesterday I got a call from a used car dealer who was way behind in getting cars cleaned. He asked how much to quick detail a car, inside/outside/engine. No buffing. No carpet extraction. I gave him my menu with my prices. He agreed to pay my price because he is over a barrel with empty lot spaces and dirty cars.

Today I went in and I got to see first hand why dealer cars are like they are. The wash method was spray with a garden hose, then wipe down with waterless wash spray and a dirty towel. They spray the engine down with the garden hose and wipe. A quick vacuum, glass cleaned with aerosol and a rag, and then a ton of thick, gloppy tire shine on the tires, the vinyl, the seats, everything. That's it.

After seeing that, I decided against the 2 bucket wash I had planned. I mixed up a bunch of rinseless solution. Sprayed the car down with garden hose, then sprayed it down with Optimum rinseless, and did the correct towel method for a rinseless wash. I dried the car with some quick wax as a drying aid. I used the Tornador blaster and Meguiar's All Purpose on the engine. I vacuumed well, addressed any spots on carpet or seats with stain remover. I cleaned every surface with the Tornador blaster. I wiped all the vinyl with Chem Guys New Car Shine, and all the seats Chem Guys sprayable leather cleaner. I sprayed odor neutralizer. I cleaned the glass with Meguiars streak free and a squeegee.

All in all, pretty easy work and its indoors. I'm used to outside work.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #39
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
I remember when I was a kid and tell my dad the reason his black car was so scratched up was because of the "paint safe brush" he used that was part of the diy carwash. He said I was wrong because if it scratched the paint they obviously wouldn't have it there. Fast toward 20-25 years to a few months ago and he is wondering why I'm ignoring his offer to help when I was trying some new product on his car when he stopped by. I did finally hand him a wheel brush JUST for the wheels, I knew he was good with those and then a towel to help dry

He started listening to me when I was 16 and realized my cars always looked better, even if they were older.