Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
Orangeman13

Drives: 2023 Black Camaro 2SS
Ordering a 2ss from scratch

So I’ve never ordered a car before. I’ve only bought new off the lot using search engines like CarGurus.

So, in order to get a good deal what’s the best way to approach a dealership? Should I sit down and build it with them and then discuss price?

Should I expect to pay MSRP since I’m ordering?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Orangeman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Do not order from anywhere that will not give u a price minus available factory discounts available at time of sale.

If you cannot find one in your area, Becky D. here is a straight shooter.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:09 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
No, there is absolutely no need to pay MSRP, you can expect applicable discounts to be applied, as 3.8TransAM said. I ordered my 2SS and the price I paid was about 10% off MSRP.

If there is a dealer you have a good relationship with, then yeah, you can pretty much build it together in their dealer order app. Alternatively, you can order from Becky D here, she is super helpful and can ship the car to your door. However, to me the service department experience matters a lot more in the long run than the one-off sales transaction (of course, assuming you do your research before buying, avoid various upsold extra items and bogus fees, and hold your ground with the finance person in case you go to a dealership to order).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
I got the run around from several dealerships regarding options and pricing. I finally found Becky and she is amazing. We walked through the options first and she knows more about these cars than anyone else I've met combined so she can answer any and all questions when configuring. She then worked with me to get me the best deal with as many discounts as possible all over the phone and email. There are a lot of people here from across the country that would recommend her. You're a couple hours away so it wouldn't hurt to give her a call.

Last edited by Frankie18SS; 04-04-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Frankie18SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:57 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman13 View Post
So I’ve never ordered a car before. I’ve only bought new off the lot using search engines like CarGurus.

So, in order to get a good deal what’s the best way to approach a dealership? Should I sit down and build it with them and then discuss price?

I just ordered my first car EVER in early November 2019 (a 2020 2SS in Shadow Gray Metallic)... Took deliver Jan 17, 2020...

DO NOT, EVER, EVER, EVER PAY MSRP, EVEN IF YOU ARE ORDERING, EVER!!!

Here is what I did...

I spent a couple months playing with the Chevy car configuration on their website and figured out EXACTLY what I wanted... THEN I removed everything I could buy and install myself and came up with 2 different configurations (one fully loaded, and then one with only things I wanted that I couldn't/didn't want to install myself)..

I sent my request via the Chevy website to 6 dealers within about 75 miles or so to get "bids"... 3 came back basically telling me "if you order, you'll pay MSRP"... One even went as far as telling me "If you order, you MUST pay MSRP, that is GM's RULE and any dealer not abiding by that is breaking GM's "rule" and is risking their entire dealership" (unfortunately, that was the closest dealership to me (they are located in Escondido, CA) and the one I had originally planned to buy from as they always had 8-10 Camaros on the lot (I live in SoCal, Camaro's aren't all that popular, a heck of a lot more BMW's, Mercedes and Tesla's, so I was excited they seemed to carry a fair amount of Camaro's)))...

3 of the other dealers started giving me prices WELL below MSRP (plus any additional incentives available at time of delivery (above and beyond the price I negotiated))... I finally came down to 2 dealers and pitted them against each other, I may have told each a few "white lies" about the price the other was offering but finally got a price I was very happy with (and a bit surprised with!) from the dealer I purchased from in Carlsbad, CA... Went in, placed the order and put down my $500 REFUNDABLE deposit... (I paid about 10% below MSRP, you will always pay more when ordering a car than buying one off the lot, but I wanted what I wanted and there wasn't a single exact match in the country (I actually would have paid MSRP if absolutely necessary to get what I wanted but I wasn't going to go down without a fight!))

It made a LOT more financial sense to "order" the car with the options that I wanted that I couldn't/didn't want to install myself... I was able to order everything else from places like ShopChevyParts.com at a significant discount and easily install myself (plus it was a hell of a lot of fun to customize my own car!) (This saved me about another $1,000+ doing it myself (most options are VERY easy installs!))

Here is what I ordered:
- 2020 2SS Shadow Gray Metallic
- 10 Speed Automatic Transmission
- Magnetic Ride Control
- Dual Mode Exhaust (NPP)
- Red Brake Calipers
- 20" 5 Spoke Carbon Flash Painted Wheels
- Black Camaro Fender Logo Badge
- Illuminated Footwells

After delivery, I self installed the following options:

- GM Performance Cold Air Intake (35 minute install)
- Black Lug Nuts (20 minute install)
- Black Wheel Locks (install time included with the Black Lug Nuts)
- GM Body Color Splash Guards (45 minute install)
- GM Performance Black Strut Tower Brace (10 minute install)
- Black Fuel Filler Door with Gloss Insert (1 minute install)
- GM Black SS Center Wheel Caps (need to remove wheels, but otherwise 5 minute install)
- GM Alloy Sport Pedal Kit (10 minute install)
- GM All Weather Cargo Mat (30 Second install)
- GM Embroidered Center Counsel Lid with SS Logo (5 Minute install)

(Additional Non-GM Items added by me after delivery)
- Mishimoto Catch Can (15 minute install)
- Diode Dynamics Smoker LED Marker Lights (30 minute install)
- Phastek Hero Smoked Rear Reflectors (20 minute install)

(I didn't include things like Paint Protection Film (PPF), Ceramic Coating or Window Tint... ALL highly recommended...)

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my 2SS the way it turned out... Don't settle, DO NOT pay MSRP!!! Get the options you want, add on what you can, enjoy the car!!! Life is too short and I waited far too long to get mine, but I LOVE it!!!

Enjoy your new car and make it your's, you are ABSOLUTELY going to LOVE it! The 2SS is a BEAST! and a total BLAST to drive!!!

Here is my baby...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...

Last edited by 2SS Capt; 04-05-2020 at 12:15 AM.
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I ordered on 3/6.

Out of 3 dealers, 2 wouldn't go below invoice and one wanted slightly more (3-4 hundie).
That was even trying to go thru the "Costco Auto" thingie.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
To the OP, dealerships do not exist without customers.
Sadly, many dealerships take advantage of people.
When buying from many general motors dealerships, it's a question of who has the most "endurance" you or the dealership.
As others have stated, if all else fails go through Becky.

I bought my 2017 off the lot, at the price I offered,however, it was April 2018 and they had the car for around 18 months and they were happy to move the car. The car was a special order car that the initial customer did not purchase. I purchased from a dealership over 200 miles away from my home because they had the car I wanted and were willing to deal.

Always deal from the point the dealership has to "earn" your business. If the dealership does not have this attitude, move on.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
No, there is absolutely no need to pay MSRP, you can expect applicable discounts to be applied, as 3.8TransAM said. I ordered my 2SS and the price I paid was about 10% off MSRP.

If there is a dealer you have a good relationship with, then yeah, you can pretty much build it together in their dealer order app. Alternatively, you can order from Becky D here, she is super helpful and can ship the car to your door. However, to me the service department experience matters a lot more in the long run than the one-off sales transaction (of course, assuming you do your research before buying, avoid various upsold extra items and bogus fees, and hold your ground with the finance person in case you go to a dealership to order).
Becky D +1000. She is the bomb. I have bought many cars and buying from her has been by far my best car purchase ever. No BS or waiting from her. I did the Detroit delivery. It was worth a plane ride. And the drive home broke in my LT1. It is ready for Atco if it ever reopens. :(

Old 04-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My idea is if you can’t find what you want at any of the dealerships then by all means order one with all the options and colors you want to have in a new Camaro SS or any other Camaro model!
Old 04-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
My local dealer told me the only discounts you get ordering a car is what’s available when you pick up your car not what’s available when you order it. I guess they could give you something off from the dealer if no discounts are available or more money on a trade in
Old 04-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #11
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
My local dealer told me the only discounts you get ordering a car is what’s available when you pick up your car not what’s available when you order it. I guess they could give you something off from the dealer if no discounts are available or more money on a trade in
That is a flat out lie, you can absolutely negotiate a price when ordering (if the dealer wants to)... The other incentives are what is available at delivery (not at time of order)... When I ordered my 2020 2SS last November, GM was doing $1,500 customer cash, when I finally took delivery in mid-January, GM was only doing $1,250 customer cash, I got the $1,250 off (but I had already negotiated a price well below MSRP so the $1,250 came off my already negotiated price...)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #12
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I just ordered my first car EVER in early November 2019 (a 2020 2SS in Shadow Gray Metallic)... Took deliver Jan 17, 2020...

DO NOT, EVER, EVER, EVER PAY MSRP, EVEN IF YOU ARE ORDERING, EVER!!!

Here is what I did...

Enjoy your new car and make it your's, you are ABSOLUTELY going to LOVE it! The 2SS is a BEAST! and a total BLAST to drive!!!

Here is my baby...

Great Post! And good work. And beautiful in a badass way, good looking car. As you are laying out getting a the best deal is hard work. I have done some of that too.

This time I decided to end up with MY Camaro with no fighting the system and go with Becky.

but first I had to sell my ZL1. I advertised it to guage interest and there was none unless I wanted to give away my ZL1 which I did with my 2016 2SS Ordering is easier without a trade. So I went to a Chevy dealer and got an outright just buy the car drom me price.

This is really your real trade in price. Then I went to CarMax and they gave me $3K more. This number more than makes up for the sales tax I would save. So I ended up selling my car to them in under an hour with a check in my hand. Sweet!

One of ny bggest concerns gong with Becky was getting help with my order. I may have gotten a little better price on my own but she added real service to the deal. I waded deep into the option list which is a bit of a mess with Camaros. She helped me with that and cleaned up my wish list. Then she kept me updated on the order progress.

She also arranged with Al to have my Camaro built on my Birthday. (Just kidding, but that did happen, serendipity?)

I ordered some dealer installed items and once the car cam in she looked over what i bought and helped me make the best looking interior choices of the DIY stuff by trying different choices and sending me pics of each. Since I needed to end up buying the car remotely to get all the incentives she overnighted the paperwork so we could get it done on time.

So last part of my dream plan was to pick up the car in Detroit and drive it home. She and her husband even gave me a tour of downtown Detroit and bought me lunch. The drive home was a blast, even the endless PA Turnpike.

And to top it all off I feel like I made a friend.

Did I just describe buying a car or was it a dream?
Old 04-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #13
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
With my 18 Hotwheels I emailed all local dealers and had them quote the pricing, I told them how I wanted it specked out.
Out of 6 dealers (only 2 replied) only one was serious and made a customer out of me.

You should be able to get a killer deal right now!

Tim
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #14
ChewDub

Drives: 2020 2ss 1le Satin Steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman13 View Post

Is GM/Chevy able to fill a new order at this point? any news about when plants will be back up and running
ChewDub is offline   Reply With Quote