Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 08-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
IIRC, that was a brake line failure.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #16
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
You have to swap out the other fluids much more frequently than Castrol srf and nothing really beats the resistance to Boiling of Castrol srf. Motul in particular must be swapped out regularly
Yeah one thing people don't consider is how quickly some of the race fluids can go from "Dry" to "Wet". Motul is kind of known for being quicker than most to absorb water...not crazy but certainly not among the longer lasting choices. It makes up for it by being not all that expensive and really the lifespan lines up with the frequency that most people like to bleed their brakes for stiffer feel.

I use the Castrol SRF and have been enjoying it so far. I'll know more next race season as this season was cut short for me due to motor problems.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #17
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
For fluids that absorbed water quickly just flush before a track day.

I'm curious about Brembo Racing HTC 64T better hot compressibility than Castrol. I purchased a brake fluid moisture gauge to check up on it but won't be using it until ~December
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #18
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
My vote for Castrol SRF. My 2010 2SS was brutal on the brakes with DBA rotors and Hawk DTC 70 front and DTC 60 rears. Ran Inde Motorsports Ranch and used new for 1 weekend, bled for the second weekend and replaced after that. After any weekend, felt spongy until bled. Great fluid, but any of them take a beating slowing down 4000 pounds when late braking.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:42 AM   #19
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
This page breaks it down perfectly:
https://thebuildjournal.com/tech-gui...view-analysis/
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:22 AM   #20
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
OP, you can do an occasional light track day on your OEM fluid. If you are not pushing the car very hard, you can get away with it easily. However when you start to push the limits, you will need something better. Read the linked article it explains everything.

When I got my 1LE, I bled and replaced the OEM fluid with Motul 600 because it was late in the season and I was quickly coming up on 2-3 track days that I wanted to do. I knew it wasn't "the best" but it was cheap and would be good enough to get me through a few track days. Next year I'll start off with fresh SRF.

If you track your car, break fluid becomes a consumable. You have two options--use cheaper tier 2 fluid such as Motul and replace it regularly. Or, use more expensive tier 1 and it will last longer and have better performance. From what I understand, you could track with SRF throughout a season and then keep it in your car for the rest of the year. Perhaps someone can jump in with more experience here...could you then go on to track it the next season still on the same SRF?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote