Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - New England

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #15
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
I was in my Optima thank the sweet lord. 5 hours to get home. If I was in my Camaro I honestly would have had a nervous breakdown, it was really bad. An M3 ahead of me was trying to feather the gas pedal and each time he went sideways.

It was nice to see several F150's and SUV's slid off the side of the road - tough guys thinking " this is why I drive a truck...whooaaaaaaaa helllllp!!!!"
Old 11-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #16
FERRARI

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Auto
Drove in snow today. Also will be second winter of driving a ZL1 in snow. Car drives better than expected. Have PIRELLI SOTTOZERO winter tires on all around - original equipment sizes. Used Tour mode last year. This year trying to remember to switch to Snow and Ice mode. Did so today (switched) - Car seems to ride higher (more ground clearance). Anyone else have this sensation?
Note - these tires are monsters (a good thing) in rain!!
1969 Pontiac GTO Judge
2004 Pontiac GTO
2006 Pontiac GTO
FERRARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #17
luke2220

Drives: 16 black on black camaro rs
yeah, that snowstorm was random and more than expected... fortunately I have a second car for the winter just seeing how the salt, brine, and everything rusted out my winter beater makes me put away my Camaro for the snowy times. I, however, got stuck one time in the snow in the Camaro and with snow and ice mode actually was able to drive home in like 4-5 inches of snow without any problems with all seasons. So i would imagine with snow tires and snow/ice mode it would be okay. Also, I think depending on the model would make a difference obviously with a ZL1 I doubt it would go anywhere in the snow no matter what kind of tires you have.

NPP Fuse Pull Exhaust Upgrade!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdkmmIe1gY
DIY Inexpensive undercarriage washer!
https://youtu.be/a2iMtVYMw9I
Make tires look new!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGQyzzpEH8o
Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDo...2UkgZW05nJPSHA
Second Youtube Channel (Money topic):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM5...4LWhcVaTjmPnkg
luke2220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #18
RuthleSSchevy

Drives: 2016Camaro+1968Chevelle+1954BelAir
We have a good 5-8 " out there this morning. It will be my 3rd winter driving the M6 6th gen and 2nd winter at 600+rwhp/tq. The michelein xice 2 in 275 square are outstanding and you feel incontrol at speed on slippery surfaces and excellent dry traction. Car is a tank. Be safe and look ahead!
Old 11-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #19
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Had the Camaro out yesterday till noon, then garaged it and took out the Jeep. What normally would have been a 20min ride to pick up my wife turned into 4 hours. All the city agencies in the northeast dropped the ball big time with this one!
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #20
BrianF

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I have Pirelli Sotozero II in stock SS sizes.

We mainly had sleet/freezing rain/snow in MD. For the most part the roads were fairly clear with temperatures above freezing, I did have to make a detour because of an accident and go down an uncleared road, going down A fairly steep hill in the slosh, I was not sure if I was rolling or just doing a controlled slide. It felt a little sketchy, I owned plowed a little snow with my front splitter. The 3 inches of slush in my driveway made me spin the back tires a bit while I was turning around to back my car in the garage.

All in all seems like it did okay, the snow made the car at least driveable. I will say it is no where as fun or controlling as any of my Evos or Focus RS with snow tires. Those cars I couldn't wait until the weather was bad.
BrianF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #21
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
I find the car is fine in the snow as long as you have some tigers
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:35 AM   #22
Camaro85

Drives: 2015 SS
It amazes me the amount of people that have been driving 20 plus years in winter weather, and every year the first snowfall they revert to full retard mode like they have never driven in it. Only had a couple of inches and saw 4 or 5 cars off the road. It's not that hard to drive in the snow, just takes some common sense.
Camaro85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:05 AM   #23
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro85 View Post
It amazes me the amount of people that have been driving 20 plus years in winter weather, and every year the first snowfall they revert to full retard mode like they have never driven in it. Only had a couple of inches and saw 4 or 5 cars off the road. It's not that hard to drive in the snow, just takes some common sense.
Alas, common sense is not so common.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #24
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
My 2016 SS never left the garage; and now that the salt has hit the roads will probably not be out again until spring. I'll be driving the Jeep for the foreseeable future.

In the late 70s I had a beater 1969 Camaro (with the straight 6). Not sure if "summer only" tires were a thing back then, but I had put a set of Goodyears on that I guess were all season. Like most cars, that little Camaro did ok in the snow as long as I was gentle with my control inputs. It would spin the rear very easily even on a flat driveway, though, if there was snow. I really had to tip toe around, but it always got me to where I was going.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #25
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
I only drive my SS on dry warm days. No rain or snow. Because of the goodyear f1 tires I don't drive it under 40 degrees. I also do this on my 72 corvette. That's why it has no rust.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #26
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Yesterday I got my General All-Seasons on but I'm not driving my car in the snow anyways. For that I have a 2500 Duramax which gets me pulling people out of ditches. 4Lo barely let it idle and they are out.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #27
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
Roads in PA sucked to , no reason why roads weren’t plowed and salted they knew it was coming for 5-6 days , they didn’t even pre-treat the roads which they should have.
The weather people dropped the ball , they were calling for a coating to 1 inch then turn to rain . We had 5 inches of snow on the ground by 1 pm then sleet and never went to rain till after 6 . Took me 4 hours to go 16 miles but i was driving my Traverse and never broke traction ,the Camaro is tucked away till April .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #28
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post
I was in my Optima thank the sweet lord. 5 hours to get home. If I was in my Camaro I honestly would have had a nervous breakdown, it was really bad. An M3 ahead of me was trying to feather the gas pedal and each time he went sideways.

It was nice to see several F150's and SUV's slid off the side of the road - tough guys thinking " this is why I drive a truck...whooaaaaaaaa helllllp!!!!"
I spent 4 hours on the road getting home in my Traverse and did not see one Truck or SUV stuck or off road , i did see 25 other cars mostly front wheel and all wheel drive that was spun around the wrong way or stuck going up hills . Many people ran out of gas .I can say that when weather gets bad like that the stupid people shine in there own stupidity . I seen a Subaru WRX stuck on a slight hill , i guess he was still on his summer tires because he was getting no where .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote