Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-18-2018, 04:50 AM   #57
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
I've posted the following several times because people think it is helpful. I thought long and hard while developing the following jacking method and have used it successfully on multiple occasions. If you've seen it before, forgive me for being redundant.

I don't like lifting my car. In fact, I have nightmares about it lying flat on the garage floor with the wheels off and no way for me to raise it. Soooo.....I'm sharing the most conservative approach I could come up with short of buying ramps that slide too easily or a drive on lift that's too expensive for my budget.

1. Equipment: (4) Torin 6000 lb aluminum jack stands purchased at Pep Boys, (2) 4000 lb jacks, and ZL-1 Addons Permanent Lift Pads for Gen 6 convertibles. (Note the stands are also available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Big-Alu...k+stands+3+ton)

2. Equipment Locations: I started with the front and used the Cross Brace attachment bolts shown in the photographs as the points to locate the floor jack saddles. For the front, I used the outer bolt (circled in red) and for the rear I used the inner bolt (circled in yellow). The Torin jack stands have a saddle that fits the ZL-1 Lift Pads perfectly and the base on them is small enough that interference between the floor jack and stand is eliminated. In my method, a wider based jack stand would not have worked due to interference problems.

3. Jacking Procedure: Since I wanted to avoid twisting the body, I centered the jacks on the cross brace bolt (circled in red) in the front and gradually raised the car by going from side to side in small increments until I got to the height I wanted. After making sure the front was secure on the jack stands, I used the inner cross brace bolt (circled in yellow) to raise the rear using the same side to side method.

Conclusion, I was getting the car ready for the Dallas Autorama so thoroughly cleaning wheels, wheel wells and the bottom of the car was a necessity. Using my method, I heard no creaks in the body, or other evidence of twisting or misalignment. Also, the stands are extremely secure, take up the smallest amount of room possible, and don't scratch the floor. Yep, my method ain't cheap but it costs a lot less than the damage accruing from my beloved Camaro falling off a jack.
Attached Images
Attached Images

ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote