Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
kreh

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1LT RS
Changing Handling

So I was looking into buying a V6 LT1, and I know there is such thing as electronic suspension, throttle controllers, and all that stuff, but I don't believe that the handling changes with the changing of drive modes, I know it does in the SS models, and I am unsure about it in the LT2 models of the V6 and I4, but I was wondering if there is any aftermarket tech or engineering I can get done to have multiple handling options, like stiffer for track or looser for daily driving.
kreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
On a car without mag ride, you can only change steering and trans shift characteristics. You need mag ride to change ride quality, period. Don’t know if there’s aftermarket mods to do it, but you’re probably better off just buying an SS that has mag ride it that’s what you want. Not sure if it’s an option on the LT1, but if so you could go that way and save some $$.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
You do realize the LT1 is a V8, and the a V6 can be either a 1LT or 2LT right?
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:34 PM   #4
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
To be fair, GMs ability to make their trim names as confusing as possible is unmatched lol, Im still trying to figure out the whole RS thing for the 5th gens
Old 10-27-2020, 12:28 AM   #5
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
LOL. I was going to post the same thing.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #6
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I'm sure with enough money and time, you could get the Mag ride to go on and function like it does for the cars it came on. I personally would put that money elsewhere though.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreh View Post
So I was looking into buying a V6 LT1, and I know there is such thing as electronic suspension, throttle controllers, and all that stuff, but I don't believe that the handling changes with the changing of drive modes, I know it does in the SS models, and I am unsure about it in the LT2 models of the V6 and I4, but I was wondering if there is any aftermarket tech or engineering I can get done to have multiple handling options, like stiffer for track or looser for daily driving.
That's exactly what the MR suspension does. You'll get more damping for a stiffer ride in track, slightly softer in sport, then cushy for street driving in tour and snow/ice modes. There's not a full aftermarket system to add on later that does this if it doesn't come from the factory. Closest would be get a full set of coilovers or dampers that have remote adjustment, but it won't be as refined as the factory system. Side note, the drive modes also change steering effort by changing the amount of assist from the electric power steering system, change throttle pedal response, and change NPP response if you have dual exhaust from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I'm sure with enough money and time, you could get the Mag ride to go on and function like it does for the cars it came on. I personally would put that money elsewhere though.
Maybe, but not likely to work unless you've got connections within GM. Whole new wiring harness and a bunch of different hardware would need to be added, plus then a couple of different modules would need to be flashed with new software to communicate properly with the damper controller. Would be a large tear-up and likely more expensive than just trading for a car that has MR from the factory. I wholeheartedly agree that money would be better spent elsewhere haha
Old 10-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you cant put factory mag ride on a non mag ride car. you can put the shocks on with a aftermarket controller but it will cost you more then its worth. just get the mag ride.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #9
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
And Mag ride on the softest setting is not all that soft or very different from the base non MGRC ride in my Gen6 experience. IMO all Camaros are built to handle well. If you want a nice riding pony car buy a base Challenger. It is a much better car. But not as much fun.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
I'm glad that you said V6 before LT1, which lets me know that you're not talking about the V8 instead of a V6 lol.

Wish they named the LT1 something else, like LT-X.

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreh View Post
Yeah, you can easily upgrade a V6 to mag ride ....

....by trading in the car for a V8 with mag ride.

Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote