Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-01-2020, 03:42 AM   #1
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Drive axle boot tear

Went to a tire shop yesterday to get a screw out of my tire and patch it up, the guy calls me over and points out my outer drive axle boot probably has a tear in it somewhere because there was a load of grease all over my rear suspension. 2 days earlier I got my car serviced and didn't have an issue so the problem was noticed very quickly, so I do believe (read: hope) my axle hasn't gotten damaged, but now I'm in a bit of a pickle, the shop doesnt have any times available until early December, and by then, I will have put my car in winter storage, so itll have to wait until spring to get it fixed. Now I am wondering, I'm not planning to drive the car, but I would very much like to take a final spin and a thorough wash before a 5 month break, is this smart or potentially extremely dumb? And second, should I clean the grease off or is there risk of dirt/sand/whatever accidentally going into the boot and potentially ruining my axle?

Edit: theres only 2 certified Camaro/Corvette shops within a 300km vicinity of me, otherwise Idve just taken it to a different shop of course
Old 10-01-2020, 03:55 AM   #2
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
You’ll “probably” be alright.

It’s not only the loss of lubricant for the joint, but also contamination that can wreck it.

Don’t know how long it’s been torn, how much grease you’ve lost, how much road debris, if any, has gotten in their.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:30 AM   #3
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
You’ll “probably” be alright.

It’s not only the loss of lubricant for the joint, but also contamination that can wreck it.

Don’t know how long it’s been torn, how much grease you’ve lost, how much road debris, if any, has gotten in their.
Yeah thats the issue haha, that "probably"... well at most its been 2 days, because there was no issue at the shop after service, so at most, if we assume it tore right then and there, Ive driven roughly 140km/90 miles with it
Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I think you will be okay as long as the car is stored in a garage and out of the weather. There’s not much you can do since you are going to store the car away for the winter months before it can be repaired.��